PDA

View Full Version : What current METAL act could cover "Hall Of The Mountain King" effectively?

rustoffa
04-04-2008, 12:27 AM
I listened to Savatage's epic tale earlier. Still crazy after all these years! That being said, what current METAL band could cover that effectively?

Don't forget to vote!

Panamark
04-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Wolfmother, coz they are Oz-dudes, and Oz-dudes can do
anyfink !!

But seriously, if not for my patriotism, I would say Maiden...

Viking
12-21-2008, 04:29 AM
Speaking of Savatage, the wife and I just got back from seeing Trans-Siberian Orchestra. They kicked fucking ass. The fuckers filled a 13,000 seat arena in Birmingham tonight. And they got Jeff Scott Soto touring as a vocalist this time around. I goddamned near got my ass lit off by some of the pyro, we were so close. :killer:

Diamondjimi
12-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Gotta go with Priest!

Shared a bill with Savatage back around 90-91. Hung out with Criss and the boys for the day. Let me wail out through his rig for a bit before soundcheck.
His secret weapon was a pair of Boss OD-1 (or OD-3 long time ago). One he used for rythm and for solos he'd add the other.
Great guy ,hell of a loss. R.I.P.

binnie
12-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Bob will make a sticky mess when he sees a thread about Savatage!

Wolfmother couldn't play it, nor could Sixx Am.

Maiden would be cool, but Opeth and Mastodon would both do something really interesting with it.

My vote goes for Mastodon - it would sound nothing like the original, but it would fucking RULE.

WACF
12-27-2008, 11:03 PM
I really want to pick somone...but fuck...I don't think any of them could do it.

Although...there would be some interesting versions there...

bueno bob
12-28-2008, 04:30 AM
Well, I'm kind of at a toss between Opeth and Mastodon. Having just downloaded the new Burden EP from Opeth with the cover of AiC's "Would?", I have to say that Opeth can do justice (and better) to pretty much any fucking cover they want to do...

But I have to say something like Grieg would be probably better suited to Mastodon's style...

Matt White
12-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Mastodon......

hands down

WACF
12-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Opeth's cover of Would? is pretty good...deadly live band too....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/inpbS2JpMRA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/inpbS2JpMRA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bueno bob
12-29-2008, 01:39 AM
I've seen them live about six times now, they're always awesome...

bueno bob
12-29-2008, 01:41 AM
Gotta go with Priest!

Shared a bill with Savatage back around 90-91. Hung out with Criss and the boys for the day. Let me wail out through his rig for a bit before soundcheck.
His secret weapon was a pair of Boss OD-1 (or OD-3 long time ago). One he used for rythm and for solos he'd add the other.
Great guy ,hell of a loss. R.I.P.

I think about the kind of music Criss would be making today and fucking weep. I STILL miss him terribly.

That's a very awesome story, though! Steve Wacholz told me once that Savatage always had a "Our Stage Is Your Stage" attitude about them and they were always fucking GREAT with the fans...very cool story!