Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt White
    • Jun 2004

EVH & WOLF: GUITAR WORLD interview

April 2008 issue of GUITAR WORLD magazine...

EVH & WOLFGANG Van Halen interviewed together for the first time....

well...lets cut right to the good stuff...i.e. the stuff concerning DAVID LEE ROTH....

regarding EVH's asking WOLF to be the bass player in the band...

EVH:"It's like DAVE says, "Three parts original, one part inevitable." And it was inevitable."

later...

EVH:"We rehearsed probably six months before Dave showed up. We were almost over-rehearsed. We got to the point where we were goofing around."

WOLF:"That's when we started playing "Little Dreamer" in double time."

EVH:"When Dave walked in it blew his freakin' mind!"

WOLF:"That night was magical. That was the first time I heard vocals with everything."

EVH:"Dave couldn't believe how good you are."

and so on......

On WOLF discovering the REAL VAN HALEN...

EVH:"It blew my mind that I totally forgot to turn him on to all of the music that I've written. All he knew was what he heard on the radio."

WOLF:"Like "JUMP" and that was it."

EVH:"I'll never forget when we were coming home from Castle Park. "HOT FOR TEACHER" came on the radio and Wolf was going, "Who is that singing?" I said, "that's Dave."

on WHY WOLF digs CLASSIC VAN HALEN....

WOLF:"Yeah, but I'm not sure when I started. I love it for the same reason everybody else loves it. It's awesome. It's just good music. It last. It was made a while ago, and it still lives today."

on the best moment of the tour so far....

EVH:"For me it's the fact that I get to play with my son, my brother, and Dave. Every night is special."

Hmmmmm...not that I put a ton of stock in ANYTHING EVH says....just KEWL to see DAVE mentioned in GUITAR WORLD....

nothing aboot bass player or the Spam....

it has the obligatory bits aboot gear and such...being that it is GUITAR WORLD...but an interesting read for the CLASSIC VAN HALEN fan.....
    Last edited by Matt White; 02-09-2008, 12:02 PM.
  • jero
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Thanks Matt!

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Cool!
      Originally posted by conmee
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
      Originally posted by eddie78
      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• diamondsgirl
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Apr 2004

Re: EVH & WOLF: GUITAR WORLD interview

Originally posted by Matt White

WOLF:"That's when we started playing "Little Dreamer" in double time."

I'd like to hear that! I'll bet its funky as hell.
        Last edited by diamondsgirl; 02-09-2008, 03:40 PM.
        “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

They dont sound like they rehearsed six days...

Comment

• bugmenot
            Roth Army Recruit
            • Sep 2006

They rehearsed six months before Dave showed up. Either Dave didn't want to be a part of those practice sessions. Or the brothers didn't want him to be a part of those practice sessions. Either way, that's not good news for those of us who want this reunion to last a long time.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Well, how long is one gonna really want this type of reunion to last, anyway?

Sure, it's gonna be cool to go see them playing the older material, but them doing that and only that isn't gonna be something that retains my interest year after year...at some point (not too long from now), they're gonna have to come up with some ass-kicking new material.

Otherwise, they're gonna end up like the Stones for me; a prepetual nostalgia act that I'm only gonna pay big money ticket prices to see once.

Van Halen gets the nod this time around because seeing those CVH songs played live by the original lineup is something I've had an interest in since 1996, when it became possible that it could actually happen. I've already compromised on the fact that MA isn't there and no new material has been forthcoming and the elevated ticket prices based on the youtubes and boots I've seen.

I'm not gonna shell out a c-note per ticket year after year to see them playing nothing but oldies, though. Suspect more than a few share my feelings on that.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Matt White
                • Jun 2004

Yup....

NO new material...little interest in shelling out tons 'o' loot.....

This tour is as close as it gets to original VAN HALEN.....

it is a nostalgia act...and a damn good one....

but...Terry hit the nail on the head....how many times are ya gonna pay to see the same movie?!?

still...I'm enjoying it for now....

Comment

• bugmenot
                  Roth Army Recruit
                  • Sep 2006

"We were almost over-rehearsed. We got to the point where we were goofing around". It doesn't sound to me like they where too excited about bringing Dave into the situation.

Comment

• Matt White
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by bugmenot
                    "We were almost over-rehearsed. We got to the point where we were goofing around". It doesn't sound to me like they where too excited about bringing Dave into the situation.
                    Sounds to me like you haven't seen them live..........

get back to us when you have............

Comment

• Panamark
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

I wish Someone would ask Wolf what he thinks about Mike
                      and Sammy... Now that would take a politicians answer methinks..
                      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Matt White
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                        I wish Someone would ask Wolf what he thinks about Mike
                        and Sammy... Now that would take a politicians answer methinks..
                        Yup...they don't go anywhere near that kind of question Mark......

EVH relates a story of him playing in front of WOLF when the kid was like 2 years old...and seeing the kid tap his foot along to the beat...and thinking to himself that this day would come.....

So it would seem that 'ol "Hot Sauce" was on his way out a Looong time ago...at least in EVH's mind.....

Comment

• Panamark
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Matt ! good to read your take on the interview...

I wish we all knew that this was brewing way back then.
                          May have eased the self inflicted pain during those 20+
                          years ... lol
                          BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ziggysmalls
                            Full On Cocktard
                            • Dec 2006

I bought the mag today and the only "dig" at Mike is when they were talking about Eddie asking Wolf to be in the band. Wolf said he would as long as he would not have to do a solo spot. Eddie made a snicker at the comment.

Wolf said he listened to the the songs and while he tried to stay true to the recordings, he also adds his own stuff in.

Comment

Foot Soldier
                              • Jun 2007

In a 2006 interview with Howard Stern, Ed mocked the fat pig, saying, "Mr S can do what he wants now". The comment shocked and outraged Van Halen fans."

Comment

Working...