• LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

White House Defends Waterboarding

White House Defends CIA's Use of 'Waterboarding' Interrogation Technique
    By Paula Wolfson
    White House
    06 February 2008

The White House is defending the use of the interrogation technique known as waterboarding in certain, rare circumstances when suspects are believed to have knowledge of an imminent threat. VOA's Paula Wolfson reports the Central Intelligence Agency now admits it used the technique roughly five years ago on three top terror suspects.

Tony Fratto, 04 Jan 2008
    White House spokesman Tony Fratto says President Bush personally authorized the disclosure - breaking with the long-standing practice in the administration of refusing comment on specific interrogation techniques.

He says the decision to have Central Intelligence Agency chief Michael Hayden go before a Congressional committee and reveal the use of waterboarding in the past was difficult, because it could provide the enemy with information about the CIA's program for questioning terror suspects.

"This decision to allow General Hayden to talk about the technique wasn't taken lightly," Fratto said. "There was discussion of great concern about starting to talk about something we don't ordinarily do for reasons that we feel very strongly about."

Fratto says so much misinformation has been disseminated about the interrogation program, that the White House felt it was time to set the record straight.

Fratto says waterboarding - which simulates drowning - was approved in a few specific instances and with certain safeguards in place.

The CIA banned the practice in 2006. Fratto says interrogators might be able to use it again, but emphasized they would need authorization from the president to do so.

He noted that any CIA request to use the technique would have to be declared legal by the Justice Department before consideration at the White House. He says approval depends on the circumstances, adding one important factor would be the belief that an attack might be imminent.

"Any change to the enhanced interrogation technique that may be used will follow the process that I outlined which includes a legal review and notification of Congress," he said.

Critics have called waterboarding a form of torture. But Fratto says its use in the past under the conditions approved by the attorney general and the president was legal.

On Capitol Hill, a senior Democrat - Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois - denounced the use of waterboarding under any circumstances. He noted that in its annual human rights report, the U.S. State Department is quick to condemn other nations that use harsh interrogation techniques on prisoners.

"So once a year we stand in judgment of the world, and condemn them for engaging in waterboarding and torture techniques on their prisoners," he said. "And yet it is clear from the testimony yesterday of General Hayden, that we have engaged in some of those own techniques."

The U.N.'s torture investigator also responded to the CIA disclosure, calling on the Bush administration to give up its defense of enhanced interrogation methods such as waterboarding. Manfred Nowak told the Associated Press in Geneva that these techniques are totally unacceptable under international law.

Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5lbWV4GKeDg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5lbWV4GKeDg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

• hideyoursheep
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2007

No unit insignia on the shoulders, no rank displayed,

old woodland camo uniforms, not desert fatigues,

clean shaven prisoners with more chins than a chinese phonebook-

This looks staged.

"Faces of Death : Gitmo"

?

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I'm sure it's a reenactment but does that matter?

Comment

• hideyoursheep
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2007

YES.

Propaganda films used to sensationalize anything by either side is BS.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Waterboarding is torture.

The clip is totally justified and not overstated in any way.

Until(as if) real video of waterboarding by the US authorities is released then it's important that people can see what it involves.

I don't see how you can see this as propoganda...

Comment

• vh rides again
              Commando
              • Dec 2006

they should be dripping acid on their faces instead of water.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by vh rides again
                they should be dripping acid on their faces instead of water.
                No shit. I'll go on record as saying I don't have a problem with torture. Your own forces do it also, Sesh. You're deluded if you don't think it does.
                “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                  No unit insignia on the shoulders, no rank displayed,

old woodland camo uniforms, not desert fatigues,

clean shaven prisoners with more chins than a chinese phonebook-

This looks staged.

"Faces of Death : Gitmo"

?
                  They could be CIA..

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                    No shit. I'll go on record as saying I don't have a problem with torture. Your own forces do it also, Sesh. You're deluded if you don't think it does.
                    Neither did Hitler...

Comment

• thome
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Mar 2005

I guess waterboarding is a bit "Nancy" isn't it.... I would say pliers on the balls will get you what you want without too much discusion and faster .

Seems like all this talk has nothing to do with what is going on. I doubt any of the "Scoop Jr." reporters and all thier new "top secret" info is even half truth.

Top Secret, that you see only here at channel 9 with action Jimmy
                      and CHOPPER DAVE!

But first what wintery storm mix could be headed our way killing hundred in a local town near here...........after these commercials.

What could be headed this way killing little old ladies ......we will be right back.....

Whatta Joke.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                        They could be CIA..

All 3 of them.

Would any of you object to this happening to, say, Karl Rove or
                        Chaney to get the real reason of why we went into Iraq?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I've posted this before but for the hard of thinking I will again.

Even for the morally bankrupt and ignoring the huge propoganda victory for the other side creating 10000 people against you for each one you torture its fucking stupid and pointless.

If you torture people they tell you what you what you want to hear whether it's true or not.

Next thing you know you are invading a country to destroy non existent WMDs...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by thome
                            I guess waterboarding is a bit "Nancy" isn't it.... I would say pliers on the balls will get you what you want without too much discusion and faster .
                            Pliers, or your mouth?

[img]

Comment

Working...