• Show
Clear All
  • fryingdutchman
    Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

The Stooges' Ron Asheton dead at 60

Stooges' guitarist Ron Asheton found dead in his Ann Arbor home
    by Art Aisner | The Ann Arbor News

Famed rock-and-roll guitarist and longtime Ann Arbor resident Ronald "Ron" Asheton was found dead in his home on the city's west side this morning, police said.

Asheton, 60, was an original member of The Stooges, a garage-rock band headlined by Iggy Pop and formed in Ann Arbor in 1967.

Stooges guitarist Ron Asheton was found dead early today in his Ann Arbor home.His personal assistant contacted police late Monday night after being unable to reach Asheton for days, Detective Bill Stanford said.
    Officers went to the home on Highlake Avenue at around midnight and discovered Asheton's body on a living-room couch. He appeared to have been dead for at least several days, Stanford said.

Detective Sgt. Jim Stephenson said the cause of death is undetermined but investigators do not suspect foul play. Autopsy and toxicology results are pending.

Asheton was born in Washington, D.C. His brother, Scott, who lives in Florida, is the band's drummer.

In 2007, The Stooges reunited and released "The Weirdness," their first album in three decades.

Asked how it felt to be back with The Stooges, Asheton told The News in an interview that year that it was "great to be back on the road."

The Stooges were part of a 1960s music scene in Ann Arbor that included such bands as the MC5, Bob Seger, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, and The Rationals.
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.
  • GAR
    Banned
    • Jan 2004

This guy came out to Hollywood in the early 90's and rented a couple half-stacks from me and tried to stiff me with a bad check. He played some club on Hollywood Blvd. I think it was called Al's Bar, and all these celebrities showed up.

Iggy Pop's teenage kid was there, hung around all day during sound check then came back for the show. Then Iggy came by who hadn't seen either one of 'em for a decade.

Looks like he'll be writing no more bad checks.

Comment

• PHOENIX
      Veteran
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by GAR
      This guy came out to Hollywood in the early 90's and rented a couple half-stacks from me and tried to stiff me with a bad check. He played some club on Hollywood Blvd. I think it was called Al's Bar, and all these celebrities showed up.

Iggy Pop's teenage kid was there, hung around all day during sound check then came back for the show. Then Iggy came by who hadn't seen either one of 'em for a decade.

Looks like he'll be writing no more bad checks.
      How much was he trying to rip you off for if you dont mind me asking?

Comment

• LoungeMachine
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by PHOENIX
        How much was he trying to rip you off for if you dont mind me asking?
        The better question would have been......

Just how stupid does one have to be to accept a check in payment from a former drug addict for payment of anything?

Originally posted by Kristy
        Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
        Originally posted by cadaverdog
        I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Nov 2004

Those riffs, that sound of his... "Fun House": what an awesome album!
          If only he and Iggy Pop had been just half as smart as Jagger/Richards, they'd have brought a few other ones to chew...

I saw the Stooges reunited in August 2005 in Colmar, France (Alsace) right in the middle of a huge wine festival. I don't really care about Iggy Pop, I was mostly interested in those kickass guitar riffs.

BTW, how sad... Dying all alone like dog on a December 31st...
          R.I.P. Mr Asheton
          posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
          posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D-j39KyobYI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D-j39KyobYI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

RIP Ron
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...