PDA

View Full Version : One piece bodies or 2?

indeedido
03-05-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm getting ready for my spring project. I want to build a strat. I'm looking at Warmoth for my body. I've never tried a 1 piece body. It would make sense that it would resonate better in theory. Anyone had any experiene with it? Think you can tell the difference in tone from it and the standard 2 or 3 piece body? Swamp Ash is the given part.

Blackflag
03-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Call me bourgeois, but I can't tell the difference...

jhale667
03-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Blackflag
Call me bourgeois, but I can't tell the difference...

(Read in Eddie Murphy voice) "You bourgeois, man!" :lol:

I can totally tell the difference. I have 1-piece bodies of both Ash and Koa,
and they sound MUCH more alive than my other 2 and 3 piece ones. So much so that my current project is also a 1-piece (Swamp Ash) body...:D

It's not that big an upcharge from Warmoth, so take my word for it...give it a try.
You won't be disappointed. ;)

Nitro Express
03-06-2008, 09:06 AM
There are so many variables. Everyone hypes one piece bodies but some great sustaining and sounding guitars have been made from multiple pieces of wood. Take for instance some Ambelec guitars made from layers of exotic woods glued together in a technique called The Hippie Sandwich. Jerry Garcia had some great sounding guitars made this way and I remember seeing him getting some wonderful sustaining notes while watching him play in the late 80's.

I think it's the quality of the joint, the glue used, the types of wood. I played a Gibson double neck that had wonderful sustain and it was made from three pieces of wood. Some Gibson Les Paul guitars sustain like crazy but they have a glued in neck and a glued on maple cap. One of the keys to having a good Les Paul is the quality of that neck glue joint.

You would think shimming a neck on a Strat would kill the sustain but I have a Strat with a shimmed neck that sustains very well. There are so many variables that you really don't know what kind of guitar you are going to get until it's built. Sometimes the one you think is going to be a winner doesn't sound that great.

Blackflag
03-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah, it could just vary from body to body...but I just haven't seen that much of a difference 1 pc to 3 pc, or whatever.

To me, the neck makes more of a difference.

btw - JHale is such an elitist, poser, bastard. :)

Nitro Express
03-07-2008, 03:15 AM
Yeah, it could just vary from body to body...but I just haven't seen that much of a difference 1 pc to 3 pc, or whatever.

To me, the neck makes more of a difference.

I agree. Everyone puts such focus on the body but that little slim neck flexes and has to support mor than 300 pounds of tension on it. I have found on a dead sounding Strat if you take the neck off and sand off any paint, stickers, glue ect. out of the neck cavity and off the neck heel, you have a pretty good chance in improving the guitars sound just by making the wood to wood fit better.

jhale667
03-07-2008, 01:43 PM

I know you are, but what am I? :D

jhale667
03-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Just to reiterate...;)

Originally posted by jhale667

It's not that big an upcharge from Warmoth, so take my word for it...give it a try.
You won't be disappointed. ;)

Don't listen to those two bozos. :D

Little Lamont
03-08-2008, 10:09 PM
I've been building and repairing guitars professionally for close to 30 years, so I know what I'm talking about on this one. A one-piece body is cool, and they cost more because it's harder to find a piece of wood that size that's consistent in grain. But you're only going to hear the difference acoustically, with the guitar unplugged, if you hear it at all. Once you figure in the pickups and the amp, especially if you play with a lot of gain, it's not an issue. The type of wood is much more important. Ash is going to be brighter than say alder or mahogany.

Strings play a big part in tone too. Pure nickel is warmer than nickel-plated steel.

jhale667
03-09-2008, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Little Lamont
But you're only going to hear the difference acoustically, with the guitar unplugged, if you hear it at all. Once you figure in the pickups and the amp, especially if you play with a lot of gain, it's not an issue.

Excellent post overall :baaa: , and that's the only thing I'd even remotely disagree with...

That's the theory that made cheap, crappy woods like (B)asswood and Agathis "acceptable" in guitar manufacturing, IMO...sorry.
That's turd-polishing on a sonic level. :lol:

However, I DO completely agree that the type of wood is a HUGE factor.

Y'know, not to argue with 30 years experience and whatnot, but.... ;)

You've only got me by a few years, dammit! :D

Little Lamont
03-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Oh yeah, man. Some woods shouldn't even be used for guitars. Notice I didn't mention them. ;-)

Basswood, poplar, etc. will definitely alter your tone. But if you got good wood, whether it's one piece or two won't matter by the time it comes out of the amp.

jhale667
03-10-2008, 03:16 AM
I hear ya, My #1 is actually 2-piece, and sounds great...
I just think (to quote Nigel Tufnel), the 1-piece bodies "have that extra push over the cliff.." :D