Clear All
  • ULTRAMAN VH
    Commando
    • May 2004

A Book That One Should Read

A Book That One Should Read
    Tuesday, March 04, 2008
    Ron Smith

This morning I’ve been reading about how members of the news media have not only taken off the gloves and the proverbial rose-colored glasses as well when it comes to Obama as Messiah and actually grilled the man quite thoroughly over the reported overtures his people made to Canadian officials to assure them his tough words on renegotiating the terms of N.A.F.T.A. were just campaign rhetoric. As a front-runner the young senator from Illinois can’t expect much more critical scrutiny from a press that until now has been mesmerized by his charisma. Chris Matthews may still fawn over the speechifying of Barack, and some ladies may still faint when he stands before them, but there will more prying into what he and his candidacy really represent.

That was a clumsy opening to these comments and I apologize, but you get the drift and I’m short on time, in part because I’ve been once again reading through a book by Bill Bonner and Addison Wiggin called, “Empire Of Debt,” published a couple years back and now even more pertinent than it seemed at the time because events have conspired to confirm the essence of their critique of the American Empire in decline.

There are people still, and I know this for a fact because they call and email me, who insist we are not an empire. For them it might not prove sufficient, but it is nonetheless true that once we created a Department of Homeland Security the jig was up and there could be no more denying the reality of the American Imperium. Ordinary countries don’t have “Homelands.” They are merely nations. Only Empires have a Homeland. Get it?

And the authors don’t suggest this is completely a willed role on the part of generations of leaders who guided our imperial course. Much of it, no doubt, is circumstantial and probably couldn’t have been avoided. But they argue that we haven’t been a very efficient empire in that instead of exacting tribute from our vassal states abroad, we borrow money from them. This has enabled us to live far beyond the means we otherwise would enjoy, but living on borrowed money really can’t result in a happy ending. Eventually you have to pay your debts one way or another.

We have absorbed as a people all sorts of vanities and illusions that defy reality, and in the end reality asserts itself in lots of disturbing ways. The way they illustrate it is by referring to the law of regression to the mean. Market prices may skyrocket in a boom and plunge far below normal averages in a bust, but most of the time they stay right around the historic mean.

So it is, they say, with empires. “An empire itself is a rare thing. It is normal, but unusual. Nature abhors a monopoly. An empire is a monopoly on force, Nature will tolerate it for a while, but sooner or later, the imperial people must revert to being normal people, and the preposterous beliefs that the imperial people cherish must also pass away.”

Think of some of the incredible things we have been expected to think are true, such as real estate prices never go down, or it doesn’t matter if you save some of what you earn, or the Dick Cheney formulation that deficit spending doesn’t matter, or that we fight wars large and small to advance the cause of “freedom,” or to just make the world a better place.

All empires believe themselves to be world improvers. Alexander the Great, the Romans, the French, the British, all believed that imposing their rules and traditions on the barbarians of other, lesser lands, would be of benefit to the native populations.

“Americans believe they can get rich by spending other people’s money. They believe that foreign countries actually want to be invaded and taken over,” say the authors. “They believe they can run up debt forever, and that debt-laden houses are as good as money in the bank.”

The “Empire of Debt” was not favorably received when it was published. Who wants to be deprived of their cherished illusions, the ones that make them the heroes of modern world history? But I agree with Nassim Nicholas Taleb, author of “Fooled by Randomness” and “The Black Swan,” that this book “should be mandatory reading in most circles.”

• Guitar Shark
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Do you have any opinions of your own on this subject?
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• ULTRAMAN VH
      Commando
      • May 2004

Absolutley, America keeps writing checks it can't keep, While China just patiently waits until we are financially paralyzed thanks to our spend, spend government. The current candidates are already touting how they will rescue the poor, not just in this country but globally, with Government handouts. Meanwhile America just keeps borrowing money. How long can this equation keep working? Even the current milking of hardworking taxpayers, will not be enough to assuage our current evergrowing, fat bloated government.

Comment

• knuckleboner
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

but is it handouts to the poor that are bankrupting us?

perhaps a $1 billion per day war in the middle east is at least, somewhat of a contributor.

then add in the fact that we're dramatically reducing the inheritance tax revenues (that affects only millionaires), among other things, and i think the issue of why we're going into debt is a little more complicated.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

You make some good points UVH. Our deficit spending cannot be sustained long term and countries like China may increase their future bargaining position as a result. However, as kb pointed out, there are many reasons for that deficit spending, many of which do not involve social programs.
          ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
          Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
            Absolutley, America keeps writing checks it can't keep, While China just patiently waits until we are financially paralyzed thanks to our spend, spend government. The current candidates are already touting how they will rescue the poor, not just in this country but globally, with Government handouts. Meanwhile America just keeps borrowing money. How long can this equation keep working? Even the current milking of hardworking taxpayers, will not be enough to assuage our current evergrowing, fat bloated government.
            Remind me again which party left us with a surplus.....

And which party has left us with record deficits, record oil/gas prices, and the weakest dollar in history?

Which president never vetoed a single spending bill in 6 years?

Which party led a congress to inflate government spending to an all time high?

Originally posted by Kristy
            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
            Originally posted by cadaverdog
            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• hideyoursheep
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by ULTRAMAN VH
              America keeps writing checks it can't keep
              And you're not the brightest bulb in the knife drawer?

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

lmao.

That's the thing that cracks me up.

He throws around terms in here like SPENDOCRATS, yet can't bring himself to admit the party he claims to support, are the biggest bunch of crooks and thieves this government has seen in decades.

Under the last 6 years of REPUBLICAN RULE, we've spent our way into being the largest DEBTOR nation in history.

We're in 2 wars with no end in sight, with record home foreclosures and bankruptcy, yet he wants to re-elect the same morons.

Originally posted by Kristy
                Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                Originally posted by cadaverdog
                I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

Working...