PDA

View Full Version : jimmy page says zepplin will tour.

vh rides again
01-28-2008, 04:36 PM
By ERIC TALMADGE, Associated Press Writer Mon Jan 28, 8:04 AM ET
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080128/ap_on_en_mu/people_led_zeppelin
TOKYO - Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page said Monday he was ready to take the iconic band on a world tour after burning up the stage at last month's reunion concert in London. But it probably won't be before September.
ADVERTISEMENT

"The amount of work we put into O2 was what you would normally put into a world tour anyway," Page, 64, said of the intense rehearsing the band did for the Dec. 10 concert at London's O2 Arena.

The band's three surviving members — Page, singer Robert Plant and bassist-keyboardist John Paul Jones — were joined at the sold-out benefit show by the late John Bonham's son Jason on drums.

Page, who was in Japan to promote the new Zeppelin release, "Mothership," said the two-hour-plus concert was proof that Led Zeppelin can still perform at its best.

He said the band, which formed in 1968, was ready musically to get back together and take it out on a wider run, but it was not clear when it would go on tour as the singer had other plans.

"Robert Plant has a parallel project and he is busy with that until September," Page said.

Plant and bluegrass star Alison Krauss will begin their world tour with a run of shows in the southern U.S. this spring. The two released an album in October called "Raising Sand" that debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard chart in the U.S. The duo will tour Europe in May before returning for North American shows still to be announced for June and July.

Page said the band set their standards very high before agreeing to do the reunion, their first in 20 years. Led Zeppelin broke up in 1980 after the elder Bonham's death.

Page said they rehearsed for weeks, apprehensive that the cohesion they had in the 1970s when they were at their peak might be hard to rediscover.

"We wanted people who might not have even been alive in 1980 when we finished to understand what we were," he said.

Page said all went well until he broke a finger in three places, forcing the band to postpone the show for several weeks.

"But we did the show, and it was great," he said. "It was instant in terms of chemistry."

78/84 guy
01-28-2008, 06:09 PM
You forgot the second E !!!

vh rides again
01-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by 78/84 guy
You forgot the second E !!! pick yourself up and go on with your life, everything will be ok.

Panamark
01-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Great news !

I bet those that paid a million dollars for the reunion gig
are spittin chunks now.... lol :D

I'll go check it out when they hit Sydney..

ODShowtime
01-28-2008, 07:30 PM
I couldn't figure out why you'd do that much work for one show...

Terry
01-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime

Probably because their other one-offs like Live Aid and the 1988 gig were far less than stellar, and they were doing a full set for the recent London show, and a full-length mediocre set would suck even worse than both Live Aid and the 1988 Atlantic Records gig or not even bothering at all to begin with.

Personally, I think the recent gig was overhyped JUST a little bit:rolleyes: but was easily one of the better reunions they've had. Was still about what I expected; Jones played well, Jason Bonham played well, Plant did okay with what range he has left and Page was a bit fumble-fingered at times.

Wasn't really the second coming of Zeppelin, IMO, and it never will be. That time is gone. But if those guys did take that lineup out on the road, clearly they would make a shitload of dough.

Would still bet that Plant doesn't want to do a 'Zeppelin' full-length tour, though.

ELVIS
01-30-2008, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by ODShowtime

To do it right...

They suck without proper rehersal...anyone does...

binnie
01-30-2008, 02:44 AM
I hope that this happens, I really do, but Plant has to be on board too. I get the feeling that he might be a little reluctant....

Bill Lumbergh
01-30-2008, 03:49 AM
I'm all for this....no new music, nothing long term, just a year or so on the road....

bueno bob
01-30-2008, 11:00 AM
I guess I'd go. I'm not spending $100 on tickets, though, they may as well get that shit out of their heads...only thing I'd spend that much money on would be an original Van Halen reunion...fuck, I'd spend $500 for that...or more...but that's about the only exception...

binnie
01-30-2008, 01:20 PM
If they DO tour, they have to do it right - this HAS to be the biggest tour in the history of rock n roll. They could sell out anywhere....

indeedido
01-30-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm there. They still have it. I think the page/plant album was good.

PHOENIX
01-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Bring it on!

Matt White
01-30-2008, 10:57 PM
I'd give a up a kidney to see that show........:p

Howlin' Wolf
01-31-2008, 01:07 AM
The Debil is the fifth membah of Led Zeppelin,,,...

bueno bob
01-31-2008, 01:33 AM
Well, since my bassist for Van Halen bid didn't go so well, if Jason can't do the tour...I'm free... :D

Somebody call The Guy, quick!!

binnie
01-31-2008, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob

Somebody call The Guy, quick!!

I think it best that he never returns!!

Panamark
02-01-2008, 12:55 AM
I wonder if they would open with the "Immigrant Song" like
they did last time they played in Sydney (1972 !!)

Its been a longer wait than real Van Halen !!!

Panamark
02-01-2008, 12:59 AM
Oh and for the record, I was not in attendance.
(Still a baby !)

Heres some footage from that gig..

http://www.noolmusic.com/blogs/YouTube_Music_Videos_60s_70s_-_Led_Zeppelin_live_in_Sydney_Australia.shtml

LoungeMachine
02-01-2008, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by vh rides again

Page said all went well until he broke a finger in three places,

Would anyone have really noticed?

:gulp:

He may not be Keef Richards sloppy in his old age, but he's damn close.

LoungeMachine
02-01-2008, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Panamark

Its been a longer wait than real Van Halen !!!

Still waiting !!!

Panamark
02-01-2008, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Still waiting !!!

Hey dont complain !

Unless you consider the Phoney Cheronie rides the
Baloney Pony version of Van Halen, "REAL" then we
have never had the real deal on our shores :mad: :D

binnie
02-01-2008, 04:15 AM

the Phoney Cheronie rides the
Baloney Pony version of Van Halen,

LOL!!!

Classic!

Panamark
02-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by binnie
LOL!!!

Classic!

It is !! And whats even funnier is Dave said it, in
a media interview !!! lol :D

jhale667
02-01-2008, 11:40 PM
It is !! And whats even funnier is Dave said it, in
a media interview !!! lol :D

Which is probably exactly why they're trying to keep him away from the media at the moment, huh? :D

Terry
02-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Recently had the opportunity to sit down and take a longer look and listen to the recent Zep reunion, and it actually wasn't half bad...certainly much better than my initial impressions of it.

Think I was concentrating more on the bum notes of it when I first heard it (one must admit Stairway was botched, and several of the songs didn't sound quite right as a result of tuning down to accomodate Plant's somewhat diminished range), but For Your Life, In My Time Of Dying and Kashmir sounded quite good. Page played a lot better than I expected him to - he's always been a bit fumble-fingered live at times, anyways.

WARF
02-10-2008, 04:36 AM
They need to put Jason Bonham on his dad's ludwig green sparkle!!

http://www.blackfrogmusic.com/pics/bonham/bonham1.jpg

Nickdfresh
02-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Terry
...Page played a lot better than I expected him to - he's always been a bit fumble-fingered live at times, anyways.

He was only "fumble-fingered" when he had needles sticking out of his arms...

Check out "How the West was Won" CD live from 72'-73'...

Terry
02-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Hell, the best boots one can find for Zep are the ones concentrating on the tours for the first through fourth albums.

Had a boot years ago of them touring for the fourth album, and Stairway was just spot-fuckin-ON; vocals, guitars, everything.

But they sounded pretty good overall at the recent gig.

Doubt I'd bother to go see 'em, but it would probably be a very satisfying show for Zep maniacs if they were able to put in those kinds of performances at every gig; wouldn't be a desecration of what came before.

LoungeMachine
02-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Meh....

There have always been studio bands, and live bands...

LZ was always a studio band.

Sloppy live. Not Stones sloppy, but nonetheless....

Regardless, if 3/4 of LZ is going to tour, I say bully for them.

Maybe a certain guitar god we know of could learn a lesson from it.

Once a founding member is gone, he's gone.

Matt White
02-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by WARF
They need to put Jason Bonham on his dad's ludwig green sparkle!!

http://www.blackfrogmusic.com/pics/bonham/bonham1.jpg

That's the kit BONZO recorded ZEPPELIN IV with...I think its the only one PAT BONHAM kept....

JASON has the clear one from the SONG REMAINS THE SAME....

ODShowtime
02-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Meh....

There have always been studio bands, and live bands...

LZ was always a studio band.

Sloppy live. Not Stones sloppy, but nonetheless....

At their best they were the best live band on the planet. Listen to any show from 1971. Gee, except the BBC show that's released... that one is kind of sloppy :rolleyes: