X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hideyoursheep
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2007

Bill Maher's,"Religulous"

I'm not a fan of Maher's but this movie is pretty interesting. Has a lot of good points, but Maher doesn't know when to STFU and listen, like with the "Jews For Jesus" guy. He's too busy trying to throw his jokes in with the interviews. You can watch it here para gratis if you like...

• sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Why would I want to watch a movie trying to convince me that my religion is wrong? I'd no sooner watch a movie telling me that my liking of Van Halen is wrong.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• VanHalener
      ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

I rank Bill up there with Al Sharpton on my "I Wish Predator Would Catch That Fucker" list.

Maher....Ha, what a douchebag!!!

~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Nov 2004

I find Maher to be quite amusing and thought provoking.

I do wonder why believers in such an all powerful "God" find him to be so threatening. They feel the need to avoid Maher and his work or issue silly threats and call him names. See previous entries on the thread for details.
        Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• VanHalener
          ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

You may like him, but I find the cat to be a worm. Taking no side, for or against diety, I think he's a useless pustsule.

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by VanHalener
            Taking no side, for or against diety, I think he's a useless pustsule.
            Which side do you take?
            Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• VanHalener
              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Overall....

I believe there is much more than just life on earth as we know it.

We'll see, I guess.

I don't dislike Bill for his views and opinions, I just don't like the dude. Just rubs me wrong.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by sadaist
                Why would I want to watch a movie trying to convince me that my religion is wrong?
                I think that's an odd assumption...he's not out there trying to rob people of their souls or their faith, he's only asking practical questions about several religious doctrines and what the real intentions were/are. If your faith in whatever you believe is strong, you shouldn't be afraid or offended....what would Jesus do?

Originally posted by VanHalener
                I don't dislike Bill for his views and opinions, I just don't like the dude. Just rubs me wrong.
                :bottle:

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                  I think that's an odd assumption...he's not out there trying to rob people of their souls or their faith, he's only asking practical questions about several religious doctrines and what the real intentions were/are. If your faith in whatever you believe is strong, you shouldn't be afraid or offended....what would Jesus do?
                  I'm not afraid or offended at all, nor did I say I was. I'm not offended that many people can't stand Van Halen either. Everyone has their own beliefs and opinions and that's totally cool. I'm just not into watching a movie by a guy who keeps trying to debunk mine. I don't get how so many people can believe in something, whether it's in a God/higher power or that there is no God, and feel the need to try to convince everyone else of the same.

Faith is subjective. There's no way to prove what's right or wrong. You can debate and ask all the questions you want, but it doesn't change the fact that there's no way to prove anything either way. Much like music. It's a personal choice/belief/opinion on what's best for you, and I think people should leave it at that.
                  “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I'm not afraid or offended at all, nor did I say I was. I'm not offended that many people can't stand Van Halen either. Everyone has their own beliefs and opinions and that's totally cool. I'm just not into watching a movie by a guy who keeps trying to debunk mine. I don't get how so many people can believe in something, whether it's in a God/higher power or that there is no God, and feel the need to try to convince everyone else of the same.

Faith is subjective. There's no way to prove what's right or wrong. You can debate and ask all the questions you want, but it doesn't change the fact that there's no way to prove anything either way. Much like music. It's a personal choice/belief/opinion on what's best for you, and I think people should leave it at that.

How do you even know what the actual points of his movie are? You haven't even seen it.

Maybe he's not taking issue with the existence or nonexistence of a God. Maybe he's just mocking the shit out of organized religion, whose actions are often so hypocritical and contrary to the teachings of the figures they claims to represent that they are downright blasphemous.....

Comment

• sadaist
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                      How do you even know what the actual points of his movie are? You haven't even seen it.
                      I've seen clips of it and watched two interviews with him where he discussed it. He was also recently on Huckabee.

Comment

• kwame k
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Feb 2008

Just got done watching it........wasn't too bad and there were some funny parts. Overall, pretty good flick......I agree, he was trying to be too cute in some parts. Maher's not the type of host or comic I can watch everyday or seek out. Just once in awhile.....

Thanks for posting the link, Sheep.
                        Originally posted by vandeleur
                        E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I've seen clips of it and watched two interviews with him where he discussed it. He was also recently on Huckabee.
                          So Bill Maher making a documentary about the exploitation of religion is bad, but Mike Huckabee turning his religious fanaticism into a "career" at FAUX Noise is OK??
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                            So Bill Maher making a documentary about the exploitation of religion is bad, but Mike Huckabee turning his religious fanaticism into a "career" at FAUX Noise is OK??
                            It has nothing to do with bad or good, right or wrong. Like I've said a couple times now, watch whatever you want. If you enjoy it, that's terrific. I'm just choosing to not watch it.

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Nov 2004

Religious people tend to avoid information that challenges their beliefs.

Invisible made up shit does not stand up up to much scrutiny.

Comment

Working...