PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen and Generation X

Shrek the Ogre
03-26-2008, 02:01 PM
wondering with a 16 yr old bass player and 2007-2008 tour going, if the youth of america are digging the mighty van halen. tell us what u like the most about the greatest hard rock band of all time?

VanHalener
03-26-2008, 02:07 PM
I love pouring beer on sheep at Van Halen gigs.

Little Lamont
03-26-2008, 02:17 PM
I like the memories it brings back.

Which makes me wonder: If this was a brand-new band, if I didn't have all those memories, would I like them at all? Three 50-year-old men and the guitar player's son...

Bob Brubake
03-26-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm afraid the youth of America is into rap/hip-hop and American Idol. There may be a few who like Van Halen, but only because of their parents. I imagine most people going to these shows grew up w/Van Halen and are now in their 30's, 40's and 50's.

size5dress
03-26-2008, 02:33 PM
16 year old right here!!! And yep, i love em because of my dad. He raised me listening to great music like Van Halen, Collective Soul, Boston, Def Leppard, Kiss, ect.

Umh, what do I love about Van Halen? Well, they are a REAL rock n roll band. Dave's voice is incredible, Ed is just phenominal on the guitar, Al is a pretty good drummer, Mike... i've never really had much of an opinion on Mike, but all tgether, they make magic. And that's what i like. Also, every song has a different sound.
Also: Dave's personality makes me smile =)

VanHalener
03-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Right on 16 year old Rothtard!

Rock your stinkin' guts out!

size5dress
03-26-2008, 03:03 PM
hahah forever!!
yehyeh!

DLR2007
03-26-2008, 03:12 PM
I got into them a few summers back when my brother gave me a whole bunch of greatest hits from a lot of bands, from ACDC (actually ACDC doesnt have a greatest hits it was Back in Black) to ZZ Top, anyway included in this was Van Halen Best of Volume 1.

I immediately preferred the David Lee Roth songs and got the six pack. They have been my favorite band since.

I know some people my age that are into them too but not really as much there should be and I think its because the Hagar years and some people probably think he was the only lead singer or something.

cadaverdog
03-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by size5dress
16 year old right here!!! And yep, i love em because of my dad. He raised me listening to great music like Van Halen, Collective Soul, Boston, Def Leppard, Kiss, ect.

Umh, what do I love about Van Halen? Well, they are a REAL rock n roll band. Dave's voice is incredible, Ed is just phenominal on the guitar, Al is a pretty good drummer, Mike... i've never really had much of an opinion on Mike, but all tgether, they make magic. And that's what i like. Also, every song has a different sound.

Not sure Collective Soul belongs in that group.
They rock , but the rest of those bands had their
heydays in the 70s early 80s , CS 90s ?
Their were no rockers in their 50s and 60s when I was a
teenager , Elvis was in his 40s.
Peter Frampton had a full head of hair .
As did Dave and even James Taylor.
What new stuff does a kid raised on classic rock like?
If I do the math your pops was either in his 30s when
you were born or he prefered "classic" rock to
the new stuff of his day .

size5dress
03-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by cadaverdog
Not sure Collective Soul belongs in that group.
They rock , but the rest of those bands had their
heydays in the 70s early 80s , CS 90s ?
Their were no rockers in their 50s and 60s when I was a
teenager , Elvis was in his 40s.
Peter Frampton had a full head of hair .
As did Dave and even James Taylor.
What new stuff does a kid raised on classic rock like?
If I do the math your pops was either in his 30s when
you were born or he prefered "classic" rock to
the new stuff of his day .

Haha, regardless if Collective Soul belongs or not, just saying I lke the old stuff. Actually no, my dad was like 24 when i was born. He's just been inlove with Van Halen since he first heard them. Unfortunately he never got to see them, and gave up his chance to see the reunion so i could.
Uhh, new stuff? hmm, well mainly just Finger 11 and some other shit i hear on the radio. I don't really like any new bands to the point where I would go buy their album, its more just hearing their songs on the radio. Finger 11 is the one of the only new bands that I own an album of.

FightonUSC
03-26-2008, 05:45 PM
My son is 15 and is obsessed with the mighty Van Halen. Funny thing, it all started with Guitar Hero II and "You Really Got Me". Now he has all their music on his iPod and has already seen them twice. He also is getting his friends involved. "And The Cradle Will Rock!"

NATEDOG001976
03-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Bob Brubake
I'm afraid the youth of America is into rap/hip-hop and American Idol. There may be a few who like Van Halen, but only because of their parents. I imagine most people going to these shows grew up w/Van Halen and are now in their 30's, 40's and 50's.

My friends and I were cranking out calssic VH in the mid 90's when we were 19!

Hummarstra
03-26-2008, 06:40 PM
I love to see young kids on Youtube posting that they love the Mighty VH. It kind of validates what we felt all along - that VH's music is classic and timeless and the greatest of it's era.

VAiN
03-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by NATEDOG001976
My friends and I were cranking out calssic VH in the mid 90's when we were 19!

+1 on that.... I got into VH when I was 10 - in 1984. I remember seeing the videos for Panama, Jump & Hot for Teacher... they were so fucking cool!!!
Shortly thereafter, I bought Diver Down, VH I and VH II on cassette! Man, those were the days... unfortunately for me at that time all we had to go on was Van Hagar. I was a big-time Eddie fan, so I'd catch them just to catch Eddie.
The 07/08 tour is a dream come true for people like me. I've seen them 5 times so far, and I'll be catching them next month in St.Louis.

VanHalener
03-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Old age is gonna rock

I'll be in a rock and roll chair on the porch with a blanket over my legs, cranking mean street, yelling at kids to get their bikes off my yard, and generally being old.

I'll start forgetting shite and remembering later.

I will get to rediscover =VH= over and over.

Cops will be showing up to get an 85 year old dude to turn down running with the devil.

Cool ;)

kwame k
03-26-2008, 08:18 PM

Ahh...16 years old, my 68 Camaro, Alpine Stereo cassette player with Pioneer 6x9's blasting out 1984, hot chick by my side, summer time, oh those were "good times, damn good times"

Sorry size5dress that's what us old dudes do. Living in the pasture....

Right on!!! On the Classic Rock, give your pops a high-five for me.

VAiN
03-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by VanHalener
Old age is gonna rock

Cops will be showing up to get an 85 year old dude to turn down running with the devil.

Classic.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-26-2008, 09:51 PM
My youngest son is 14 and knows just about every VH song that I do, other than the obscure ones they don't play in concert....

He and I hopefully will be rocking to VH at UVA on May 2nd....

theicecreamman
03-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Bob Brubake

Actually I got my dad into Van Halen. I started listening to Van Halen in high school when I took a music appriciation course and saw the music video for hot for teacher. Ever since then I listened to VH and Roth's solo albums when I drive and got my dad hooked onto them. We went to the greensboro and atlanta shows. That was his first rock concert.

DavidLeeNatra
03-27-2008, 03:33 AM
my daughter is 13 and she is blasting out panama as loud as hell and sings along with unchained and many other classics...

she is on a (german) message board and came into the dave-sam discussion (she had no idea that something like osammy bin hagar existed before) and asked me about him and if he was singing for van halen, too...

I showed her a youtube of fatty and she immediately asked me "is he gay?" which made me very proud of my little girl and shoot my coffee through my nostrils from heavy laughing....

Van Dutch
03-27-2008, 04:27 AM
Dutch youth here,.. Almost 20 (april 28) Been a fan since I first came in contact with their music,.. '96 I think. (Post Cherone)

DeadMan1984
03-27-2008, 05:14 AM
I'm 21 and have been listening to Van Halen since 1999 when I was 13 years old. I got into them late into the game, but the wait to see them was worth it.

To answer a question asked before "what does a kid raised on classic rock like that's new?" That's easy, the bands we like's new material and maybe one or 2 of the newer rock bands. For me it was Puddle of Mudd and Drowning Pool.

bohsmug
03-27-2008, 08:05 AM
I'm 22 and got into Van Halen when I was about 16. Bought a best of and it just kind of grew from there. Funny thing is before I knew anything about Van Halen I hated Dave. For the first year or so of listening to them I liked the Dave era stuff but still thought he was a dickhead. Before I knew it I was reading his book and worshiping all that is David Lee Roth.

I'm from Ireland and have never seen the band. I got home from New York last week. It cost me three fucking grand to go see Van Halen but I didn't mind 'cos at least I'd get to see them. Did I fuck? Still pissed off about it, had to walk past MSG every day. Now I've no fucking money and for what?

Guess it's Ed who's the dickhead....

moose
03-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Well my boy who's 12 just finished an essay that he must present to the whole school on "The Mighty Van Halen"
My 7 yr old has officially renamed himself to "Atomic Punk"
and you should hear my 4 yr old belt out "Unchained"(in between her Hi Scool muz song)
My boyz got their friends into this stuff as well so ya a little influence from pops has helped
But if the boyz in VH would get their head out of their assholes and let Dave talk to the media and relax when it comes to allowing "other" companies to produce shirts and hats etc etc, things would change for the better!

Va Beach VH Fan
03-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by moose
Well my boy who's 12 just finished an essay that he must present to the whole school on "The Mighty Van Halen"

That is outstanding....

size5dress
03-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by kwame k
Ahh...16 years old, my 68 Camaro, Alpine Stereo cassette player with Pioneer 6x9's blasting out 1984, hot chick by my side, summer time, oh those were "good times, damn good times"

Sorry size5dress that's what us old dudes do. Living in the pasture....

Right on!!! On the Classic Rock, give your pops a high-five for me.

hahah oh kwame k, thats all my dad ever talks about. He had a Camaro too, except i think it wasa 74. I don't quite have those types of memories with Van Halen, but I got enough to keep me happy. I also get a weird feeling when i listen to Van Halen. I pretty much jsut realized it recently, but i forget about everything else thats going on when I listen to Van Halen. Call Dave's voice and Ed's guitar my drug, if you will, but thats it is for me.

Haha I shall! He'll be glad to get it.

Ohman, ever since I've been coming on this forum, i've been telling my dad some of the stuff I've learned about Dave n Van Halen, and hes amazed. Honestly, he used to tell me shit about Van Halen that I didnt know, now I'm teaching him. hahaha.

size5dress
03-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by moose

My boyz got their friends into this stuff as well so ya a little influence from pops has helped
But if the boyz in VH would get their head out of their assholes and let Dave talk to the media and relax when it comes to allowing "other" companies to produce shirts and hats etc etc, things would change for the better!

HAH! Ohmy god, I got a few friends of mine really into Van Halen too. I think they got sick of me ranting about them and not knowing what I was talking about. And just recently, my friend Greg told me that his little sister is slowly becoming obsessed with Van Halen, i think he said she was 7. I love it though, just the way its spreading. There's this kid in my school, [who is mighty fine, but thats besides the point], and hes inlove with Eddie. Ever since Van Halen came to calgary he's been wearing Van Halen shirts like crazy. I think he got 4 from the tour, and like 3 other ones. He's got long curly black hair just like Ed, 5150 shoes, and according to his friends, all he does is play guitar. A few years ago, i would never think of seeing this in a high school. The Van Halen phenomenon is hitting my generation, and its incredible to watch.

kwame k
03-27-2008, 04:17 PM
hahah oh kwame k, thats all my dad ever talks about. He had a Camaro too, except i think it wasa 74. I don't quite have those types of memories with Van Halen, but I got enough to keep me happy. I also get a weird feeling when i listen to Van Halen. I pretty much jsut realized it recently, but i forget about everything else thats going on when I listen to Van Halen. Call Dave's voice and Ed's guitar my drug, if you will, but thats it is for me.

Haha I shall! He'll be glad to get it.

Ohman, ever since I've been coming on this forum, i've been telling my dad some of the stuff I've learned about Dave n Van Halen, and hes amazed. Honestly, he used to tell me shit about Van Halen that I didnt know, now I'm teaching him. hahaha.

Stay off those drugs there my young friend. Good for you.

Music is the soundtrack to life. My memories are tied to the music I listened to when I was younger. Music can be a great escape and when I'm jamming the drums or playing guitar I get lost in the music. Even listening to music does that to me, still. Music affects us all to some degree.

size5dress
03-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Oh yeah totally, it does. I just geuss im not one of those people to ties my memories to music. But i totally know what you mean, playing the drums just takes me places. haha. I always get lost in music and literature. It's a good escape =)

LittleDreamerVH
03-27-2008, 11:31 PM
I've been a VH fan since high school, and now I'm in my twenties and I'm still very much in love with them... I would say this love started when I babysat for a teacher of mine; and man was I in love with him... talk about "Hot for Teacher"... it was bad... so I went through his CD collection like any self respecting babysitter, checked out the spines of his albums, and saw this tremendous collection of Van Halen. It was right then and there that I decided I would learn more about this mysterious band that had captured the heart of my crush. Although it's sad to say, the love affair with VH has lasted much longer than the one with my teacher! But I'll always be content with the fact that he's the one who turned me on to America's greatest rock band...

rustoffa
03-28-2008, 01:46 AM
I remember hearing Van Halen's first album for the first time when I was like 22. That was in like 1978. It sounded like sonic bombardment or something......I know what sonic and bombardment is now, but not then. People were just going crazy about this new album and cranking it up all over the Massengale parking lot.....lots of cut huge natural tits and coconut-smellin' tan oil. I remember asking this drunk fucker with a jacked up 4 wheel drive truck about the music blasting out of his open doors. He was like, "it's Van Halen...the name sounds stoopid but it kicks ass!" Fucking kids were walking off the beach with their parents...they started crying when they heard it!! I thought to myself: "self, you should go buy a copy of that eight track and blast it at your brothers house!" Sure enough, when I plugged that shit in over there, THE FUCKING KIDS STARTED CRYING!!! My brother asked me who the band was, and I said the name sounds stoopid but it kicks ass. Next thing I know, he was screaming at people to shut their fucking crying kids up so he could enjoy the sonic bombardment!!

Hell yeah!!

if6was9
03-28-2008, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by LittleDreamerVH
I've been a VH fan since high school, and now I'm in my twenties and I'm still very much in love with them... I would say this love started when I babysat for a teacher of mine; and man was I in love with him... talk about "Hot for Teacher"... it was bad... so I went through his CD collection like any self respecting babysitter, checked out the spines of his albums, and saw this tremendous collection of Van Halen. It was right then and there that I decided I would learn more about this mysterious band that had captured the heart of my crush. Although it's sad to say, the love affair with VH has lasted much longer than the one with my teacher! But I'll always be content with the fact that he's the one who turned me on to America's greatest rock band...
Nice piece of bull***t.
But we know the truth:
http://www.canee.net/files/images/mam%20na%20imiê%20wojtek_0.preview.jpg

firestarter
03-28-2008, 10:41 PM
vh is ageless!!

Ally_Kat
03-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Is today's youth into Van Halen? Well, honestly, it depends on what their taste is. If they like Hip-Hop/Rap or Top 40, they're likely not to be interested in VH. But for those metalheads and rockers out there -- which is a good-sized amount -- VH is deffy an appreciated and enjoyed band.

I'm actually surprised by the amount of metal and hard rock youth there is today. I'm starting to think it's because we're coming of age now and we're looking back at the things that were in the forefront of our childhood.

And p.s. -- our generation is Generation Y/the Millennials, Not GenX

DLRdelight!
03-29-2008, 04:43 PM
i think young people today do get into van halen because i sure as hell did around 16 and now im 20. anyone who is a guitarist has to know who evh is.

Coyote
03-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
And p.s. -- our generation is Generation Y/the Millennials, Not GenX

What a shitty name. Who comes up with these?

LittleDreamerVH
03-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by if6was9
Nice piece of bull***t.
But we know the truth:

Hmm.... very sorry you don't believe my "bull***t, but it's all very true. That is how I fell in love with VH, the story is a classic, and why is it so hard to believe? Sheesh...

LittleDreamerVH
03-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by if6was9
Nice piece of bull***t.
But we know the truth:

Hmm.... very sorry you don't believe my "bull***t", but it's all very true. That is how I fell in love with VH, the story is a classic, and why is it so hard to believe? Sheesh...

if6was9
03-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Hmm.... very sorry you don't believe my "bull***t", but it's all very true. That is how I fell in love with VH, the story is a classic, and why is it so hard to believe? Sheesh...
C'mon, man. We all are in our 40s here. :( And so are you, if you remember "Fair Warning" hitting the charts:

Fair Warning, when it came to the charts, wasn't that big of a hit, but with songs like Mean Street, Sinner's Swing, and "Dirty Movies", I really think that the album had a lot more potential than was actually seen, maybe just a fault on the PR's side... lol jk. All in all, Fair Warning, i loved it.

matt19
03-29-2008, 06:56 PM
21!

if6was9
03-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by matt19
21!
But mentally 45 if you're a =VH= fan! :D

LittleDreamerVH
03-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Sorry to disappoint if6was9, but I'm not in my 40's... Truth is, I'm just a huge VH fan born in the wrong generation... (when it came to seeing their best performances with DLR)

if6was9
03-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Then I'm sorry for you, LittleDreamerVH. Go and have some fun instead of talking to a bunch of old (and bald) farts.

LittleDreamerVH
03-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Don't be sorry... I'm just a little cursed in the age department, that's all... and for me it works out pretty nice anyways. I generally have more to talk about and more in common with "old (and bold) farts", as you so eloquently put it... never really been in to guys my own age. Now don't patronize me, just a personal preference.

if6was9
03-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Allright, then. See ya in the Tattoos thread. :)

Ally_Kat
03-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Don't be sorry... I'm just a little cursed in the age department, that's all... and for me it works out pretty nice anyways. I generally have more to talk about and more in common with "old (and bold) farts", as you so eloquently put it... never really been in to guys my own age. Now don't patronize me, just a personal preference.

cut from the same cloth we are

firestarter
03-29-2008, 11:49 PM
as dave said forget the pasture we are about the future.....something like that?

if6was9
03-30-2008, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by firestarter
as dave said forget the pasture we are about the future.....something like that?
I thought it was more like "Forgot the denture, we are about the future..."

BITEYOASS
03-30-2008, 07:12 AM
Well being born in 1979, my first recollection of =VH= was when I was 4 back in 1984. Then after that when I saw the kick ass videos from the "Crazy from the Heat" EP I was under the notion that I was watching Van Halen videos. It was probably 1986 or 87 when I first heard Van Hagar and I wasn't convinced that it was the real deal, especially with me being hyperactive and having a vile hatred of sappy love ballads.

Caught up with the rest of the six pack from the loud stereo at the house my parents use to hang out at. Didn't realize until the early 90's that Sammy replaced Dave, and I thought: oh, so that's why they suck! Lost track of Dave's solo career after the "Little Ain't Enough", but I caught up with everything around 96. I was so fuckin psyched out about that reunion, that I was gonna save up enough money to check em out on tour. But lo and behold, it just sank as soon as it was afloat, with Ed and Gary taking the only rescue boat.

During this dark period, I took the liberty to purchase: The Best, DLR Band and the entire six pack first on Cassette, then on CD. In 2001, I saw Dave solo over in Las Vegas, which was top notch. Started posting on the RothArmy back in late 98 or early 99 when I was stationed at MCAS Cherry Pt. This site along with others helped end the Van Cherone Debacle.

After that I looked at this site to find other info on what Dave was doing with his career, which most of the time was reported way before his official site ever did (i.e. slawterhouse).

Since 2007, I've been one happy SOB! Being able to see Dave and Ed twice really was a dream come true and IMO Wolfgang knows how to play bass. Hell I might even check em out in Gwinett! I'm not worried about Michael Anthony not being in the band, since was lured by Spamo into the cheese side. Plus this is a DLR site, SO QUIT BITCHING ABOUT IT!!!! Dave is happy with =VH= and Mikey is happy with the Red Teletubbie, NUFF SAID!!!

Matt White
03-31-2008, 07:53 PM
Van Halen and Generation X

Wouldn't "Generation X" be in their 30s-40s?!?:confused:

I think they do okay with that age demographic..........:p

NATEDOG001976
03-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Van Halen and Generation X

Wouldn't "Generation X" be in their 30s-40s?!?:confused:

I think they do okay with that age demographic..........:p

You are correct sir!

Gen X = Those born between 1964 -1979. I was Born in 1976, 10 years to late in think! But I have seen the mighty VH 3 times in concert, and Roth solo 6 times, and got to meet Roth!

Gen X are slackers??? I think not!

Va Beach VH Fan
04-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Gen X = Those born between 1964 -1979.

That is complete and utter horseshit.....

I don't consider myself anywhere close to a Generation X'er....

I was born in '64 and Generation X'ers, IMHO, are AT LEAST 10 years younger than I am.....

The lowest part of that range needs to be around 1974.....

NATEDOG001976
04-01-2008, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
That is complete and utter horseshit.....

I don't consider myself anywhere close to a Generation X'er....

I was born in '64 and Generation X'ers, IMHO, are AT LEAST 10 years younger than I am.....

The lowest part of that range needs to be around 1974.....

Dude, look it up.

Va Beach VH Fan
04-01-2008, 08:00 PM
You mean, look it up, as if any website could be construed as "official" ???

All I'm saying is that people my age have never been considered Gen X'ers, at least where I was raised, as well as my 20 years in the military....

Again, those people were at least 10 years younger than me....

Ally_Kat
04-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
You mean, look it up, as if any website could be construed as "official" ???

All I'm saying is that people my age have never been considered Gen X'ers, at least where I was raised, as well as my 20 years in the military....

Again, those people were at least 10 years younger than me....

There are official years and those are the official ones.

Currently I'm teaching the youngest part of my generation and I'm 20 years older than them. We will have nothing in common in regards to the world we grow up in, but that's with all tailends of the generations.

tajmahal
04-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Gen Y - 1979 ---

Va Beach VH Fan
04-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Official according to whom ???

Wikipedia ??

Come on !!!

if6was9
04-02-2008, 03:04 AM
Gen X = Those born between 1964 -1979.
Hurrah!!! Thank God Almighty, I'm not an X-Man.
And it's official.

Padre Atilio
04-02-2008, 04:21 AM
20 year old big Halen fan here and from a black hole in middle of Europe :D

BITEYOASS
04-02-2008, 08:00 AM
As for Gen Y? The letter Y is the last letter for the word pussy, which taken into consideration that most of the music for that generation was made by total pussies (i.e. boybands and emo/screamo groups).

Hell I was 15 back in 1994 when STP, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Pantera, White Zombie and some other kick ass bands were at the top of their game. Too bad I didn't have any money to go to any of those concerts. :(

BITEYOASS
04-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Hell all of those emo/screamo bands are so bad, that I'm starting to miss Limp Bizkit. LOL I'd rather listen to Van Spam while being waterboarded by Dick Cheney than listen to an emo band.

ZahZoo
04-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Most Generation X folks are well into their 30's now...

We'd be somewhere between Generation Z and the Entitled Generation...

size5dress
04-03-2008, 10:03 AM
or we'd just start the alphabet all over agian