Page/Jones/Bonham + Singer = Led Zeppelin?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Badguy
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Page/Jones/Bonham + Singer = Led Zeppelin?

According to Xfm, Peter Mensch, LED ZEPPELIN guitarist Jimmy Page's manager, has said that Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham are likely to record and tour with a new singer.

Mensch told the BBC 6 Music, "People don't really understand it. Jimmy Page has been playing guitar professionally since he was 16 years old. Jimmy Page likes being a musician. That's what he does! He doesn't want to be a race car driver or a solicitor.

"They decided that if they could find a singer that they thought would fit their bill — whatever their bill was at this stage in their career — that they'd make a record and go on tour… That's what Jimmy Page does."

Peter Mensch, whose QPrime stable also includes RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS and METALLICA, declined to speculate on a possible replacement for singer Robert Plant.

"I can't comment on any rumors right now," said the manager, "It's gonna be a long and difficult process. And we're not soliciting people! So don't call me about it!"

Source: Blabbermouth.net

===================================

It looks like this is a goer, this years big reunion tour.

I`m fine with it as long as it isn`t billed "Led Zeppelin" (although I`m sure it WON`T be).

New material?

Page hasn`t wrote anything much for, well, since "Coverdale/Page" (almost great) and "Walking into Clarksdale" (almost good), although Jones has delivered phenomenal solo albums albeit with little commerciality.

Could be good.

Or....
    sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Why is Robert Plant being such a pussy and not getting back together with them?

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

I don't like it, but I have to admit, if they tour, I'm going....
      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Mr Badguy
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        Why is Robert Plant being such a pussy and not getting back together with them?
        I understand his reasons for not wanting to do it.

He feels that the "legend" of Led Zeppelin should be left alone.

I think he also sees it as a step backwards, that there`s nothing fresh to be done.

However, whatever happened to "Give the people what they want"?
        sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• Big Train
          Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

They are going to go on tour with Queen and Paul Rodgers will just stay on stage for 4 hours.

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Here are two contradictory news articles, both appearing the same day in the English press. Best of luck getting at the truth...

Led Zeppelin 'will tour and record album with new singer'
            Jimmy Page's manager confirms that the band are keen to get things rolling

Jan 7, 2009

Jimmy Page's manager today confirmed that Led Zeppelin are planning to tour and record a new album with a replacement singer for Robert Plant.

Plant confirmed in December that he wasn't interested in a full Led Zeppelin reunion, despite still remaining on good terms with his former bandmates.

In October, Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones hinted that the band were willing to continue with or without Plant.

Speaking about Led Zeppelin's future plans, Page's manager Peter Mensch confirmed that the band would indeed carry on - if they can find the right singer.

"Jimmy Page has been playing guitar professionally since he was 16 years old. Jimmy Page likes being a musician. That's what he does! He doesn't want to be a race car driver or a solicitor," Mensch told 6Music.

"So they [Page, Jones and drummer Jason Bonham] did the show [at London's O2 Arena in 2007] with Robert Plant; they had a really good time rehearsing, the three of them, before Robert showed up.

"And they decided that if they could find a singer that they thought would fit their bill – whatever their bill was at this stage in their career – that they'd make a record and go on tour.

Mensch said that he supported the trio's decision to carry on playing together, although he refused to comment on who Plant's replacement might be.

"John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page enjoy playing with each other, Jason Bonham is a really good drummer so why not? We just need to find a singer," he said.

While rumours of who Plant's replacement will be have included Soundgarden's Chris Cornell, Aerosmith's Steven Tyler, Mensch remained tight-lipped on the issue.

"It's gonna be a long and difficult process," he said. "And we're not soliciting people! So don't call me about it!"
            http://www.nme.com/news/led-zeppelin/41923

"Led Zeppelin are over!" says Jimmy Page's manager
            Group members not recording, touring together

Joe Bosso, Wed 7 Jan 2009, 5:43 pm UTC

Despite published reports indicating otherwise, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham have abandoned plans to record and tour together.

MusicRadar spoke exclusively with Peter Mensch, Jimmy Page's manager, who stated categorically, "Led Zeppelin are over! If you didn't see them in 2007 [when they played a one-off reunion at London's O2 Arena], you missed them. It's done. I can't be any clearer than that."

There are absolutely no plans for them to continue. Zero. Frankly, I wish everybody would stop talking about it" Peter Mensch, Jimmy Page's manager, on the prospect of a 'Led Zeppelin' tourMensch confirmed that last fall, when singer Robert Plant made it known he was continuing his partnership with bluegrass artist Alison Krauss and had no intention of returning to Led Zeppelin, replacement vocalists were auditioned to possibly record and tour with Page, Jones and Bonham.

"They tried out a few singers, but no one worked out," says Mensch. "That was it. The whole thing is completely over now. There are absolutely no plans for them to continue. Zero. Frankly, I wish everybody would stop talking about it."

When asked what new projects Jimmy Page was going to be involved with in 2009, Mensch said, "Fuck if I know. I'm waiting to hear."

Despite published reports indicating otherwise, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham have abandoned plans to record and tour together.MusicRadar spoke exclusively with Peter Mensch, Jimmy Page

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Oct 2004

I read that they're not using the name "Led Zeppellin", though...I think it was in Classic Rock.
              Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• chefcraig
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
                I read that they're not using the name "Led Zeppellin", though...I think it was in Classic Rock.
                A handful of speculative journalists referred to the group as "Led Zeppelin", leading to the predictable groans from the gallery that this project would be called LZ. Page, Jones and Bonham made statements this was never the case, yet you can not un-ring a bell.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• katie
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Nov 2004

c'mon Jimmy put a solo LP out with guest singers ala Santana.

Percy is too old and does not have the range anymore (he has said as much himself) But if he wasn't shifting a lot of units with Alison K thing I bet he would prostitute himself again.

Personally i think it Zep should be left alone, Iv'e seen the boot dvds of 02 and zep wasn't that good. For a one off they got away with it, but to put it on tour so ALL the world can see night after night would be a stain on a great career.

Comment

• sammysucks65
                    Head Fluffer
                    • May 2005

bump bump

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

As long as they don't use the name 'Led Zepp' no one will have a huge problem with this.

The reason that 'Queen + Paul Rogers' flopped is because of the weight of the past casting so many expectation over them: the original name places limitations on what the band is ALLOWED to sound like by their fans.
                      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• PHOENIX
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2004

I think its best they dont use the name Led Zeppelin.

I'd love to hear some new riffs from Page. But without Plant it aint Led Zep.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Mr Badguy
                          However, whatever happened to "Give the people what they want"?
                          Ask spED

Originally posted by Kristy
                          Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                          Originally posted by cadaverdog
                          I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

It'd be great to hear what Page, Jones and Jason could come up with in terms of new music, regardless of who was singing.

Going out on the road billed as Led Zeppelin with someone else besides Plant on vocals, especially if it's a classic Zep only setlist? I'd give that a pass.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• chefcraig
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                              Going out on the road billed as Led Zeppelin with someone else besides Plant on vocals, especially if it's a classic Zep only setlist? I'd give that a pass.
                              I hear ya. It would be like...oh, I dunno. Like if Sammy Hagar fronted Van Halen or something equally despicable.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...