PDA

View Full Version : I Found it on the CL !!! - Thread

LoungeMachine
01-26-2009, 05:30 PM
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/1008789391.html

Not sure which is funnier...

The "It's worth it's weight in gold" headline...

or the fact it is signed by EDDY Van Halen :lol:

GAR
01-26-2009, 10:53 PM
That looks like a Baretta 2 body with the wrong neck on it.

Diamondjimi
01-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Firewood with an imaginary autograph...pfft....

Pass me the gasoline!

GAR
01-27-2009, 12:55 PM
That body's no firewood, it's actually one of the better bodies Kramer had.

I took mine and took a strat template to it, cutting off the extra bit off the horns, then with a rattail rasp filed the cutaways a little rounder. So I know from the bare wood exposed it's solid basswood, with a true lacquer finish.

indeedido
01-27-2009, 05:00 PM
worth its weight in gold eh at only $350?

GAR
01-27-2009, 08:20 PM
YES

Do I misread the ad, or does the guy say the only thing missing is the middle pickup?

And it comes with a hardshell Kramer case.

ELVIS
01-27-2009, 09:47 PM
It might actually be a good deal with Ed's sig...

The guitar in the pic is not the actual guitar...

:elvis:

LoungeMachine
01-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Signed by EDDY ?

:lol:

Eddy Von Hallen no doubt....

ELVIS
01-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Yeah well, maybe the guy posting the ad doesn't really know much about Van Halen and I have seen Ed's autograph that can look like "Eddy," so...

ELVIS
01-27-2009, 10:36 PM
http://www.starwarsautographcollecting.com/Resources/MusicSignatures/EddieVanHalen.jpg

jhale667
01-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Solid (B)asswood...almost an oxymoron. :rolleyes:

:guitar:

GAR
01-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Basswood isnt bad, it's like alder but not as thunky as ash.

It's a great deal for $350

jhale667
01-27-2009, 11:47 PM
I've never been impressed with it; it's light in weight, soft in structure (dings easily, unlike a solid piece of say, Maple or Ash), and I've had friends rip Floyd studs out of it doing an everyday pull-up with the bar...not a fan. I know EVH swears by it these days, and so does Steve Vai.

Northern Ash can be a little on the thunky side (in a good way, I think), but Swamp Ash is killer...

As for the listing...I'd want to see a picture of the real thing...gotta love the "brother died in 03" if it was indeed added for the extra grief-guilt factor...:rolleyes:

ELVIS
01-28-2009, 02:57 AM
I sure wouldn't lie about somethinng like that...

BTW, most MIJ Fenders are Basswood except where specified otherwise as being Ash on natural finished models and Alder on some MIJ sunburst finished models, but it gets very confusing...

For instance...

Fender Japan uses Alder and Ash on basses with USA Vintage pickups. The models usually have the suffix "US." For example JB62-US 3TS. That would indicate Jazz Bass 1962 RI, the US means it has USA pickups. And it SHOULD have an alder or ash body. Those with Japanese pickups has basswood and the model name has no US suffix...

For more more information, ask someone who gives more of a shit because tone is tone...Some basswood has it, some alder has it, as well as ash. Some wood sounds like shit regardless of it being ash, alder or basswood...

Also, some people seem to indicate Japanese Basswood is different in that it sounds and looks a lot like good alder...

Hmmm...

ELVIS
01-28-2009, 03:09 AM
AND it is true that cheap basswood dings very easily as on something like a Squire made in indonesia...It's also very noticeably light in weight...

But high quality basswood is difficult to distinguish from alder...

Alder

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3833/alder01aw5.jpg

Basswood

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5015/basswood01pd6.jpg

GAR
01-28-2009, 01:46 PM
What's often represented indifferently as "alder" AND "basswood" from Asia is.. asian soft maple.

Basswood is indeed all those things Jay you say it is, which is why I prefer alder and other woods. However, a Kramer is what it is, you can't change it.

I don't admit it often but I have 3 or 4 Kramers, but assembled from parts including the 5150 from 1985 and they are functional, but not preferrable to others I play more often.

GAR
01-28-2009, 01:49 PM
fwiw my favorite Kramer is the orange flowercaster built from a Focus 3000 body I bought off ebay for $3 bucks plus 11 shipping that was hacked with a hachette loaded with stickers.. I bondoed that, opened up the cutaways with a rasp, filled the 3 single pu's with bondo, and it's now one of my favorites (modified to single slant hum w/cover, floyd, orig Schecter strathead)

ELVIS
01-28-2009, 06:45 PM
You're the only person I know of who has wasted more time on shit guitars than I have...;)

I need to post my latest creations, which are many...

:cool:

GAR
01-28-2009, 09:34 PM
If I'm fast it's money saved..

ooer that sounds fancy dunnit?

GAR
01-28-2009, 09:41 PM
I know a guy with lots of money guitars, but he can't play em in an original fashion.

IMO its not how much money you got in a guitar, but how well you can play whatever you have.

For example I was 13 and bought a Kay SG what a piece of shit, it looked sweet but played for shit with 1/4" action. I cursed the store after I learned what to look for, and at 14 got an Ibanez LP copy that could be played, but couldnt be amplified due to shit pickups.

Then at 15 built my own tele copy, traced from a Charvel tele body and cut it all out on the school bandsaw.

Best thing I ever played, I think I had $22 into the wood, and $80 in hardware like trem, tuners, fretwire and pickups.

Well, best thing besides a 56 LP Custom w paf's, or a 1980 Korina V reissue, a 1960 white strat original..

LoungeMachine
01-28-2009, 11:10 PM
FTR

This is the ONLY thread I've ever read where I've found myself interested in, and impressed with, GAR's posts.....

:gulp:

jhale667
01-29-2009, 01:42 AM
FTR

This is the ONLY thread I've ever read where I've found myself interested in, and impressed with, GAR's posts.....

Yeah, when he talks about gear it actually occasionally makes sense...:gulp:

Matt White
01-29-2009, 11:23 AM
FTR

GAR knows what he's talkin' 'bout......

yup...very interesting stuff for "gear-heads"......

a shitty guitar can be re-made into a truly KEWL instrument.....just takes time & know-how....

GAR
01-29-2009, 03:41 PM
FTR

This is the ONLY thread I've ever read where I've found myself interested in, and impressed with, GAR's posts....

That's because you've proved yourself a Tier 1 Individual in the discipline of criticisms for things you do not understand.

I can't tell you how best to integrate yourself with others Lounge, with the exception of: just try to be helpful or understanding instead of being a loose cannon.

LoungeMachine
01-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Welp, that solved it.

Thanks, haGAR

I no longer enjoy your posts in my thread.

cured!!!