PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to the Kansas City School Board

Nickdfresh
01-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Open Letter To Kansas School Board

I am writing you with much concern after having read of your hearing to decide whether the alternative theory of Intelligent Design should be taught along with the theory of Evolution. I think we can all agree that it is important for students to hear multiple viewpoints so they can choose for themselves the theory that makes the most sense to them. I am concerned, however, that students will only hear one theory of Intelligent Design.

Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. It was He who created all that we see and all that we feel. We feel strongly that the overwhelming scientific evidence pointing towards evolutionary processes is nothing but a coincidence, put in place by Him.

It is for this reason that I’m writing you today, to formally request that this alternative theory be taught in your schools, along with the other two theories. In fact, I will go so far as to say, if you do not agree to do this, we will be forced to proceed with legal action. I’m sure you see where we are coming from. If the Intelligent Design theory is not based on faith, but instead another scientific theory, as is claimed, then you must also allow our theory to be taught, as it is also based on science, not on faith.

Some find that hard to believe, so it may be helpful to tell you a little more about our beliefs. We have evidence that a Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe. None of us, of course, were around to see it, but we have written accounts of it. We have several lengthy volumes explaining all details of His power. Also, you may be surprised to hear that there are over 10 million of us, and growing. We tend to be very secretive, as many people claim our beliefs are not substantiated by observable evidence. What these people don’t understand is that He built the world to make us think the earth is older than it really is. For example, a scientist may perform a carbon-dating process on an artifact. He finds that approximately 75% of the Carbon-14 has decayed by electron emission to Nitrogen-14, and infers that this artifact is approximately 10,000 years old, as the half-life of Carbon-14 appears to be 5,730 years. But what our scientist does not realize is that every time he makes a measurement, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is there changing the results with His Noodly Appendage. We have numerous texts that describe in detail how this can be possible and the reasons why He does this. He is of course invisible and can pass through normal matter with ease.

I’m sure you now realize how important it is that your students are taught this alternate theory. It is absolutely imperative that they realize that observable evidence is at the discretion of a Flying Spaghetti Monster. Furthermore, it is disrespectful to teach our beliefs without wearing His chosen outfit, which of course is full pirate regalia. I cannot stress the importance of this enough, and unfortunately cannot describe in detail why this must be done as I fear this letter is already becoming too long. The concise explanation is that He becomes angry if we don’t.

You may be interested to know that global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s. For your interest, I have included a graph of the approximate number of pirates versus the average global temperature over the last 200 years. As you can see, there is a statistically significant inverse relationship between pirates and global temperature.

In conclusion, thank you for taking the time to hear our views and beliefs. I hope I was able to convey the importance of teaching this theory to your students. We will of course be able to train the teachers in this alternate theory. I am eagerly awaiting your response, and hope dearly that no legal action will need to be taken. I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence.

Sincerely Yours,

Bobby Henderson, concerned citizen.

P.S. I have included an artistic drawing of Him creating a mountain, trees, and a midget. Remember, we are all His creatures.

:rofl:

From The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. (http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/)

FORD
01-17-2009, 02:10 PM
I can't believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Because if He existed, you would be able to buy fucking spaghetti sauce (His blood?) without the blasphemous fucking high fructose corn poison in it.

thome
01-21-2009, 11:17 PM
If we decended from monkeys why are there still monkeys?

It is because we branched off from primates ....

convenient( you know out of my butt):upyours::asshole:
All up-pinsi'de
I think we descended from a offshoot of buttholes.

Everythink has a big asshole....... explaining alot.... and that explains alot.

Darwinism is the theory of the ever evolving butthole.

Me ..............personally ......find it all somewhat sh!tty.

Some drunkassed butthole trying to unviel the reason for buttholes.

Here'es Monkey in Yer Eye!

thome
01-21-2009, 11:19 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n189/thome_2006/4gghcopy.jpg

bueno bob
01-21-2009, 11:42 PM
If we decended from monkeys why are there still monkeys?

It is because we branched off from primates ....

Technically, we're closer to sea life than monkeys.

convenient( you know out of my butt):upyours::asshole:
All up-pinsi'de
I think we descended from a offshoot of buttholes.

I'm at a loss...?

Everythink has a big asshole....... explaining alot.... and that explains alot.

Or nothing at all.

Darwinism is the theory of the ever evolving butthole.

Me ..............personally ......find it all somewhat sh!tty.

Some drunkassed butthole trying to unviel the reason for buttholes.

Here'es Monkey in Yer Eye!

In Stephen King's universe, a giant turtle had indigestion and belched up the universe. What's your theory on that?

Ally_Kat
01-22-2009, 06:18 PM
First, I crocheted one hell of a Spaghetti Monster stuffed toy. It's way too cute.

Second, I don't get why this was even an issue. If they are so outraged about that topic, then send your kid to private, religious schools. And if there aren't any, band together and create one.

TongueNGroove
01-22-2009, 06:37 PM
I beleive that a gene mutated and formed a perfect eyeball that could see and interpret light.

I also beleive that a gene mutated and an ear formed on the side of my head and my brain could interpret all the sounds and make sense of them.

Welll.... maybe not

I do beleive in evolution to some extent, but how does an eyeball form?

If you follow the rules of evolution you know that if something forms from a genetic mutation it is either good or bad. If it is bad, then it doesn't get passed on.

Now let's say an animal had a mutation and all of a sudden something resembling the form of an eye appeared (Highly unlikely from one mutation), there is no way it was perfectly formed and was working as intended in that first mutation. So why was it passed on? How did it further develope?

Something as complex as an eyeball cannot be from a single mutation or even many mutations, it would take eons of creatures having sex with creatures of the same species with something wierd hanging off the front of their heads, which we know from observation that doesn't happen.

And even if it did happen that way, doesn't that mean that there was something allowing it to happen? Forcing it to happen? Genes do mutate, and wierd things happen, but functions that complex do not just happen. First you have to have something wierd on your head which would rule you out from mating in the first place, then that wierd thing has to know what it is doing. It obviously has some goal that it keeps working at generation after generation. How doe Genes have goals? How the fuck does a gene even know what it is doing?

Here is a perfect example... Leafy sea dragons... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Leafy+sea+dragons&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=

How the freek would a gene even know what a leaf looks like? Secondly, how would it know how to make this animal look like a leaf?

That is NOT some wierd gene that mutated my friends. And that is but one example.

Here's another. The maple tree and it's helicopter seeds. http://media-files.gather.com/images/d55/d716/d744/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg How would a gene even know about aerodynamics? How could a gene mutate and understand aerodynamics? Can a gene say ok, we are on the right track with this flying seed thing, let's perfect this...I think not.

That said, I know there are mutations and things happen, but not to that extent.

TongueNGroove
01-22-2009, 06:42 PM
BTW, there is such a thing as "culture". American culture is based on the Christian Bible. There is nothing wrong with teaching Christianity in schools.

FORD
01-22-2009, 07:46 PM
BTW, there is such a thing as "culture". American culture is based on the Christian Bible. There is nothing wrong with teaching Christianity in schools.

If you want your kids taught a specific right wing "Christian" doctrine, send them to a right wing "Christian" indoctrination school.

If public schools teach anything at all regarding religion, they should teach the basics of ALL religions, and reading of the religious scriptures as textbooks. This would at least eliminate the fucking ridiculous cultural ignorance that allows people like the BCE to present such distorted definitions of Islam AND Christianity.

Now as for "American culture" being based on the "Christian bible", I beg to differ.......

http://www.abramscreek.com/images2/lodge_Picture%20083.jpg

....now there's a good fire. Bet there's a lot of rocks under that. Looks like a good sweat. It's been a while... I'm out of practice.

Seshmeister
01-22-2009, 08:15 PM
I beleive that a gene mutated and formed a perfect eyeball that could see and interpret light.

I also beleive that a gene mutated and an ear formed on the side of my head and my brain could interpret all the sounds and make sense of them.

Welll.... maybe not

I do beleive in evolution to some extent, but how does an eyeball form?

If you follow the rules of evolution you know that if something forms from a genetic mutation it is either good or bad. If it is bad, then it doesn't get passed on.

Now let's say an animal had a mutation and all of a sudden something resembling the form of an eye appeared (Highly unlikely from one mutation), there is no way it was perfectly formed and was working as intended in that first mutation. So why was it passed on? How did it further develope?

It's very important you watch this.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sezfMGjRQEg&feature=related

Then go back and watch the other ones.

Science isn't just some thing where you just after a moments thought say 'I believe this' or 'I believe that'.

You are confusing superstitions and religious dogma with evolution. You don't need to make a leap of faith or say 'I believe' - that is the great thing about getting yourself educated. Instead you can know and that's cool.

Cheers

:gulp:

GAR
01-22-2009, 08:31 PM
If public schools teach anything at all regarding religion, they should teach the basics of ALL religions

They still do this, it's called "social studies."

Branched evolution theory still needs to prove common DNA markers between species, so evolution is not fact.

If we evolved from primates and not created concurrently, I'm surprised we didn't eat them all by now.

GAR
01-22-2009, 08:38 PM

I saw this schtick 30 years ago when Carl Sagan first hit pop culture with that "Cosmos" series.

He's even got that floppy Carl Sagan hairbangs thing going on. I wonder if he's heard of Carl.. I'm sure you have.

Seshmeister
01-22-2009, 09:11 PM

Branched evolution theory still needs to prove common DNA markers between species, so evolution is not fact.

If we evolved from primates and not created concurrently, I'm surprised we didn't eat them all by now.

WTF?

Get off your seat in the library and go and read some books.

Cheers

LoungeMachine
01-22-2009, 09:13 PM
LMAO

I just told him the same fucking thing in another thread.

Books, books, everwhere but not a mind to think

FORD
01-22-2009, 09:43 PM

I don't know what fucking textbook you had for "social studies" but other than the whitewashed versions of the Pilgrims and the Puritans stories, there wasn't any references to religion in mine. And needless to say the religious beliefs of the natives who kept their asses from starving were never discussed at all.

And I had some blatant evangelicals for teachers. In a public school. One of them even worked John the Revelator into a math story problem. He later became the county Repuke party chair. But he didn't directly teach religion, thank God!

We just had a Chimp in the White House for 8 years, didn't we?

GAR
01-23-2009, 12:16 AM
I don't know what fucking textbook you had for "social studies" but other than the whitewashed versions of the Pilgrims and the Puritans stories, there wasn't any references to religion in mine
Children in your state grow up with only the hope of lumberjacking, that's why you had 4 hours of recess everyday and had the same social studies book for 6 years.

What do you know of his DNA?

FORD
01-23-2009, 12:28 AM
Children in your state grow up with only the hope of lumberjacking

Beats the Hell out of Jizzy-jacking. :splooge:

Seshmeister
01-23-2009, 01:05 AM
And I had some blatant evangelicals for teachers. In a public school. One of them even worked John the Revelator into a math story problem.

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

Wow there is so much scope for this... :)

1) A man has 3 slaves. On Monday he beats one at 8am, one at 10am and one at 1pm. The first slave dies the next day at 6am the second at 11am and the third on Wednesday at 1am.

How many killings does the bible say were wrong?

jhale667
01-23-2009, 02:33 AM
Yeah, gotta wonder about any organized religion or institution that endorses slavery...

binnie
01-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Follow the link in Nick's post and look at the graph - hilarious!

Nickdfresh
01-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Children in your state grow up with only the hope of lumberjacking, that's why you had 4 hours of recess everyday and had the same social studies book for 6 years.

What do you know of his DNA?

Weren't you the one crying about Mexicans "stealing your job" potentially? I'm pretty sure you aren't all that educated, Ms.-fucking-darkie-tea-kettle....

I have nothing against "hammer-swingers" because I have been one on occasion. But spare me, you lettuce-picker...

Ally_Kat
01-23-2009, 06:18 PM

Um...actually, we don't teach religions in Social Studies. We're told to steer clear of religions because we may insult someone.

Angel
01-23-2009, 07:59 PM

Okay Ford, I'm sick of telling you this, so I'm going to have to yell! PLEASE STOP INSULTING CHIMPANZEE'S - THEY ARE MUCH SMARTER THAN GWB!!! ;)

LoungeMachine
01-23-2009, 08:03 PM
and tend to throw less feces around.......

FORD
01-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Okay Ford, I'm sick of telling you this, so I'm going to have to yell! PLEASE STOP INSULTING CHIMPANZEE'S - THEY ARE MUCH SMARTER THAN GWB!!! ;)

As long as you're checking in.....

Was there a huge sigh of relief up north when Chi.... er, that Simian dumbass got on that helicopter and headed back to Dirty Gulch, Texas?

Oh, and have you guys gotten rid of Stevie Wonderbread yet?

LoungeMachine
01-23-2009, 08:51 PM
It's Canada

Who cares?

Seshmeister
01-23-2009, 09:26 PM
I thought you were about to move there a couple of months back...? :)

LoungeMachine
01-23-2009, 09:29 PM
I thought you were about to move there a couple of months back...? :)

Would still like to.

Certainly doesn't mean I'm not above mocking and ridiculing their lack of importance and/or relativity

It's actually one of their charms.

TongueNGroove
01-24-2009, 12:38 AM

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sezfMGjRQEg&feature=related

Then go back and watch the other ones.

Science isn't just some thing where you just after a moments thought say 'I believe this' or 'I believe that'.

You are confusing superstitions and religious dogma with evolution. You don't need to make a leap of faith or say 'I believe' - that is the great thing about getting yourself educated. Instead you can know and that's cool.

Cheers

I watched it.....and? Where did this layer of light seeing cells come from? How were they hooked to the brain and how did the brain know what to do with it? That happened in a single mutation? He acts as if it just happened and it was there all working.

He then goes on to say, "Then the process of evolution made a cup". Ok, so not only do you have one astonishing mutation, now you have another mutation that made a cup that happened to work with this pre-existing set of cells that just appeared. Then you had this then you had that....

Isn't that an awful lot of random mutations that just happened to all work together? It is as if they were all working toward a goal to make something. Like it was planned.

Do you not understand that gene mutations do not have goals? They do not keep working on something. You need an intelligence for that kind of thing.

It seems like a really feeble attempt to try to make sense out of something that makes no sense whatsoever.

LoungeMachine
01-24-2009, 12:54 AM
It seems like a really feeble attempt to try to make sense out of something that makes no sense whatsoever.

Now you understand how we feel when reading your posts.

TongueNGroove
01-24-2009, 02:14 AM
Now you understand how we feel when reading your posts.

Nice come back. I am impressed with your mental prowess. You have totally convinced me.:stupid:[

Seshmeister
01-24-2009, 08:28 AM
I watched it.....and? Where did this layer of light seeing cells come from? How were they hooked to the brain and how did the brain know what to do with it? That happened in a single mutation? He acts as if it just happened and it was there all working.

He then goes on to say, "Then the process of evolution made a cup". Ok, so not only do you have one astonishing mutation, now you have another mutation that made a cup that happened to work with this pre-existing set of cells that just appeared. Then you had this then you had that....

Isn't that an awful lot of random mutations that just happened to all work together? It is as if they were all working toward a goal to make something. Like it was planned.

Do you not understand that gene mutations do not have goals? They do not keep working on something. You need an intelligence for that kind of thing.

I deliberately choose a video aimed at 12 year old kids in the UK which kind of makes the point of the original post...

Go back and watch the whole series it's all there on YouTube.

I think your two main problems are that you are having trouble understanding are thinking that there is motivation and with the amount of time involved. It's a crazy amount of time.

You're not getting the number of mutations here. Look at the huge variety of domestic dogs and that's just a couple of hundred years of breeding.

We're not talking about a change from someone to their great grandparents.

Outstretch your arms out by your sides. Imagine the length of your arms from your left middle finger to your right represents the length of time there has been life on Earth. Now take a light nail file and drag it gently across the nail of your middle finger once. Proportionally you have just removed the whole history of humans.

There have been 7500 generations of homo sapiens and 125 000 of the human genus. Imagine holding hands with your dad and him holding hands with his and the line being 20 miles long.

And that's just the line from an apelike humanoids to humans. The lines where eyes are developed are many many times longer.

You talk about 'knowing' or 'intelligence'. Why?

Evolution just means that the animals that are doing best breed more often and pass their traits on. It's actually very very simple.

TongueNGroove
01-24-2009, 02:58 PM
You're not getting the number of mutations here. Look at the huge variety of domestic dogs and that's just a couple of hundred years of breeding.

Breeding and gene mutation/evolution are 2 different things. You can breed dogs for millions of years and you will never get a Bird, they will still always be dogs.

As far as the rest of your post, I am well aware how long the earth has been around.

Nickdfresh
01-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Breeding and gene mutation/evolution are 2 different things. You can breed dogs for millions of years and you will never get a Bird, they will still always be dogs.

As far as the rest of your post, I am well aware how long the earth has been around.

Of course - since birds evolved from dinosaurs and dogs are bred from wolves...

TongueNGroove
01-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Of course - since birds evolved from dinosaurs and dogs are bred from wolves...

Bird was metaphorical.....insert whatever animal you wish.

And incase you didn't notice, wolves are dogs.

Seshmeister
01-24-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't have the time for this.

TongueNGroove
01-24-2009, 11:19 PM
I don't have the time for this.

You don't have the mental capacity for this.

thome
01-25-2009, 05:57 AM
thomeism is the hope -only- of the future.

I am

yea unto this speaketh ye not of

cast upon

eventually all will agree and will be set free

I ROOL U

All who dissagree will be given red shirts and beamed down to the planets surface.

Nickdfresh
01-25-2009, 09:37 AM

LOL You're the one that believes in creationism.

TongueNGroove
01-26-2009, 03:19 PM
LOL You're the one that believes in creationism.

And you're the one that believes we came from amoeba.... BTW, where did the amoeba come from?

Darwinism is just as much a religeon as anything else.

Seshmeister
01-26-2009, 03:33 PM

No I don't have the patience to try and teach you what is obvious to anyone apart those crippled by extreme superstition.

LoungeMachine
01-26-2009, 03:39 PM
The great cloud man frowns upon thee, Sesh.

Repent!

TongueNGroove
01-26-2009, 03:42 PM
No I don't have the patience to try and teach you what is obvious to anyone apart those crippled by extreme superstition.

Well, you did your best...I guess that's all you can do.

Nickdfresh
01-26-2009, 05:34 PM
And you're the one that believes we came from amoeba.... BTW, where did the amoeba come from?

LMFAO!! Actually, I seriously wonder if the creationist groups are secretly funded by the Chinese, South Koreans, and Japanese so we can revert back to the inbred belief systems of the Africans....

LoungeMachine
01-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Well, you did your best...I guess that's all you can do.

We have enough youth. How about a fountain of "Smart"?

-If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier. .

religeon????

I love how the supposed "smart ones" in here usually turn out to be the dumbest.

:lol:

TongueNGroove
01-26-2009, 05:55 PM
religeon????

I love how the supposed "smart ones" in here usually turn out to be the dumbest.

You read right... Darwinism is nothing more than faith based on scientific proaganda.

Is there eveidence to beleive in evolution, sure.... I beleive that things change over time, there is no doubt about that. But there are a lot of things I have issue with. To fully beleive in Darwinism you need faith, just as much as you need faith that there was a creator.

No one knows how life began, and there is no real proof that we evolved from a single cell life form. You just choose to believe in it.

I guess we can leave it at that.

LoungeMachine
01-26-2009, 05:57 PM
You read right... Darwinism is nothing more than faith based on scientific proaganda.

But is it a "religeon" ?

TongueNGroove
01-26-2009, 06:36 PM
But is it a "religeon" ?

Do you mean they get a tax break, no, do you mean it is a "Belief" held and spread by many people, yes.

Angel
01-26-2009, 06:42 PM
but is it a "religeon" ?

do you mean they get a tax break, no, do you mean it is a "belief" held and spread by many people, yes.

lmfao!!!

Seshmeister
01-26-2009, 07:20 PM
BTW, where did the amoeba come from?

And who bought it a computer...?

Redballjets88
01-26-2009, 07:53 PM
The evidence for Evolution is overwhelming, but there are also many valid counterpoints.

Go rent Ben Steins Expelled, it does a good job at explaining why darwinism is so widely taught and why scientists/educators can't stand the intelligent design theories.

Evolution by itself is a great explanation to why we and other species are how we are in the present. The one hole in the theory, though, is how living beings began. Popular theory as of now goes...

Big Bang
???
Single cell organism
Evolution

The question mark is really how the hell life sprung out of nowhere.

some theories say crystals mutated atoms, some say aliens....this is the point where I feel intelligent design has a point. The odds of aliens or crystals being the spawning point of life are about as likely as a God putting life on Earth.

FORD
01-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Ben Stein is a long time propagandist for right wing conservatism. Hardly an unbiased source, Bueller.

Seshmeister
01-26-2009, 08:54 PM
An anti science nut ex Nixon speechwriter who blames scientists for the holocaust???

LoungeMachine
01-26-2009, 08:55 PM
lmfao!!!

He still doesn't get it. :D

Seshmeister
01-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Evolution by itself is a great explanation to why we and other species are how we are in the present. The one hole in the theory, though, is how living beings began. Popular theory as of now goes...

It's not a hole in the theory, the theory just does not address it which is a different thing.

Redballjets88
01-26-2009, 09:12 PM
It's not a hole in the theory, the theory just does not address it which is a different thing.

Darwin's book is entitled "The Origin of Species", implying that it is the answer of where everything originated from.

And Ford, have you watched it? He does a good job of letting both sides of the argument put in their 2 cents.

I have a friend who is majoring in Evolutionary Biology who watched it and thought it was a good documentary, and he is an Atheist.

Ally_Kat
01-26-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't get why the conversation always ends up trying to disprove the theory. Science is investigating many topics on many different aspects. Even if you want to teach your kids to hold another theory true, you should at least educate them so that they themselves can participate in such discussions when they are older.

A lot of religious parents do that -- they shelter their children from things, become afraid to tackle the big questions, and start fearing that outside forces will take away their kids' faith. When, in reality, not educating about all the different schools of thoughts or letting them explore things beyond what is in the Old Testament account is what leads to a lot of stupefied college students who close up and become ignorant of the world or who grow bitter and reject everything their parents had to tell them.

I mean, I learned all about the Big Bang, evolution, this history of the Earth, and all that fun stuff in a Catholic elementary school. And we all can say a lot about the Catholic Church and her history with science, but they currently teach it in their elementary schools. I don't get why Protestants thump their Bibles over this so hard. You gotta educate your children so they at least can follow the conversation or be able to research more into it themselves.

Redballjets88
01-26-2009, 09:16 PM
An anti science nut ex Nixon speechwriter who blames scientists for the holocaust???

In the movie he doesn't put the whole blame for the holocaust on darwinism, but does give credit where credit is due. Especially when it comes to the propaganda used by the Nazi's in regard to Darwinism. Especially when it comes to the Aryan race being superior to all people, and the countless atrocities against the mentally handicapped.

Redballjets88
01-26-2009, 09:18 PM
I don't get why the conversation always ends up trying to disprove the theory. Science is investigating many topics on many different aspects. Even if you want to teach your kids to hold another theory true, you should at least educate them so that they themselves can participate in such discussions when they are older.

A lot of religious parents do that -- they shelter their children from things, become afraid to tackle the big questions, and start fearing that outside forces will take away their kids' faith. When, in reality, not educating about all the different schools of thoughts or letting them explore things beyond what is in the Old Testament account is what leads to a lot of stupefied college students who close up and become ignorant of the world or who grow bitter and reject everything their parents had to tell them.

I mean, I learned all about the Big Bang, evolution, this history of the Earth, and all that fun stuff in a Catholic elementary school. And we all can say a lot about the Catholic Church and her history with science, but they currently teach it in their elementary schools. I don't get why Protestants thump their Bibles over this so hard. You gotta educate your children so they at least can follow the conversation or be able to research more into it themselves.

Agreed, even Pope John Paul II said he had no problem keeping his faith and accepting the teaching of evolution.

FORD
01-26-2009, 09:25 PM
In the movie he doesn't put the whole blame for the holocaust on darwinism, but does give credit where credit is due. Especially when it comes to the propaganda used by the Nazi's in regard to Darwinism. Especially when it comes to the Aryan race being superior to all people, and the countless atrocities against the mentally handicapped.

Sounds like that Eugenics stuff that Poppy Bush was a big fan of. But you were OK with that the other day. ;)

Redballjets88
01-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Sounds like that Eugenics stuff that Poppy Bush was a big fan of. But you were OK with that the other day. ;)

Actually my post from the other day said the same I'll say now....

I don't like Eugenics, it breeds hate, what would be nice though is if dumbasses stopped breeding with one another, not race specific, just dumbasses. Because when idiots have kids odds are the kids will be idiots.

And when I say dumbasses and idiots i refer to the people out there that have a kid daddy runs away, or have a kid and abuse the child, etc. They need to stop.

Seshmeister
01-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Big Bang
???
Single cell organism
Evolution

The question mark is really how the hell life sprung out of nowhere.

some theories say crystals mutated atoms, some say aliens....this is the point where I feel intelligent design has a point. The odds of aliens or crystals being the spawning point of life are about as likely as a God putting life on Earth.

Simple amino acids and proteins being transported to the Earth via the hundreds of thousands of asteroids and comet collisions is a fuck of a lot more likely than some giant invisible cloud man popping along and putting them there. Assuming of course that another giant invisible cloud man created that invisible cloud man and so on.

There are also been lots of work by chemists which seems to show that you can get the building blocks for life just by copying the conditions of early Earth with constant electric storms and so on.

http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/8975.html

Cheers

FORD
01-26-2009, 09:30 PM

For the record, this Liberal ass Protestant has always looked at it like this....

I believe God created the earth, and everything organic that's on it. The exact timetable and details that He used to do so are irrelevant. I don't view the whole "Adam & Eve" thing as literal history, but as one of many Creation stories, any or all of which might have more value as literature than as "fact".

FORD
01-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Actually my post from the other day said the same I'll say now....

I don't like Eugenics, it breeds hate, what would be nice though is if dumbasses stopped breeding with one another, not race specific, just dumbasses. Because when idiots have kids odds are the kids will be idiots.

http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/V/6/2/jenna-bush-satan.jpg
Good point. Oh, and HAIL SATAN!! :rockit2:

Seshmeister
01-26-2009, 09:37 PM
I don't get why the conversation always ends up trying to disprove the theory.

It's incredible.

The arguments used as well are the same ones that were lost 150 years ago.

They also don't look at the huge amount of extra and completely conclusive evidence that has come from genetics.

Fortunately this creationism nonsense is mainly confined to the US and some primitive tribes people in the 3rd world.

Redballjets88
01-26-2009, 09:50 PM
http://z.about.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/V/6/2/jenna-bush-satan.jpg
Good point. Oh, and HAIL SATAN!! :rockit2:

Actually its her doing the Hook 'EM sign, for the University of Texas.

Just sayin..not being argumentative.

Hook 'Em

Redballjets88
01-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Simple amino acids and proteins being transported to the Earth via the hundreds of thousands of asteroids and comet collisions is a fuck of a lot more likely than some giant invisible cloud man popping along and putting them there. Assuming of course that another giant invisible cloud man created that invisible cloud man and so on.

There are also been lots of work by chemists which seems to show that you can get the building blocks for life just by copying the conditions of early Earth with constant electric storms and so on.

http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/8975.html

Cheers

The odd of any of the conditions happening, however long ago the first organism was produced, on Earth are astronomical no matter what, there are a ton of theories, none widely accepted, but they are working on it.

IMO the people who don't believe in evolution are dicks just because who are they to say God didn't do it this way? God does whatever he wants.

Ally_Kat
01-26-2009, 10:05 PM
For the record, this Liberal ass Protestant has always looked at it like this....

I believe God created the earth, and everything organic that's on it. The exact timetable and details that He used to do so are irrelevant. I don't view the whole "Adam & Eve" thing as literal history, but as one of many Creation stories, any or all of which might have more value as literature than as "fact".

See, I always viewed it that time was a measurement for man created by man. There wasn't anyone around witness this or to take out the stopwatch. Plus, another beings concept of time could/would be different than ours. A day could have been a few million years.

Plus, if you read the first creation story in Genesis, the jist is sounds very familiar to what we know now: nothingness planet that was forming, possibly molten materials being "waters" in the wind, birth of the sun, formation of an atmosphere/ozone, water pooling, followed by vegetation, life starting as organisms in the water, smaller mammals entering the scene, finishing off with humans . Which, hey, isn't bad for a bunch of nomadic tribes starting their own religion when you think of a lot of all the other creation stories out there.*

*I'm approaching this "not bad" comment outside the realm of religion/God. Despite accepting a higher power, I'm not using this as proof that my way is better than any other way or that it disproves science. I just think it's pretty cool that people in that time period could come so close to what we're studying in science.

Seshmeister
01-26-2009, 10:15 PM
IMO the people who don't believe in evolution are dicks just because who are they to say God didn't do it this way? God does whatever he wants.

Also by implication the creationists are saying that this God character is a some sort of cosmic practical joker who spent most of his creation time planting false evidence whilst giggling to himself up his god sleeve.

It's also a huge irony to me that a lot of the creationists come from areas of the US or the Middle East whose whole wealth and way of life is built on the science of geology finding them oil. The exact same branch of science that disproves everything they make up in their myths and stories...

Ally_Kat
01-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Also by implication the creationists are saying that this God character is a some sort of cosmic practical joker who spent most of his creation time planting false evidence whilst giggling to himself up his god sleeve.

Oh man, I HATE christians like that. They usually are the same ones who claim you're not saved, even if you are a fellow christian, because you're not a member of their church.

Southern Baptists, I'm looking at you.

Seshmeister
01-26-2009, 10:22 PM
The odd of any of the conditions happening, however long ago the first organism was produced, on Earth are astronomical no matter what, there are a ton of theories, none widely accepted, but they are working on it.

Gods and demons and wizards live in the areas where we don't have empirical science.

These are getting narrower and narrower.

When the bronze age goatherders were sharing their myths of Adam and Eve around camp fires god was everywhere as an explanation for all the shit they never knew.

Now God turns up with a bucket of aminoacids 4 billion years ago and then fucked off... :)

FORD
01-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Oh man, I HATE christians like that. They usually are the same ones who claim you're not saved, even if you are a fellow christian, because you're not a member of their church.

Southern Baptists, I'm looking at you.

It ain't just the Southern Baptists, believe me :(

signed,
Recovering Baptist

Seshmeister
01-26-2009, 10:38 PM

The chances against you existing are astronomical.

Your dad met your mother and happened to impregnate her with that particular batch of sperm. The sperm that made you was one of 300 million he fired into her just in that one fuck.

Then you have to start the multiplications. You're grandparents had to meet and fuck at that particular time to create your parents and further and further back. By the time you get back to the time Darwin was writing you are the result of 100s of people fucking just following your grandparents line. Take it back to Roman times and it's billions. Billions of combinations of millions of sperm.

Ally_Kat
01-26-2009, 11:01 PM
It ain't just the Southern Baptists, believe me :(

signed,
Recovering Baptist

They're usually the worst, but I have my experience with elsewhere, also.

My guy is Freewill Baptist and the pastor from his family's church likes to talk smack about the Catholics whenever I'm not around.

We attend on family trips to be civil and because the potlucks are awesome.

LoungeMachine
01-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Take it back to Roman times and it's billions. Billions of combinations of millions of sperm.

All to end up here on this board whining about not getting his Social Security....

LoungeMachine
01-26-2009, 11:04 PM
Organized Religions = Follow my way, the only way, think and believe like me, or go straight to hell, do not pass go, do not collect $200

Fellow Parishoner? = Welcome to everlasting paradise, how do you take your virgins?

FORD
01-26-2009, 11:04 PM

Your dad met your mother and happened to impregnate her with that particular batch of sperm. The sperm that made you was one of 300 million he fired into her just in that one fuck.

Then you have to start the multiplications. You're grandparents had to meet and fuck at that particular time to create your parents and further and further back. By the time you get back to the time Darwin was writing you are the result of 100s of people fucking just following your grandparents line. Take it back to Roman times and it's billions. Billions of combinations of millions of sperm.

Is this a good time for a sing along?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U0kJHQpvgB8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U0kJHQpvgB8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Redballjets88
01-27-2009, 01:47 AM

Look I didn't say anything against evolution I believe it. I just said out of all of the theories out there I think that God can be one of them.

Believe me I have discussed this subject many a time with my friends who know a lot more about it than anyone on the boards.

Why the hostility? I'm not the one saying it didn't happen. Nor am I a crazy whack job christian.

In actuality I am with FORD and Ally on this subject.

Seshmeister
01-27-2009, 04:47 AM
My post wasn't meant to be hostile... :)

Angel
01-28-2009, 09:29 PM
As long as you're checking in.....

Was there a huge sigh of relief up north when Chi.... er, that Simian dumbass got on that helicopter and headed back to Dirty Gulch, Texas?

Oh, and have you guys gotten rid of Stevie Wonderbread yet?

There were cheers and tears (tears of happiness, that is)

We still have Stevie around... of course, he'll change his tune now because he thinks his job is to kiss US President's asses...

Nice to see that Obama's first international visit will be here... he's already smarter than Bush!