The "still play =VH= albums on Vinyl" thread.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BITEYOASS
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

The "still play =VH= albums on Vinyl" thread.

Bought a new Sony Turntable (yeah, they still make em) and the six pack sounds way better going 33 1/3 rpm at high volume, than some shitty CD going several hundred rpm.

And that's just with a turntable hooked up to a 50W PC speaker system w/subwoofer. Imagine hooking up an amplifier and some real floor speakers up to this SOB.
  • VanHalener
    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
    Bought a new Sony Turntable (yeah, they still make em) and the six pack sounds way better going 33 1/3 rpm at high volume, than some shitty CD going several hundred rpm.

And that's just with a turntable hooked up to a 50W PC speaker system w/subwoofer. Imagine hooking up an amplifier and some real floor speakers up to this SOB.

~Indeed~

A part of my daily R&R diet. LPs, man...Spin 'em if you got 'em!
    ~Only you can prevent low volume~

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Nov 2004

Yep. I recently found a sealed copy of 1984 on ebay to replace my tattered original. Sounds fantastic.
      Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• Coyote
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

I'm still looking for I, II, and Fair Warning...
        Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
        It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• if6was9
          Head Fluffer
          • Mar 2007

LPs are better than CDs - their sleeves have more space for the autographs.
          Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Comment

• Pennypacker
            Foot Soldier
            • Mar 2009

Great thread.

I recently picked up

VHI from 78, not sealed for $10
            VHII from 79, not sealed for $4
            WACF from 80, sealed for $20
            DD, from 82, sealed for $20
            1984, my dad's copy, with his name written on the top right corner lol

I'm still looking for a sealed Fair Warning, all I've found on eBay are not sealed, that are going for $5.

The one's that arent sealed, play great.

Also

I picked up Crazy from the Heat, not sealed for $2.75
            EEAS, not sealed for $2.75 and
            Skyscraper, sealed for $15.

Comment

• UK ROCKER
              Banned
              • Oct 2009

I still play records and get good bargains from boots sales.
              I know how to fookin' live!

Comment

• NATEDOG001976
                Veteran
                • Apr 2004

Never got the LP sound, but to each it's own. I like the CD remasters and the Gold ones.
                http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8...19yc8872wu.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5...0269il5.th.jpg

Originally posted by fuckhowardstern - dude - you sounded cool as a cucumber - totally relaxed and spoke with authority - must say I was a bit surprised but you sounded really at ease - super cool-like.

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra - nate, you are the fucking attention whore of the day and you DESERVE it

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise - BTW, bravo NATE! Soon Dave will mention the Army by himself!

Originally posted by franksters Have you heard Nate properly, We now moved up to an ''Organisation'' Awesome man!!
                Roth army....more than an army....it's a gr8 Organization!!

Originally posted by Northern Girl
                Nate, so cool. I'm listening to the Dallas feed, so it'll be coming up in a while. Can't wait!

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

Too bad that Sony sounds like crap...

Get a good used Technics table and install a good cartridge and that Sony will be on ebay...

Comment

• Coyote
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
                    I'm still looking for I, II, and Fair Warning...
                    Scratch Fair Warning from the list...
                    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Back in the late 90's I traded quite an expensive Tascam reel to reel tape recorder for a very well preserved collection of the Six Pack on original vinyl. The vinyl is scratch free and the albums contain the original posters that were never unfolded...

To this day, I have never played Fair Warning or 1984. I've played V A N H A L E N II several times, just because it's my favorite and I couldn't resist...

Cheers!

Comment

• diamondsgirl
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by if6was9
                        LPs are better than CDs - their sleeves have more space for the autographs.
                        yeah...I actually miss the large sleeves with the artwork, and pics etc.

The visual experience of a new album was almost as cool as the audio.
                        “Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding” ― Betty White

Comment

• SNIPER
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jun 2004

I used to like the smell of a fresh new just opened LP sleeve. i miss albums.

Comment

• NATEDOG001976
                            Veteran
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by BITEYOASS

Should play my WACF record again soon.
                            http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8...19yc8872wu.jpg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5...0269il5.th.jpg

Originally posted by fuckhowardstern - dude - you sounded cool as a cucumber - totally relaxed and spoke with authority - must say I was a bit surprised but you sounded really at ease - super cool-like.

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra - nate, you are the fucking attention whore of the day and you DESERVE it

Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise - BTW, bravo NATE! Soon Dave will mention the Army by himself!

Originally posted by franksters Have you heard Nate properly, We now moved up to an ''Organisation'' Awesome man!!
                            Roth army....more than an army....it's a gr8 Organization!!

Originally posted by Northern Girl
                            Nate, so cool. I'm listening to the Dallas feed, so it'll be coming up in a while. Can't wait!

Comment

• VHscraps
                              Veteran
                              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by VanHalener
                              ~Indeed~

A part of my daily R&R diet. LPs, man...Spin 'em if you got 'em!
                              Yeah, me too. It's not so much for sound quality purposes - my speakers and amp are probably too cheap to tell - but what I prefer about LPs is that you are more inclined to sit back (or jump around or whatever) and listen to the whole thing as it was meant to be listened to. You also get the packaging. Just compare the shot of Dave on the back of VH1 with the little tiny version of the pic on the CD - part of the magic of it all is stuff like that. The cover of VH1 particularly was a perfect counterpart to the sound on the record.

With CDs and MP3 it's too easy to skip through an album. When you listen to those VH albums beginning to end, you realise how awesome they are. Do LPs even exist anymore with MP3s? Kids just buy tracks, or download stuff without really getting the full-on experience.

Also, there's almost no flab with vinyl LPs. The optimum length of a vinyl LP was 30-40 mins max. VH albums always came in at about 33, 35 mins to preserve sonic quality at the mastering stage. If you listen to any of the Templeman/Landee Warners productions for other acts - I think of the first Montrose album, and the awesome 'Sailin' Shoes' by Little Feat - they are all just over 30 mins long.
                              THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

Working...