PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive: Van Halen Not Playing Download

katie
01-16-2009, 06:10 PM
From Classic Rock Website,

Van Halen won’t be heading to our shores any time soon and we find out why from Download Festival Organizer, Andy Copping. You can also cross Aerosmith off of this year’s list but ZZ Top are a possibility. It’s all inside!

What about Van Halen for this year’s Download? Is it zeroes on the chequebook and that’s what would bring them over?

“It’s beyond that,” admits Copping. “It’s totally beyond that. What you have to realise with Van Halen is that they make so much money in America, they can continue to tour and go back to play places that they’ve already played and they sell out, sell out, sell out. The money that they were raking in the US was huge and what people forget is that Van Halen weren’t that big an act in the UK and Europe. They’d probably be one of my favourite acts ever with Dave Lee Roth, I love them, and I would love them to come over and play. Whether it’s Download or dates or whatever”

“They need a certain amount of money to make it work which is, quite frankly, ugly but the reality of it is that they don’t want to be on the road together, they think Europe’s cold, they don’t want to be on a tour bus or in a place with David Lee Roth regardless of what you see onstage, the band go off one side of the stage and Dave goes off the other, his dressing room is as far away from theres as is humanly possible in a venue…these guys don’t get on.”

“Onstage, you wouldn’t know it, but it’s tough,” continues Copping. “Why would they leave there own country when they’re making so much money? Why would they come here for less money when they’re at home out there too? I saw 3 shows on the tour and it’s fucking incredible. We’ve had the same situation with Aerosmith. The money in the states is so good, why would they bother? That’s not a slight to their fans or anything like that but they can bleed the American market because the desire’s always there to see the band. That’s where it is with the Van Halen camp.”

Copping also compared the Van Halen situation to the state of affairs that kept Aerosmith from returning to European shores for a full 9 years.

“I think Van Halen will probably make it here at some stage, lord knows when, but it will possibly be when things have dried up in the US. Aerosmith played in Hyde Park last year and we’d been trying to snare them for 5 years. The reason that they’ve not been because they could always go out in the US. “We’ll put you out with Kiss” and they were drawing such a huge amount of money that they let that to dry up and that’s when they said “we’ll head to Europe” and that’s what I think will happen with Van Halen. It’ll get to a point where they cannot play the US anymore, they’ll come to Europe.”

link - http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/van-halen-not-playing-download/

Diamondjimi
01-16-2009, 06:25 PM
That's the reality of it. Why go overseas when you can line you pockets at home?!

ELVIS
01-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Things have already dried up here in the good ole US of A________...

But these type of articles just leave me with a sour feeling...

At least to some extent, Billy Gibbons and Dave at times can make you feel like they care about the fans, but...

Hmmm...

I dunno...

:elvis:

Seshmeister
01-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Dave solo toured Europe on every tour from Skyscraper up until the Diamond Dave album. I don't think that was a money thing, I'm not sure it was a fans thing, I think he just likes to travel. If it was a money thing he would have been selling t-shirts and shit.

That was the downside with him getting back with the Van Halens it meant he wouldn't be back. As a one off show I'm sure that the Download people could pay Van Halen more than an average arena night but it's all more hassle than it's worth to punch drunk Eddie and sister.

The only chance is that at some point he decides to show his son the world by taking him on a world tour but it's unlikely.

To be honest I may not go even if they did, I'm too old to go and stand in the rain in a muddy field somewhere miles from the stage.

ELVIS
01-17-2009, 12:37 AM
How 'bout if it was raining your favourite Vodka ??

http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/122981/2097391/2106071/2106003/040902_Vodka.jpg

But seriously, how much is a night like that gonna cost you in whatever currency Scotland is using today...pounds ?? Only to walk away mostly dissapointed ??

Cheers!
:gulp:

ELVIS
01-17-2009, 12:39 AM
Disappointed...even...;)

:elvis:

Diamondjimi
01-17-2009, 02:10 AM
To be honest I may not go even if they did, I'm too old to go and stand in the rain in a muddy field somewhere miles from the stage.

How 'bout if it was raining your favourite Vodka ??

http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/122981/2097391/2106071/2106003/040902_Vodka.jpg

But seriously, how much is a night like that gonna cost you in whatever currency Scotland is using today...pounds ?? Only to walk away mostly dissapointed ??

Cheers!

:rofl:
:guzzle:

Coyote
01-17-2009, 09:55 AM
You'd think they'd have at least a few days in their schedule to play Europe (Funland), too...

Seshmeister
01-17-2009, 08:27 PM

Cheers!

A fuck of a lot less than flying to Baltimore to see it like I did last May. :)

flappo
01-18-2009, 09:22 AM
what does a scottish kid get for xmas ?

your bike

binnie
01-18-2009, 12:25 PM
I figured this would be the case. Sucks, but for it to work as a viable (read: exceptionally profitable) option they would have to plan a 6 month world tour - could they bear spending all of that time together?

Nope.

Andy Taylor
01-18-2009, 08:52 PM
The money in the states is so good, why would they bother? but they can bleed the American market ... That’s not a slight to their fans or anything ...

Terry
01-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Have they actually bled the US dry yet?

Dunno if the Aerosmith comparison is valid, because Van Halen have only toured...what...three times in the last decade...

At any rate, Roth and the Van Halens made plenty of dough this past go-around; doubt there's much financial incentive for them to feel they have to do ANYTHING anytime soon.

Realistically, the 2007-2008 tour was probably Roth's biggest payday in years, regardless of him getting as much as the Van Halens or not.

Atomic_Rob
01-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Van Halen would fucking clean up in Europe, lazy cunts.

binnie
01-20-2009, 02:34 AM
Van Halen would fucking clean up in Europe, lazy cunts.

Mmmmm not so sure. They'd be able to do an arena tour for sure, an extensive one even, but they'd never be able to do those crazy tickets packages that they offered the US fans and consequently the tour wouldn't be as financialy rewarding. They'd still make a fuck-load of cash by our standards, but nowhere near as much as they could on another US tour.

Seshmeister
01-20-2009, 06:01 AM
True I don't think people in Europe would pay for those rip off gold and platinum packages.

The final straw is probably that the pound is worth a third fewer dollars than it was a few months back.

flappo
01-20-2009, 10:36 AM
look at the royal bank of scotland fuckup

i thought you skots were so careful with your fucking dough

jero
01-21-2009, 04:40 AM
True I don't think people in Europe would pay for those rip off gold and platinum packages..

We allways say no but in the end it's sold out!