• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

Bernanke warns of possible recession

Whenever The Federal Reserve comes out and says:
    “that the economy may shrink over the first half of this year and that "a recession is possible." What he really means is. We’re screwed!

By JEANNINE AVERSA,
    AP Economics Writer
    11 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke warned Congress on Wednesday that the economy may shrink over the first half of this year and that "a recession is possible." Yet, he didn't offer any assurances of further interest rate cuts.
    Bernanke's testimony to the Joint Economic Committee was a much more pessistic assessment of the economy's immediate prospects amid a trio of crises — housing, credit and financial.
    It now appears likely that gross domestic product (GDP) will not grow much, if at all, over the first half of 2008 and could even contract slightly," Bernanke told lawmakers. GDP measures the value of all goods and services produced within the United States and is the best barometer of the United States's economic health. Under one rule, six straight months of declining GDP, would constitute a recession.
    Still, Bernanke said that he expects more economic growth in the second half of this year and into 2009, helped by the government's $168 billion stimulus package of tax rebates for people and tax breaks for businesses as well as the Fed's aggressive reductions to a key interest rate. Nevertheless, the chairman acknowledged uncertainty about the Fed's next steps, notwithstanding the mounting economic woes.
    "Much necessary economic and financial adjustment has already taken place, and monetary and fiscal policies are in train that should support a return to growth in the second half of this year and next year," Bernanke said.
    To try to limit the damage, the Federal Reserve has aggressively cut a key interest rate, now at 2.25 percent, to spur buying and investing by individuals and businesses. At the Fed's last meeting in March, however, two members dissented from the Fed's decision to sharply cut rates, showing a rare division in the often unified front the Fed shows the public. The dissenting officials, who had reputations for being extra concerned about inflation, favored a smaller reduction. Although Bernanke said he hopes inflation will moderate in coming quarters, he acknowledged that high energy prices have clouded the inflation outlook.
    Many economists had predicted the Fed might drop it key that rate again when it next meets April 29-30, although Bernanke's remarks cast some doubt on that scenario.
    On Wall Street, stocks initially dropped after the Fed chief's remarks but later turned slightly positive.
    Housing, credit and financial woes are threatening to push the country into a deep recession. The situation has emerged as a top concern for presidential contenders and a hot-button issue for Congress. It has thrust the White House and the Fed in crisis-management mode.
    Faced with mounting home foreclosures and job losses, Bernanke has been under immense political and public pressure to provide relief and help turn around a faltering economy.
    Committee Chairman Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., peppered Bernanke with questions about the Fed's moves to aid once mighty Wall Street firm Bears Stearns and then juxtaposed that with — what he believed was a lack of help — to millions of people at risk of losing their homes.
    "I hope that you will use your position to jawbone this administration to get behind the housing relief effort before Congress." Schumer said. "Addressing the housing crisis head-on will do as much to instill confidence in the markets as lowering interest rates or bolstering regulatory oversight of wayward mortgage lenders and financial institutions. We need to do all of it."
    "Wall Street has been helped. Now it's time to help Main Street," added Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-N.Y.
    Many private analysts believe the economy contracted in the first three months of this year, signaling the start of a recession. The government releases first-quarter results later this month. The economy lost jobs in January and February, with many economists bracing for more losses when the report for March is released on Friday. Bernanke said he expected unemployment to move "somewhat higher in coming months."
    "Clearly, the U.S. economy is going through a very difficult period," he told lawmakers, adding that all the problems have weighed heavily on consumers whose spending is indispensable to economic vitality.
    The Fed also has taken a series of extraordinary steps in recent weeks and months to prop up the nation's financial system, which has been in state of high jeopardy.
    In a controversial move, the Fed backed a $29 billion lifeline as part of JP Morgan's deal to take over the troubled Bear Stearns, the nation's fifth largest investment house, which was on the brink of bankruptcy. Bear Stearns had invested heavily in risky mortgage-backed securities that eventually soured with the collapse of the housing market.
    Bernanke defended the move. "With financial conditions fragile, the sudden failure of Bear Stearns likely would have led to a chaotic unwinding of positions in those markets and could have severely shaken confidence," he said. "The damage caused by a default by Bear Stearns could have been severe and extremely difficult to contain."
    Although the taxpayers are on the hook for the $29 billion, Bernanke said he was "reasonably confident we'll be able to recover the full amount." He also said that Bear Stearns' investments that the Fed took control of "are entirely investment grade."
    In addition, the Fed — in the broadest use of its credit authority since the 1930s — agreed to temporarily let big investment firms obtain emergency financing from the Fed, a privilege that previously had been granted only to commercial banks.
    Those actions have prompted criticism from Democrats and others who contend that the Fed is bailing out Wall Street and putting billions of taxpayers' dollars at potential risk. Bernanke and the Bush administration argued that the actions were warranted to avert a potential meltdown in the entire financial system, something that would have devastating consequences for the overall economy.
    Originally posted by vandeleur
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

The Federal Reserve should know. It was them who caused the housing bubble to get out of control because Alan Greenspan wouldn't raise the interest rates to slow it down.

Instead they just kept injecting cheap dollars into the market and the lenders went ape shit. Now it's crashed and they are bailing out the crooked lenders with our tax money ruining the value of the US dollar in the process.

We'll end up like Japan with interest rates stuck around 0% with a devalued stock market not going anywhere.

I would have been better to have juse let Bear Stearns fail.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

I say let the bad investment banks fail. The corrupt managers lose their bonuses. The market gets rid of these poor performers. Sadly, some investors lose but fools and their money are soon parted. Hard lessons are learned all around.

The end result is the free market cleans itself up because nobody gets bailed out and only the well managed firms survive.

The prices of equities fall and what's left is the stong firms allowing investors to buy good companies at a good price and the market rallies again over time.

Bailing out the losers never gets rid of the bad companies. Nobody learns a lesson. The taxpayer bails out corrupt investment bankers and the stock market stagnates and the value of our money goes to shit.

It's better to let a few investment banks hit the skids and fail than it is to ruin the US Dollar bailing the fuckers out.

Comment

• kwame k
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Feb 2008

I agree Nitro,

The problem I have now are the sub-prime borrowers get left out to rot.

The government is doing what you are suggesting but they are doing it to the tax payers.

Many people borrowed way beyond their means or ability to pay back the money they borrowed.

Many did not. When you re-finance your home, you borrow a percentage of the appraised value. I know people who had appraisals in say the 150's and they borrowed $120,000.00 leaving 20% equity in their homes as everyone says you should. Now their homes are worth $100,000.00, on a short sale there is a difference of $20,000.00 that the seller or the mortgage company is going to have to eat. Or the seller seeing he can not sell his home for what it is worth, walks away.

Did this home owner do anything wrong? He went by a licensed appraiser's "opinion" of value. The bank lent money, based on this appraiser’s "opinion of value". He made the decision based on trained professional's advice.

I know there are people who borrowed 110% of Loan to Value. No Doc, Stated, Adjustable Mortgages have ballooned and people can not afford what was once a cheap payment. Knowing it was going to inflate and not doing anything about it.

It still comes back to the Lenders are getting bailed out and the Tax Payer/borrower is getting screwed.

Certain people are taking up the plight of the borrowers but, are they just saying what people want to hear and doing nothing about it?

I agree the banks should fail let the market readjust and send a message that these practices are not going to be rewarded. Too bad it's too late for that. We would fall into economic chaos but we went 70+ years without a depression, we are due.

These are band-aids not long term fixes.
        E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

There has to be a certain amount of consumer responsibility. Don't sign anything unless you understand the contract. Most of these homeowners got excited about the new house and never read what they signed. If your mortgage broker pressures you to lie about your income so you can get a bigger loan, remember he/she gets a bigger commission and you still have to pay that bigger loan off.

Professional advice? You mean like companies like AM Best rating bonds full of these junk mortgages as AAA rated bonds?

This is all the tip of the iceberg. We are going to spend hundreds of billions of dollars bailing out the investment banks. What about the bad auto loans? What about the credit card companies when they are next? Hell, there's $5 Trillion in the derivatives market ready to go kaput.

Japan bailed their banks out and they have a prime rate of 0% and their stock marktet is 80% down still after 18 years!

We can kill the US Dollar as a currency by bailing everyone out or we can let these bad banks fail and save the US Dollar from disaster.

Our broken Federal Govt., the war in Iraq, and a major currency crisis could very be the long-term end of the United States. Nobody is going to want to align itself with a broke Federal Govt. that can't function. You are going to see regions of the country want to break off as soon as the Federal money becomes worthless and the taxes to pay for the war and all the bailouts go through the roof.

Comment

• kwame k
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            You are going to see regions of the country want to break off as soon as the Federal money becomes worthless and the taxes to pay for the war and all the bailouts go through the roof.
            I don’t see it getting that bad that we’ll have another Succession State rebellion. Everything else I agree with.

Our money does back the oil. Oil is traded in US currency. The Fiat Money System road we have embarked down is only held up by an illusion or perception of strength.

When Nixon took us off the last shred of the gold standard on August 15, 1971 we set ourselves up for a total collapse of our monetary system. The way our financial markets are currently doing business is not only reckless, it has helped to create The Bubbles we have and the eventual Burst of The Bubble. Hurting only the Tax Payer and never the people responsible.

The greed is so absolute at the Higher Echelons of our Government, Banks and Corporations that we have no one protecting The Tax Payers.

The ironic thing to me has always been……….We American’s take it, we may bitch but we keep electing the same crooks. We must be too fucking lazy to shake up our Government and take back this Country.

Now if they taxed our Remote Controls or made American Idol pay per view then the masses would rise up.

Sad…..

Comment

• DLR'sCock
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

Well, I worked as a broker, and the people that could end up losing are the people who thought they were going to make the quick buck by flipping the home. If they simply hold onto the home, eventually the value of the home(s) will work itself out.

Also, I cannot understand how people would allow their fixed period of their loan to expire and become adjustable, knowing that it was a mtter of time. I would constantly tell people that it's time to get out of that, but everyone thinks they know better, but hey you reap what you sew. I would constantly give free advice on how to fix their credit in a short period so they could get into a fixed 30 or whatever fixed, and would they do what I told to do....? No..... I cannot speak for other brokers, and know so many of them are shady and lie to customers, and I really despise that, but at the same time when yo uare honest with your client, they don't want to thear it.

I would never advise someone to get into a financial situation they couldn't handle myself, and would be truthful abotu what they could afford. Of course there are plenty of brokers willing to lie for money, and plenty of consumers who go into a situation with blinders on.

I and I am sure many others saw this coming, it was only a matter of time, people get too greedy and lose a realistic vision of what is occuring.

But hey, there are alot of fuckers who made money....

Comment

• Blackflag
                Banned
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by kwame k

The problem I have now are the sub-prime borrowers get left out to rot.

The government is doing what you are suggesting but they are doing it to the tax payers.

Many people borrowed way beyond their means or ability to pay back the money they borrowed.
                These are people who were stupid enough to get variable rate loans and greedy enough to borrow more than they should have.

It's not for the government to reward irresponsible behavior. In fact, it's not the "government" who would help them: you're asking that responsible taxpayers pay for the irresponsible taxpayers.

Fuck them and the greedy banks that gave them loans.

And fuck you, too, while we're at it.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Blackflag
                  T...

You're such a little pussy-bitch...

Comment

• Blackflag
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2006

So true. And yet, that's the best you can do to put me in my place...so I'm not sure what that makes you.

In fact, you're probably getting all pissy because you're losing your house. Am I right? Admit it.

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

There is a recession coming, no doubt. How bad it will be is another matter.

The problem is that this thing will snowball. The banking crisis in the US has already had knock-on effects in the UK and who knows where it could go from there.

I wouldn't wish negative equity on any home owner. Whilst it is very difficult to get on the housing market here (I should know, I still haven't managed it yet) I won't wish bad luck on anyone. Over-lending just plays into people's greed, and a lot of people are two stupid to realize that borrowing five times your annual income will make you a life-long slave to the interest rate.
                      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• kwame k
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Feb 2008

These are people who were stupid enough to get variable rate loans and greedy enough to borrow more than they should have.

It's not for the government to reward irresponsible behavior. In fact, it's not the "government" who would help them: you're asking that responsible taxpayers pay for the irresponsible taxpayers.

So it's alright for Bear Stearns to get bailed out and Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac to absorb 400 to 500 billion of the bad loans that the companies underwrote?

You're right fuck the people......Save the Big Corporations.....

Oh, wait...you're all about fuck everyone.....

You're such a stoopid fucking tool!

Ignorant fucks like you keep The Corporate Machine Lubed, must of got your opinion Spoon-Fed to ya, there spankie!
                        Last edited by kwame k; 04-07-2008, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• Blackflag
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2006

That's what Lounge likes to call a "strawman argument." Defend giving irresponsible borrowers assistance from responsible taxpayers - if you can.

But even you want to drag the banks into it - what did I say? Fuck them, too.

The free market punishes irresponsible behavior by all players. If you're going to reward it, and say there are no adverse repercussions to your actions - I wonder what that will do to the market?

Oh yeah...and fuck off.

Comment

• kwame k
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Feb 2008

That's what Lounge likes to call a "strawman argument." Defend giving irresponsible borrowers assistance from responsible taxpayers - if you can.

But even you want to drag the banks into it - what did I say? Fuck them, too.

The free market punishes irresponsible behavior by all players. If you're going to reward it, and say there are no adverse repercussions to your actions - I wonder what that will do to the market?

Oh yeah...and fuck off.
                            Straw man argument? Read the other posts, asshole...I'm as pissed as anyone that they bailed out the Big Corps..

Since they have and will do so again, why not help the taxpayers too, it‘s their money bailing out the Big Corps.

Oh yeah, your solution fuck everyone. That makes sense!!

But then again all you ever post is bile..... Pick one thing out of a thread and spit your rhetoric.

Why not bring something to the table…..Doesn’t it get old posting your hate and anger or is it therapeutic?

God, it’s boring even replying to you.

You're a fucking Cliché..

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

It's not for the government to reward irresponsible behavior.
                              Unless, of course you're Halliburton/KBR, Blackwater, or The Pentagon....

It's no coincidence these types of things happen under REPUBLICAN adminstrations.

Deregulation of industries that can take advantage of the system, and thus consumers, and adversely affect the economy on this scale should not be tolerated.

In this country, we protect the citizens from themselves every fucking day.

We don't have a true "Free Market" system, so dont pretend we do.
                              Originally posted by Kristy
                              Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                              Originally posted by cadaverdog
                              I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

Working...