PDA

View Full Version : I nailed the VH II tone with a Metroamp 67 and Alembic preamp

Nitro Express
02-18-2008, 03:05 AM
One guy on net net said he was getting the VH II tone by running the extension speaker output on a Fender Bandmaster into the front of a Marshall Plexi. The Fender Bandmaster puts out a low level signal from the extension speaker jack if the main speaker is disconnected. Aparently this is what Eddie would do at home to get his overdriven sound without blowing the house away.

I don't have a Fender Bandmaster but I have a old Alembic bass preamp based on the Fender Dual Showman circuit and a 100 watt Metropaulos 67 plexi. I bridged both channels of the Alembic to cascade the gain and ran it into the front of the Metroamp and got the sound. I think Ed was running two amps together with the lower input of one going into the front of his plexi. No wonder a dimed out Marshall doesn't get the sound. You have to have a Fender circuit pushed into distortion feeding the Marshall. In other words, the Fender amp works like a distortion peddle.

So Ed really was using cascading gain stages in the early days.

Don Corleone
02-18-2008, 04:06 AM
Well let's hear it - get a Youtube clip uploaded.

thome
02-18-2008, 09:40 AM
I know little or nothing about what you are talking about but I do understand that things plug into other things and then things happen that,,,blaa bllaaa i'm lost.

But, I do know one thing ..YouTube sound is as nasty and usless as the bit quality of the vids that they carry.

They are all we have (I have seen a few sites that have better... bla blaa).

So, why comment on this thread... I don't know that.

Kinda explains some of the complaints about the VH tour.

Yet, it is representative of the sound, so why not load it?

I re-read this post and now I know why people hate me.

MONDAY ON MUTHAS!!!!:D

Nitro Express
02-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Don Corleone
Well let's hear it - get a Youtube clip uploaded.

I just bought a Palmer Speaker Simulator and I'll see how that sounds DIed to my Mac.

But the sound is basically a Fender preamp (the Alembic has two sepparate Fender circuits you can bridge) and a plexi dimed. My amp likes the bass rolled back but everything else is on 10. The dimed presence gives the notes deffinition.

You get the midrange growl with note deffinition. The Marshall alone just sounds to bassy or too shrill. The fender preamp smooths it out and gives it some balls.