02-24-2008, 07:37 PM
The tour is looking like a big success.
The reviews are good.
There is hope for a new album.
But having a reunion tour and reuniting a band in the studio
where there has to be an agreement on so many different
subjects is two different things.
What do you see?
An album?(do they still call them albums?)
A european tour ?
Or is this it?

5150Clown
02-24-2008, 08:53 PM
I've been thinking the same thing. Recording is a whole diff process and they haven't done that since 1984 (actually 1983 really). Ed & Al have been working very differently since. Ed and Al didn't like Dave's lyrics for the reunion songs back in 96. They didn't like how Dave brought palm trees and candles into the studio and took forever to lay down the vocals.

They would probably have to be a very tight unit and be in it for the long haul. It will take a really "grown up" attitude to take on such project. It can also mark the end of VH so there's alot of presure here. This will not be an easy task.

Matt White
02-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhite......

a little weed.....

some Jack Daniels............

some blow.............

VIOLA......

Panamark
02-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by 5150Clown
I've been thinking the same thing. Recording is a whole diff process and they haven't done that since 1984 (actually 1983 really). Ed & Al have been working very differently since. Ed and Al didn't like Dave's lyrics for the reunion songs back in 96. They didn't like how Dave brought palm trees and candles into the studio and took forever to lay down the vocals.

They would probably have to be a very tight unit and be in it for the long haul. It will take a really "grown up" attitude to take on such project. It can also mark the end of VH so there's alot of presure here. This will not be an easy task.

DUDE ?? WTF ???

Everybody and their dog knows they recorded again in 2000.....

Big Troubles
02-25-2008, 07:50 AM

Where did you read that they didnt like the lyrics that Dave had in 96??? It didnt take a "long time" for him to do them either. The music was mostly finished and the lyrics were written in hours. They only reason Dave brought in palm trees was to piss off Al and to show the brothers that no matter how small the room is, you cant change the element of the magic that IS Dave.

Plus in 2000 at least 6 songs were finished. Lyrics, music- then vaulted.

They can put out an album, its just a matter of opening the vault, adding the newer ones to some older ploished up boots and thinking about touring off of it.

I'm guessing they are thinking about Europe, Australia, Japan and a DVD in time for Summer.

Big Troubles
02-25-2008, 07:53 AM
One of the best compliments that Ed and Al ever gave Dave was his ability to come up with lyrics so fast. Dave is well read and that's where most of his lyrics and Rothisms' come from.

For example wasn't Hot for Teacher written on the fly?

5150Clown
02-25-2008, 12:22 PM
They didn't like "Can't get this stuff no more". From what I read in I believe People's Magazine. I still have the magazine too, is that Eddie thought the lyrics didn't make any sense. Dave also quotes it in the book as Eddie looked at the lyrics (didn't even read it) and said something like "it sucks" or so.

The 2000 sessions seemed to have gone better. But it is my understanding that they never really saw each other during those recordings.

Big Troubles
02-25-2008, 12:30 PM
They didn't like "Can't get this stuff no more". From what I read in I believe People's Magazine. I still have the magazine too, is that Eddie thought the lyrics didn't make any sense. Dave also quotes it in the book as Eddie looked at the lyrics (didn't even read it) and said something like "it sucks" or so.

The 2000 sessions seemed to have gone better. But it is my understanding that they never really saw each other during those recordings.

People mag? Hmm... News to me.

I dont recall reading in Daves book where he said "Ed looked at the lyrics and said they sucked or didnt make sense"...

The 2000 "sessions" were mentioned by Zappa, Michael Anthony, Howard Stern, Dave in an interview in print and Dave on his radio show.

Songs are recorded and vaulted.

5150Clown
02-25-2008, 01:17 PM
I'll dig that stuff up and put it on here. It's up in my attic or something. He did refer to Ed as reading the lyrics. He said something like Ed just glancing at it and saying they weren't good. Ed didn't even read it. ON another interview the producer convinced Ed that the lyrics were cool.

Coyote
02-25-2008, 02:15 PM
"Reunion Blues".

cadaverdog
02-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhite......

a little weed.....

some Jack Daniels............

some blow.............

VIOLA......
I could deal with the smoke ( I wish I could could light one up , but nowdays staying employed means pissing in a cup)and the J D in moderation but as a middle aged man myself ( and I'm a few years younger than those boys, I stay away from the blow.
I've abused just about every type of drug ( but no needles)
And was on morphine for two weeks so I got a pretty good idea
what heroin is about.
But Hard drugs is a young persons game .
When you're young your body can handle it but as you age not so much.
I did just a little coke on a bong load (I was still smoking weed on a regular basis) and I thought I was going to have a heart attack.
And I was in my early 30s.
Remember John Entwhistle?
Probably did dope like it was going out of style when he was a youngster .
It probably took a lot less to kill him .

Matt White
02-25-2008, 07:55 PM
ITS BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN FADE AWAY....

eddie78
02-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Lyrically, "Up for Breakfast" was about as pedestrian as it gets.
If Ed allowed that, man, anything Roth writes will come off as Shakespeare.

I think the tour, just living with each other nightly, for months on end, will make it easier for them in the studio.
Roth sounds exceptional, and the tour has only made these guys tighter, musically.
Add the Wolfgang factor, who's pro-Dave all the way, you can't not make a new record.

Will it be 'Fair Warning' or 'WACF'?
Not likely, but it might be an interesting take on VH 2008.

Terry
02-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Would definitely be interested in hearing what they could come up with, but wouldn't be expecting too much from 'em.

Thinking back to Ed's creative track record of the last decade...and to an extent Dave's too...well, maybe some kind of chemical reaction would take place...

Would hope they'd go with an outside producer (since Ed has shit in his ears, far as production goes) who could work with the ideas they had...a fresh pair of ears and someone who would push them (tell 'em when it sucks, let 'em know when they're capable of better). If Ed ends up producing the band at 5150, it's gonna be too much of a comfort-zone vibe; no friction.

eddie78
02-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Excellent post, man!

What if VH winds up with either Bob R(C)ock or Rick Rubin?

cadaverdog
02-25-2008, 08:43 PM
ITS BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN FADE AWAY....
In other words die young and leave a good looking corpse?
It won't look good for long.

cadaverdog
02-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by eddie78
Excellent post, man!

What if VH winds up with either Bob R(C)ock or Rick Rubin?

Have you ever heard the complete recording of Queens "We Will Rock You".
I heard it once on the radio .
And then while searching for that extended version I found a version
that said ruined by Rick Rubin.
It was the extended version but "scratching " was added.
Not familiar with Bob Rock , whose music did he ruin?

eddie78
02-25-2008, 08:54 PM
It's got merit, though.

Look at Aerosmith post 1979.

I wish Steven & Joe had O.D.'d after the mighty Joe Perry Project's first two records.
These guys are just horrible today, consumed by their own fame.
Steven is like a living caricature of his old, cool self.

VH peaked with Fair Warning in my mind.
That Tour seemed to eclipse everything else they would later do.
Ed never sounded more inspired, his virtuosity in full flight.
Dave was the epitome of the Rock God in those Oakland clips.
The stage, the music, the fans....

Take me back to 1981, though i'd be about 9.

eddie78
02-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by cadaverdog
Have you ever heard the complete recording of Queens "We Will Rock You".
I heard it once on the radio .
And then while searching for that extended version I found a version
that said ruined by Rick Rubin.
It was the extended version but "scratching " was added.
Not familiar with Bob Rock , whose music did he ruin?

Bob Cock ruined Motley Crue & Later, Metallica.

Many will disagree with me, but 'Tallica peaked with Lightning & Puppets.
The sound on those records define metal to me.

When Bob jumped aboard, everything got looser & sloppier.

He also overproduced Motley, to my ears.
From sleaze to cheese, all the way.

cadaverdog
02-25-2008, 09:44 PM
It's got merit, though.

I wish Steven & Joe had O.D.'d after the mighty Joe Perry Project's first two records.

I agree Van halen last album 1984 was too Mtv for my liking.
And only the really early Aerosmith(pre Rocks)was the shit .
I was a big Zep fan but "In through the out door" was a major dissapointment after the hard rockin' "prescense"(probably misspelled)
I get a giggle out of "hot dog"But the rest was crap.
Only a few bands stick with the sound that made them.
Skynrd, The Who , AC/ DC.
But most feel thet must evolve.
The Stones try at disco with " I Miss You" comes to mind .
At the time it was Rock vs Disco and the Stones were considered the Benedict Arnolds of rock.
I felt the same way about "Jump" and "Panama".
Although my dislike of a lot of shit is softened when I hear what passes for music now.
Hell I even dig the old motown stuff now.

cadaverdog
02-25-2008, 09:45 PM
It's got merit, though.

I agree Van halen last album 1984 was too Mtv for my liking.
And only the really early Aerosmith(pre Rocks)was the shit .
I was a big Zep fan but "In through the out door" was a major dissapointment after the hard rockin' "prescense"(probably misspelled)
I get a giggle out of "hot dog"But the rest was crap.
Only a few bands stick with the sound that made them.
Skynrd, The Who , AC/ DC.
But most feel thet must evolve.
The Stones try at disco with " I Miss You" comes to mind .
At the time it was Rock vs Disco and the Stones were considered the Benedict Arnolds of rock.
I felt the same way about "Jump" and "Panama".
Van Halen goes Mtv.
Although my dislike of a lot of shit is softened when I hear what passes for music now.

Matt White
02-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by cadaverdog

:rolleyes:

Wow...how "cosmopolitan" of you.....

next thing you know...you'll consider letting women vote....

:p

GaPeach64
02-25-2008, 09:56 PM
I read Dave's book over the Christmas holidays. The Reunion Blues chapter was a pretty good one. Ed refused to rehearse any old VH music with Dave to prepare for this Greatest Hits project. Dave hadn't sung in 6 mos and just wanted to exercise his voice. Ed wanted to do new music. This is how Dave goes p334

[quote] Trouble is, you can't sing an unwritten song. You can't build muscles on an unwritten song. The lyrics aren't in place. You don't know what the next lyric is, and I'm not going to know until the producer is in there. He's going to earn his percentage, because he's going to make as much as me in the end. So let's have some of that melodic expertise. Cool.
Work on some playes tha you already know, guys, that's how you build the team. but when we actually began rehearsing I was banished to a storeroom in the back of the studio, a windowless cement box where I could see nothing and hear nothing except over my headsets. They would push a button to talk to me. They would run through these new songs and I would sing along back there in my cement bunker.
So I brought in five potted palm trees and some clamp lights, oranges and yelllows, and made a little Club Dave with a big glass ashtray I stole from a British hotel.
Hey, if I'm working in Ice Station Zebra I'm gonna make it comfortable. All right, this is a test. God and his five angels are testing me. The potted palms. Oh, my God. Alex Van Halen screaming at Big Ed as they bring these things in. My guys take pride in their stuff because it's colorful, it's eccentric. We built an oasis, and we said all were invited. Where do you think the crew hung out when we took a break? Club Dave.
[Alex freaks out all over Dave here.... f**** this and that]
And I stay cool. I start showing up with my lyrics, and they're dismissed out of hand, one right after the other. Edward Van Halen would hold the paper in front of his face, stare right into the middle and go, "I don't know."
Edward doesn't read. It's a muscle he doesn't use. He can't read a whole set of my lyrics in seven seconds. Some of my stuff you'll be figuring out seven years later. It's designed to do that. There's some substance there you know. So first Edward puts me in a room where I've got to make my own environment, now he's looking at the middle of a page, lookin' to put the thumb on me. [unquote]

I was so glad I read the book before going to the concert. It was extra amazing for me to see them on the same stage. The book cracked me up. I know it was copywritten in 1998 -- missing some more recent developments. He should do a sequel.

cadaverdog
02-26-2008, 12:27 AM

Women vote?
Hell no.
Do that and the next thing you know they'll (is that a word?) want to run for office .
Next thing you know black folks will want equal rights.
Before you pull the race card , all I meant was I have expanded my musical tastes ,I used to hate country ( and western )too.
I grew up admiring hippies and hippy music .

Terry
02-26-2008, 07:12 PM

Don't be silly