X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Ashcroft
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

Media Sitting on Saddam's Torture Videos

The U.S. backed Arab-language news network Al Hurra broadcast video on Wednesday depicting grisly acts of torture on Iraqi citizens ordered by Saddam Hussein. But so far at least, the shocking new video remains embargoed by U.S. media outlets.

The Washington Post admitted on Friday that it was in possession of some of the gruesome torture images - but did not publish them in a report on the video buried on Page A21. Instead, Post editors decided to front-page stale images of U.S. abuse of suspected terrorists held at Baghdad's Abu Ghraib prison.

"The [Hussein torture] video reached news outlets," the paper explained, "as senior spokesmen for the Bush administration began to express frustration that the treatment of Iraqi prisoners by U.S. troops had overshadowed well-documented human rights horrors of the Hussein era."

In video yet to be broadcast by any U.S. outlet, Hussein torture victims are shown being flogged and having fingers chopped off. One detainee is filmed as he is thrown from a roof, another beheaded by a sword-weilding member of Saddam's elite Fedayeen unit.

According to the Post, video of the beheading shows a man placing the severed head on the victim's prone body. Another scene shows a man's tongue being cut out.

As NewsMax.com reported on Sunday, other gruesome images from the embargoed video include scenes of Kurdish detainees being castrated and babies being gassed to death.

During the beheading, the executioner reportedly sings "Happy Birthday, Saddam."

Al Hurra news director Mouafac Harb told the Post that he obtained the new torture video on Monday and deemed the images both authentic and newsworthy.

"I was approached with a tape, which I had not seen before," he explained. "I had not seen on the popular Arabic satellite channels any program like this."

Link: here
  • knuckleboner
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

mr. AG, what's the point of broadcasting saddam torture videos? that's old news. happend AT LEAST a year ago. and we all know this.

honestly, showing those videos in the U.S. would be more spin then anything else. it would be saying, "see, saddam was a bad guy. so don't worry about why we said we should go to war (which inititally was not to stop a murderous dictator). the fact is he was bad; we're better off without him, and the ends justify the means."

but it's not "newsworthy," at least not in a timely fashion.

for better or worse, the iraqi prisoner "torture" pictures are much more timely, and quite frankly SHOULD be a bigger media issue.

Comment

• tobinentinc
      Head Fluffer
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner
      for better or worse, the iraqi prisoner "torture" pictures are much more timely, and quite frankly SHOULD be a bigger media issue.
      What also should be an issue is the Iraqi tortue against US soldiers. But the media will never ever even mention that, or mention how Nick Berg was beheaded more than once. Not a chance. So I think that should be an issue too.
      http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...hics/sines.gif http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...m/kissarmy.jpg http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...ve/vhlogo1.gif

Comment

• Jesus Christ
        Veteran
        • Jan 2004

Beheaded more than once, My son?

How would ye suggest that was done? For My cousin John the Baptist was beheaded and verily was his head delivered unto Herod on a silver platter. Even I, the Son of Man could not have reattached it to his body

Comment

• rustoffa
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jesus Christ
          Beheaded more than once, My son?

How would ye suggest that was done? For My cousin John the Baptist was beheaded and verily was his head delivered unto Herod on a silver platter. Even I, the Son of Man could not have reattached it to his body
          He's kidding y'all. The Son of God could do anything he wanted. BTW, can you give a brother a hand on a raccoon problem?

Comment

• Jesus Christ
            Veteran
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by rustoffa
            He's kidding y'all. The Son of God could do anything he wanted. BTW, can you give a brother a hand on a raccoon problem?
            Do ye have a dog? For if the dog's scent does not repel the raccoons, then his barking should. Even better if ye can kennel the dog outside at night so that he may be on guard against the raccoons. Of course, as the Prince of Peace, I could not suggest that ye use any methods of poison or violence against them, as they are Our creations as well.

Comment

• Dr. Love
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Who in their right mind WANTS to watch video of people being tortured?
              I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Jesus Christ
                Veteran
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Love
                Who in their right mind WANTS to watch video of people being tortured?
                Verily, My son.

As One who already seeth everything, there are times I wisheth I could change the channel

Comment

• knuckleboner
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by tobinentinc
                  What also should be an issue is the Iraqi tortue against US soldiers. But the media will never ever even mention that, or mention how Nick Berg was beheaded more than once. Not a chance. So I think that should be an issue too.
                  dude...i'm not sure what you're talking about. the media HAS mentioned the nick berg thing quite a bit.

Comment

Working...