• Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

U.S. Infrastructure Crumbling

Engineers seek stimulus add-on for crumbling infrastructure
    By Alan Levin, USA TODAY
    WASHINGTON — The USA's infrastructure is crumbling and threatens the nation's economic well-being, according to a new report by a top engineering group.

A lack of investment in roads, bridges, mass transit and aviation means the cost of repair over the next five years has skyrocketed to $2.2 trillion, according to the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). In its last estimate four years ago, the cost was $1.6 trillion.

The ASCE, which has 146,000 members worldwide, is the country's oldest national engineering society.

Overall, the 15 categories graded by the ASCE received an average grade of "D" or poor, the group said in a press release. Aviation, roads and transit were downgraded from the group's last report.

The group rushed release of its report so it can be considered during debate Wednesday on the $825 billion economic stimulus package President Obama is pushing before Congress. The legislation includes $63 billion in infrastructure spending on transportation and environmental projects. ASCE members would oversee some of that work.

"A failing infrastructure cannot support a healthy economy," said Wayne Klotz, president of ASCE and the head of a civil engineering firm in Houston. "Crumbling infrastructure has a direct impact on our personal and economic health, and the nation's infrastructure crisis is endangering our future prosperity."

Not all infrastructure experts agree with ASCE's approach.

University of California-Berkeley economist David Dowall, who teaches city and regional planning, acknowledges that spending on infrastructure has fallen dramatically since the 1950s and '60s.

But he disagrees that simply rebuilding or expanding existing roads or other infrastructure is the best way to improve the economy. Getting people to drive fewer miles or to become more energy-efficient makes more sense than massive construction projects, Dowall said.

Klotz spent Tuesday briefing lawmakers and their staff on Capitol Hill in advance of today's expected vote on the stimulus bill. The group is non-partisan, and has argued for years that the country has neglected its transportation network, sewer systems, public buildings and other infrastructure.

The group estimated that people spend 4.2 billion hours a year stuck in traffic, costing the economy $78.2 billion. Flight delays have surged because of an outdated air-traffic system, it reported.

USAToday
  • Sarge
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Well, I am stationed In Italy and the roads here SUCK!
    1 lane roads for 2 automobiles.

Germany is modern, but sometimes I feel like I am in Mexico with the conditions here.

Breasts,
    ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
    The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
    [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• Pink Spider
      Sniper
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
      [SIZE="3"]
      A lack of investment in roads, bridges, mass transit and aviation means the cost of repair over the next five years has skyrocketed to $2.2 trillion, according to the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). In its last estimate four years ago, the cost was $1.6 trillion.[/b]
      Of course they didn't bother to state on how much building from scratch would cost. Why would they?

ASCE members would oversee some of that work.
      "A failing infrastructure cannot support a healthy economy," said Wayne Klotz, president of ASCE and the head of a civil engineering firm in Houston. "Crumbling infrastructure has a direct impact on our personal and economic health, and the nation's infrastructure crisis is endangering our future prosperity."
      Now, I understand. The bailout money will directly benefit them. So, everything is in sudden chaos. "You will suffer if you don't give us more money!".

Right.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Sarge
        Well, I am stationed In Italy and the roads here SUCK!
        1 lane roads for 2 automobiles.

Germany is modern, but sometimes I feel like I am in Mexico with the conditions here.

Breasts,
        Yeah, but you can hit the Autostrada and fucking FLY !!!
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Pink Spider
          Of course they didn't bother to state on how much building from scratch would cost. Why would they?
          I think at some point, power outrages from an electric grid years out of date and way overtaxed will probably cost us more than gradually replacing things. You know, like collapsing bridges and highways with cracks and potholes?

Now, I understand. The bailout money will directly benefit them. So, everything is in sudden chaos. "You will suffer if you don't give us more money!".

Right.
          I don't even get your point on that...

Comment

• Pink Spider
            Sniper
            • Jan 2004

I think at some point, power outrages from an electric grid years out of date and way overtaxed will probably cost us more than gradually replacing things. You know, like collapsing bridges and highways with cracks and potholes?
            I might be somewhat libertarian, but I do think that infrastructure should be fixed when needed. That is one use of government that I agree with. As long as it's not wasteful. Also, if the infrastructure can be replaced and save enough money to justify the cost, I'm for it.

I don't even get your point on that...
            I meant that they're not an impartial group doing the research. If they're benefiting from government cash, they shouldn't be the ones saying how much it's going to cost. I would give everything a "D" too, if it would get me more government money.

Comment

• Big Train
              Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Engineers seek stimulus add-on for crumbling infrastructure
              By Alan Levin, USA TODAY

Not all infrastructure experts agree with ASCE's approach.

University of California-Berkeley economist David Dowall, who teaches city and regional planning, acknowledges that spending on infrastructure has fallen dramatically since the 1950s and '60s.

But he disagrees that simply rebuilding or expanding existing roads or other infrastructure is the best way to improve the economy. Getting people to drive fewer miles or to become more energy-efficient makes more sense than massive construction projects, Dowall said.

USAToday
              So what the fuck are we spending a trillion on? Oh yea, "keep the unions" busy projects, like fixing up numerous shitty apartment complex setups in North Hollywood.

Retarded planning from an inexperienced leader, funded by the plans of a known tax cheat and loaded up with favors for every known zip code of the Democratic Party...Change indeed.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
                So what the fuck are we spending a trillion on? Oh yea, "keep the unions" busy projects, like fixing up numerous shitty apartment complex setups in North Hollywood.

Retarded planning from an inexperienced leader, funded by the plans of a known tax cheat and loaded up with favors for every known zip code of the Democratic Party...Change indeed.

Oh, thanks guy that lived in the state that started the energy crisis enabled by the Bush admin and his Enron cronies!

SUCKER!

Comment

• Big Train
                  Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

????? is all I can say to that post. Get some coffee champ and come back...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

And what can I say to your blanket "unions suck" mentality?

They're not the ones bringing this country down, Things like exporting our manufacturing to China while spending a good deal of our massive defense budget countering them makes how much fucking sense?

Comment

• kwame k
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Feb 2008

And what can I say to your blanket "unions suck" mentality?

They're not the ones bringing this country down, Things like exporting our manufacturing to China while spending a good deal of our massive defense budget countering them makes how much fucking sense?
                      I believe it makes non-sense, just my 2 cents.
                      Originally posted by vandeleur
                      E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Forgot about ENRON already, huh?
                        Originally posted by Kristy
                        Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                        Originally posted by cadaverdog
                        I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Big Train
                          Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Wow guys, reach.

My personal belief is that the unions do not improve their members lives much and that they profit from the hoarding of key jobs by instituting a fee structure that is unnecessary and serves to just tax that hard working person even further for the right to a job. I won't even get into the historic mafia influence and how that "helped" the union worker as well with violence, extortion and in many cases murder (NY construction comes to mind). All preying on the very same workers they claim to fight for.

That said, this bill is bullshit because it just makes said unions busy for awhile, not for the long term. Fixing up ratholes in North Hollywood does not make for a sustainable career or really a shot in the arm for this economy. It's just busy work because they have no better ideas.

Please tell me how fixing up said ratholes is:

Investing in the "green economy"
                          Creating viable long term well paying jobs in new industries
                          How it stimulates any growth in existing companies beyond the work orders recieved under this bill?
                          How it creates investor confidence in the market which will help resume lending (once private investment is willing to once again buy securities)
                          How it eases up the toxic debt and how it values that debt?

That's right, it does none of those things.

However, it does pay back the democratic base in spades.

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                            Yeah, but you can hit the Autostrada and fucking FLY !!!
                            Is that Italy's answer to the Autobahn?

I would assume that the country that makes Ferraris and Lamborghinis must have decent roads somewhere.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• WACF
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Wow guys, reach.

My personal belief is that the unions do not improve their members lives much and that they profit from the hoarding of key jobs by instituting a fee structure that is unnecessary and serves to just tax that hard working person even further for the right to a job. I won't even get into the historic mafia influence and how that "helped" the union worker as well with violence, extortion and in many cases murder (NY construction comes to mind). All preying on the very same workers they claim to fight for.
                              As someone who has worked in the Mining industry for over 20 years I can say you are wrong.

I live it...

Look at your own countries history with coal...unions saved lives.

Mob references...perhaps....but that is a broad brush stroke you are using there.

That would be like everyone that does not vote Dem a Neo-Con...

Comment

Working...