PDA

View Full Version : Coming to a town near you.

Blackflag
01-13-2009, 02:29 PM
http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,,24875392-15306,00.html

knuckleboner
01-13-2009, 02:57 PM
U.S. courts would not authorize something like this. this is so clearly a "search" under the constitution that it would absolutely require a warrant.

now, some may debate whether or not "fill-in-the-blank" administration wants to/or has secretly done things like this, regardless of the law. however, it's not going to come with court approval.

in short, i wouldn't worry.

Blackflag
01-13-2009, 04:31 PM
There are already 'secret rooms' at the telecom companies monitoring calls and internet. U.S. courts have't even had a chance to comment on it, because national security / state secrets doctrine dismisses the cases immediately. Last year, some ISPs and search engines said they give data to the DoJ without a warrant.

So if you think it's 'nothing to worry about,' you're nuts. You're one of those guys who thinks the government is there to protect you.

knuckleboner
01-13-2009, 04:53 PM
so...the court cases are all dismissed? ok, so far, i'm not that worried.

and yes, i know about some companies giving data to the feds, but that's a little bit different. i have a much higher expectation of privacy of files on my own computer than i do about the list of terms i type into a search engine on the public internet. (i'm not saying i advocate them turning over search engine data, just that i think there's a difference.)

but, actually, yes, i'm not worried that, like the article says happened in britain, that U.S. courts will rule that the federal government may remotely search a private computer without a warrant. i am in no way worried that that ruling will occur.

Blackflag
01-13-2009, 05:06 PM
so...the court cases are all dismissed? ok, so far, i'm not that worried.

and yes, i know about some companies giving data to the feds, but that's a little bit different. i have a much higher expectation of privacy of files on my own computer than i do about the list of terms i type into a search engine on the public internet. (i'm not saying i advocate them turning over search engine data, just that i think there's a difference.)

but, actually, yes, i'm not worried that, like the article says happened in britain, that U.S. courts will rule that the federal government may remotely search a private computer without a warrant. i am in no way worried that that ruling will occur.

Maybe you're not getting it... There is evidence that the U.S. government is monitoring phone and internet without a warrant. (And your distinction between files on your computer and email is irrelevant - both require warrants.) People sued. The DoJ claimed state secrets... so the cases were dismissed.

The courts won't 'rule' anything - because they're not being allowed to. So if you're waiting for the federal courts to protect you, I don't think you know what the fuck is going on - right now.

Andy Taylor
01-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Looks like the European dictatorship is at it again. Don't worry it's just Bilderberg business as usual; we really do live in democracies and we have the power to put people into office.

Blackflag
01-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Who's 'we?' Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

Andy Taylor
01-13-2009, 05:31 PM
That was just sarcasm.

Blackflag
01-13-2009, 05:31 PM
So was mine. I know you don't have a mouse in your pocket.

LoungeMachine
01-13-2009, 05:52 PM
There are already 'secret rooms' at the telecom companies monitoring calls and internet. .

Started PRE-9/11 PATRIOT ACT, too....

BuchCO came in PLANNING on data-mining us.

And Qwest was the ONLY one to tell them to fuck off.

:gulp:

Blackflag
01-13-2009, 06:15 PM
What I thought was particularly cool about this article is that the stupid fucking British don't just have to worry about their own police state anymore...now they have every country in Europe monitoring them. I wonder if they're starting to regret the EU yet - or if they're just too fucking clueless to care.

LoungeMachine
01-13-2009, 06:28 PM
A little of both, is my guess...

It's Europe. WTF do we care?

:)

Blackflag
01-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Good point. Fuck em.

Andy Taylor
01-13-2009, 06:40 PM
I know you don't have a mouse in your pocket.

No, you don't.

LoungeMachine
01-13-2009, 06:43 PM
No, you don't.

Actually he does know.

He's hacked into the gubment's secret camera program that's watching you right now......

Didnt you wear that shirt yesterday, too?

Andy Taylor
01-13-2009, 06:44 PM
stupid fucking British

they're just too fucking clueless

Fuck em.

It's Europe. WTF do we care?

Sentiments I cannot help but applaud. I'm anti-police state but in recent times I've become sick about Euros and Brits and can't believe I considered joining an anti-Europe campaign that would be in the Brit's interest. Fuck them, indeed. They deserve it.

Andy Taylor
01-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Didnt you wear that shirt yesterday, too?

If you had said 'you changed that shirt this morning' I would have felt slightly paranoid.

knuckleboner
01-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Maybe you're not getting it... There is evidence that the U.S. government is monitoring phone and internet without a warrant. (And your distinction between files on your computer and email is irrelevant - both require warrants.) People sued. The DoJ claimed state secrets... so the cases were dismissed.

The courts won't 'rule' anything - because they're not being allowed to. So if you're waiting for the federal courts to protect you, I don't think you know what the fuck is going on - right now.

let me be a little more clear:

i am not worried that U.S. courts will ok the practice of remotely searching somebody's personal computer. they won't.

true, that only does not stop any group (government included) from still doing the practice. but if they do, they won't be able to bring me before a court of law because the courts will clearly rule it an illegal search.

that's what the article you posted was about (the british courts okaying the practice) and that's what i'm not worried about happening.

now, if the question is whether the government will do it anyway, ok, sure, maybe they will (are). however, if they try to use it against anybody, the only thing they'll be able to do is hold the person indefinitely, without a trial. now THAT practice has ALWAYS worried me. regardless of what means, legitimate or not, they use to obtain evidence.