PDA

View Full Version : The end of Velvet Revolver?

Vanessa
03-24-2008, 08:38 PM
News
Velvet Revolver to Break Up?
Scott Weiland claims band is amidst "last tour," venomously responds to drummer Matt Sorum's blog, and prepares for STP reunion.
By William Goodman 03.24.08 5:48 PM

Velvet RevolverIt appears Velvet Revolver's current U.K. tour may actually be the death knell for this supergroup of seasoned hard rockers. According to a Blabbermouth report (via the Daily Swarm), last week during a gig in Glasgow frontman Scott Weiland told fans, "You’re watching something special... the last tour by Velvet Revolver." In response, drummer Matt Sorum filed a blog vaguely discussing the band's internal disputes, and now Weiland has responded, airing out Velvet Revolver's dirty laundry -- and it's ugly.

"I've made many attempts to remain cordial with the members of VR, but mainly, the likes of you [Sorum]… [I] have maintained a level of professionalism regardless of how many drugs I've ingested into my system. I have only canceled one tour during the entire course of my 16-year run and that was the 'make-up' Australia tour. Now, shall I open that can of worms, Matthew? Release the Kraken? Serve... Volley! You canceled the Aussie tour in the fall because you went to rehab..."

Ouch! And there's more from Weiland: "You deserve to hear Velvet Revolver playing... not certain individuals singing along to get a muddied up sound... It's a shame... we were a gang. But ego and jealousy can get the better of anyone. I wish the best and plan to annihilate the stage in the last few shows."

As for Stone Temple Pilots' reunion, Weiland ends with a brief and promising note: "We did an STP photo shoot before this tour and it was fun, inspiring, and it gave me that thrill -- that feeling that got my rocks off from the get-go.”

http://www.spin.com/articles/velvet-revolver-break

binnie
03-24-2008, 09:06 PM
I saw VR last night, and beforehand I had fully bought the 'last tour' line.

But they were staggering yesterday - I've seen 'em five times now and they've always delivered, but last night had a swagger, a real bite to it. Scott was on fine form, he even ended up in the crowd twice! All of the band members seemed well up for the performance, all smiles and grins as they ran around the stage.

It's common knowledge that Sorrum and Weiland do not get along, and when Scott came in late on the fist verse of Mr Brownstone - causing the band to fuck up and start again - everyone laughed except Sorrum, who shot daggers at Weiland.

Still, a truly exceptional gig. One of the best I've ever seen.

The STP reunion is temporary at the moment, but if things go well it is easy to imagine it becoming permanent isn't it? Guess we'll have to wait and see, but from what I heard last night there is plenty of legs in VR...

Eyes of the Night
03-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Wella, didn't STP have plans as well ... thought that VR had been in the coffin' ... this may well be that road ...

VR was kill in 06' in portland ...

SparkieD
03-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Some of the best news in music!

cadaverdog
03-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Slash deservered better .
He needs to find other with out bands musicians of his
caliber and start another band.
How about Dave if this tours over?

DeadMan1984
03-25-2008, 01:41 AM
It seems like a ploy for the STP reunion and an eventual GnR reunion....

bueno bob
03-25-2008, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by DeadMan1984
It seems like a ploy for the STP reunion and an eventual GnR reunion....

My thoughts exactly...boring and predictable...they've probably already got all this shit worked out for the benefits of everybody involved...

:rolleyes:

jhale667
03-25-2008, 02:21 AM
All I know is the unrealeased track "All in the Suit that you wear" from the STP compliation
kick ass. :killer:
They were always head and shoulders above VR as a band, and as song-writers, sorry...And Weiland rises to the occasion.
I'm there for the reunion. :D

:guitar:

DeadOrAlive
03-25-2008, 02:39 AM
It's about time for Weiland to fuck up again... But I'm more interested in where Slash will go with his music... My money is on that Duff will follow him.

binnie
03-25-2008, 06:04 AM
Like I said in my post above, they didn't look over last night!

If the STP thing develops into something permanent then I can see it being the end of VR, but given that Scott and the rest of STP do not get along I'm not convinced it'll be a long term reunion.

VR is a great rock n roll band. Not a patch on either of its donor bands, but fuckin good nonetheless.

bueno bob
03-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Well, I didn't read the article, but there was a quote on Blabbermouth this morning from Slash saying that this isn't their last tour...who knows?

Honestly, when it comes to actual ROCK music, there are so many better bands than Velvet Revolver today I really don't care whether they stay or go to be perfectly honest...

binnie
03-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Gonna have to respectfully disagree Bob.

I can't say that I can think of many pure RNR bands who have the swagger of VR. I can certainly think of plenty of 'better' younger heavy metal bands, but not any who just play straight up RNR. VR is fun, they've tried to something different, and they work their asses off, for which they get plenty of respect from me.

However, your earlier point about the GNR reunion is crucial: whilst I don't think it's already worked out it is inevitable, and that does make VR redundant to large extent. I'm just enjoying the ride.

Coyote
03-25-2008, 06:06 PM
In a world of crap prefab bands, VR certainly stands out by a mile. Even if I didn't care much for 'em.

DrMaddVibe
03-25-2008, 09:04 PM
I can see STP doing the reunion thing and Scott fucking it all up with his addictions...AGAIN!

What I can't see is GNR back together again. I don't think that's ever going to happen, and personally I really don't care to see it if it does. What I'd prefer to see is Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven hooking up with say, Sebastian Bach. What Slash and Duff were able to accomplish with Scott (keeping him sober and engaged musically) I'd like to see with a better vocalist that can hold their own against the onslaught that Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven can deliver.

Axl doesn't have the goods and after hearing the supposed "Chinese Democracy" he shouldn't be allowed within 100 yards of a recording studio again. Let him play pretend GNR with Buckethead and a host of nobodies.

VR is decent, but when you compare it to Izzy's solo material it's lame as hell and lacks any real depth. It was a good experiment though with perhaps another album worth of material.

indeedido
03-25-2008, 09:48 PM
G&R will never happen. Axl screwed those guys over forcing them to sell him all of their rights to the band. I can't see them going back to that prick. Fuck Axl

Seshmeister
03-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by binnie
I saw VR last night, and beforehand I had fully bought the 'last tour' line.

But they were staggering yesterday - I've seen 'em five times now and they've always delivered, but last night had a swagger, a real bite to it. Scott was on fine form, he even ended up in the crowd twice! All of the band members seemed well up for the performance, all smiles and grins as they ran around the stage.

It's common knowledge that Sorrum and Weiland do not get along, and when Scott came in late on the fist verse of Mr Brownstone - causing the band to fuck up and start again - everyone laughed except Sorrum, who shot daggers at Weiland.

Still, a truly exceptional gig. One of the best I've ever seen.

The STP reunion is temporary at the moment, but if things go well it is easy to imagine it becoming permanent isn't it? Guess we'll have to wait and see, but from what I heard last night there is plenty of legs in VR...

Did they not play the same fairly small venue a couple of years ago?

Given the high profile of the band member's previous work and the fact that they aren't going anywhere shows that I'm right in thinking like the vast majority of potential fans that they can't write a decent song to save themselves.

Cheers!

:gulp:

bueno bob
03-26-2008, 01:45 AM
Gonna have to respectfully disagree Bob.

That's cool. I don't know, everything I've heard out of them has just been very...meh. At least to my ears.

Of course, I'm getting more...eh..."artsy" with what I listen to anymore, so...who knows...

Terry
03-26-2008, 08:01 PM
VR's output has been fairly average to me; didn't suck, but nothing exceptional.

Who really gives two shits about what Matt Sorum has to say?

STP reforming - now THERE's something I'd be interested to see and hear.

GnR getting back together? Suppose some would enjoy it. Personally, I could give a fuck, but I WOULD buy a Chinese Democracy release (if Axl ever gets the balls to put it out, that is).

cadaverdog
03-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
I can see STP doing the reunion thing and Scott fucking it all up with his addictions...AGAIN!

What I can't see is GNR back together again. I don't think that's ever going to happen, and personally I really don't care to see it if it does. What I'd prefer to see is Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven hooking up with say, Sebastian Bach. What Slash and Duff were able to accomplish with Scott (keeping him sober and engaged musically) I'd like to see with a better vocalist that can hold their own against the onslaught that Slash, Izzy, Duff and Steven can deliver.

Good idea except the Sebastian Bach thing.
What was that thing he did with Ted Nugent and some
other guys.
It was some fabricating a band bullshit.
Sebastian ruined the whole thing .
One of the other band members was intent on kicking
his ass.
And how about when he hit that girl in the face with
a piece of a broken bottle.
He jumped into the crowd did nothing and then
claimed he kicked the guys ass.
I have a feeling if he had ever attained real status
he would have been the biggest dick ever.

Panamark
03-27-2008, 12:56 AM
Aint talkin bout love !

Bring back the gunners and the pilots..

Fook VR...

Eyes of the Night
03-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah man, I've been tired of them since their second album ... bring on a new change for STP ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNsy4X68fEI&feature=related

Steve Savicki
03-30-2008, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Fook VR...
The end... was there ever really a true beginning. They played a sample of them on an AMW episode about the murder of one of their fans (Duff was speaking). Sounded pretty good, but nothing overly spectacular.

Panamark
03-30-2008, 07:05 AM
No disrepect to those here that dig VR, I thought they were a much
needed injection when they hit the scene. But they lost my total
respect at that HOF debacle.... They really came across as not
giving a fuck about the Van Halen material they were bestowed
to honor. Slash can kick ass, and he didnt..

He needs to be back alongside AX-hole...

jero
03-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
No disrepect to those here that dig VR, I thought they were a much
needed injection when they hit the scene. But they lost my total
respect at that HOF debacle.... They really came across as not
giving a fuck about the Van Halen material they were bestowed
to honor. Slash can kick ass, and he didnt..

He needs to be back alongside AX-hole...

Those moves! Who was he supposed to be? Vanilla Ice?

Nickdfresh
03-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
Well, I didn't read the article, but there was a quote on Blabbermouth this morning from Slash saying that this isn't their last tour...who knows?

Honestly, when it comes to actual ROCK music, there are so many better bands than Velvet Revolver today I really don't care whether they stay or go to be perfectly honest...

Exactly. Everything I've heard from them seems like cliché, uninspired power-chord mush. These guys aren't exactly groundbreaking creative sires and I've never found them to be able to deliver a good hook or great song. They obviously don't mesh..

They ought to dress like mailmen...

cadaverdog
03-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Exactly. Everything I've heard from them seems like cliché, uninspired power-chord mush. These guys aren't exactly groundbreaking creative sires and I've never found them to be able to deliver a good hook or great song. They obviously don't mesh..

They ought to dress like mailmen...

Can't deliver.........dress like mailmen?
You got big ones making jokes about postal workers.
Them fuckers have no sense of humor.

binnie
03-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

Given the high profile of the band member's previous work and the fact that they aren't going anywhere shows that I'm right in thinking like the vast majority of potential fans that they can't write a decent song to save themselves.

Cheers!

3000 people is a pretty big deal, no? I can think of plenty of bands who would kill to sell that many tickets.

You think if the current Van Halen tour came over here they could sell out an arean tour? I'll tell you now that they'd struggle.

Decent tunes? That's a matter of opinion I guess, but who's as good in their mid 40s and they were in their mid 20s?

Little Texan
03-31-2008, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by cadaverdog
Slash deservered better .
He needs to find other with out bands musicians of his
caliber and start another band.
How about Dave if this tours over?

Already been done, and there didn't seem to be any chemistry there! :D

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LA92d72JM8Q&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LA92d72JM8Q&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Seshmeister
03-31-2008, 08:20 PM
3000 people is a pretty big deal, no? I can think of plenty of bands who would kill to sell that many tickets.

You think if the current Van Halen tour came over here they could sell out an arean tour? I'll tell you now that they'd struggle.

Decent tunes? That's a matter of opinion I guess, but who's as good in their mid 40s and they were in their mid 20s?

Well 2000-2500 for the whole of Scotland?

http://www.glasgow-academy.co.uk/venue.php

Don't get me wrong I think it's a great venue, I'm ashamed to say my first gig ever there was just a few months ago because I'm old now. :)

Actually I didn't realise it held that many until I looked it up.

As far as Van Halen in chilly Scotland, I'm not sure. Close enough I think but as you know Van Halen suffer from totally neglecting the UK and Europe over the years.

Last time Roth played solo was at the Armadillo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyde_Auditorium which holds 3000 but wasn't full. The biggest room in the SECC holds what 5000, I think they could manage that with some publicity.

Personally I'd rather they did the Carling Academy thing. You can stand at the bar watching the band and pop out for a cigarette when you want. Perfect.

My point about VR is that they don't seem to be going anywhere. VH is a nostalgia thing.

Cheers!

Nickdfresh
04-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by cadaverdog
Can't deliver.........dress like mailmen?
You got big ones making jokes about postal workers.
Them fuckers have no sense of humor.

Yeah, they might get pissed at comparing me to this lame shill band...

Nickdfresh
04-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister

Cheers!

I missed this and couldn't agree more.

Their music is almost insultingly bland...

SparkieD
04-01-2008, 11:13 PM
With Scott gone back to his rightful place, maybe Slash and Co. can get Axl to sing for VR :rolleyes: