PDA

View Full Version : VH I released on 180 gram RTI vinyl

Va Beach VH Fan
01-30-2009, 03:17 PM
http://www.vhnd.com/2009/01/27/van-halens-debut-released-on-180-gram-rti-vinyl/

Van Halen’s debut released TODAY on 180 gram RTI vinyl!

Tuesday, 27 January 2009

Van Halen Track Listing

SIDE 1:
Runnin’ With The Devil
Eruption
You Really Got Me
Ain’t Talkin’ ’bout Love
I’m The One

SIDE 2:
Jamie’s Cryin
Atomic Punk
Feel Your Love Tonight
Little Dreamer
Ice Cream Man
On Fire

1/27/09 UPDATE: This item is finally being released today, and is now in-stock at VanHalenStore.com!
(This was originally due for release in 2008, but Warner Bros postponed it’s release until today).

Remastered from the Original Analog Master Tapes by Kevin Grey at Acoustech and Pressed on high quality 180 gram RTI vinyl for the very first time! True Audiophile-Quality!

One of the most explosive and accomplished hard rock albums ever produced, Van Halen’s 1978 self-titled debut altered perceptions of what the guitar could do and it set the template for the sound of rock & roll for the next decade. From the instrumental blow-out of “Eruption” and the gritty pop of “Feel Your Love Tonight,” to the strutting riff of “Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love” and the grandiose reworking of The Kinks’ “You Really Got Me,” Van Halen amply demonstrates the drive, showmanship and musicianship that would turn them into rock revolutionaries!

Mastered from the Original Analog Master Tapes by Kevin Grey at Acoustech Mastering, using Half-Speed Mastering for superior sound
Pressed on high quality 180 gram (180g) weight vinyl for longer life and superior sound
Features all original artwork & packaging
Most experts agree that the richness and depth of the original master tapes is truly captured only on vinyl. This should sound better than both the original vinyl, and the remastered CD. This baby is worth buying a turntable for!

RELEASE DATE: January 27th 2009.
PRICE: $24.95.
Order it at Van Halen Store

From “Guide to Audiophile LPs” (read the entire article at audiophilelps.com)

It’s no exaggeration to say that vinyl has experienced something of a resurgence in the last decade. In a world of musical convenience gained from the introduction of CDs in 1983 and more recently mp3 players, many ask what the appeal of vinyl is and why people are still buying. It would be easy not to understand its appeal if you have never heard how good an LP can sound on a good music system. From the moment you open a record, the size of the artwork, its touch and smell suggest that its something special, beyond the simple convenience of CDs, but nothing comes close to the experience of listening to it. If you are using a good turntable and hi-fi, playing a record can be a wonderful and enjoying experience, arguably being a much closer experience to hearing the music live - with an analog medium sounding less artificial than CDs and compressed digital formats.

The greater care, craftsmanship, presentation and most importantly the sound quality of audiophile LPs mean that you are getting something truly special, that will allow you to get the very best out of your music system, and enjoy music the way it was recorded and supposed to sound. Many people who head audiophile vinyl are surprised by the details and sounds they can hear on their favourite albums that they have never heard before and the entire experience is like buying the album for the first time and enjoying how good it sounded when you first heard it. What’s more surprising though to the majority of converted vinyl enthusiasts is how much better audiophile LPs can sound in comparison to their CD counterparts, making a real case for vinyl as a format and a luxury for any high end music system that deserves only the very best.

Sarge
02-02-2009, 04:36 PM
I will be buying this for sure!

Nickdfresh
02-02-2009, 07:11 PM
When the fuck are they coming out with the 8-track?

Va Beach VH Fan
02-02-2009, 07:16 PM

I've got a Beta tape of Montreal '84, does that count ??

GAR
02-02-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't believe it! UNbelievable.

Do I have to order it from Hausman's site though?

http://www.vanhalenstore.com/page/VH/PROD/new/RC78

78/84 guy
02-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Is Mike still on it ???

Mr Walker
02-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Is Mike still on it ???

LOL!
Yes he is.
I picked this up today and it sounds amazing!
The funny thing is that as I'm listening to it, my brain still hears all the pops and cracks that I used to hear on my old vinyl copy.

ForeverDLR/VH
02-25-2009, 04:39 AM
Ok, Does it sound better than the "Digitally remaster" CD or the Gold Disc?

katie
02-25-2009, 07:54 AM

Don't buy the 8 track, hold out for the remastered wax cylinder.

http://middlestreet.org.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/cylinder.gif

That's where it's at!

ZahZoo
02-25-2009, 09:29 AM
LOL!
Yes he is.
I picked this up today and it sounds amazing!
The funny thing is that as I'm listening to it, my brain still hears all the pops and cracks that I used to hear on my old vinyl copy.

LOL

I get the same thing when I listen to vinyl... I always hear that pop halfway thru the horn sound at the beginning of RRWTD.

Nickdfresh
02-25-2009, 09:34 AM
I know vinyl is the new audiophile thing because every old is new again. But isn't part of the problem with records, aside from the pops, is they dampen the bass?

Is this really much better than the remasters on CD?

Romeo Delight
02-25-2009, 09:45 AM
I can't wait to get this actually.

It's all about the quality of the needle.

I personally prefer the sound on LP, particularly with a needle that costs more than a Blu-ray player

Mr Walker
02-25-2009, 09:53 AM
LOL

I get the same thing when I listen to vinyl... I always hear that pop halfway thru the horn sound at the beginning of RRWTD.

The worst one I had was this real high pitched noise during Alex's drum fill after the intro of 'Dance The Night Away'. It was a strange sound that I think was caused by me rubber-banding a stack of quarters to my tone arm to get rid of a skip that would always occur there... just thinking about it and I can hear it so clearly.

Ok, Does it sound better than the "Digitally remaster" CD or the Gold Disc?

But isn't part of the problem with records, aside from the pops, is they dampen the bass? Is this really much better than the remasters on CD?

I'm not an audiophile so take my opinion for what it is worth...

The remasters sound better than the original CD versions, but the Gold Disc (if you can get yourself a copy of it) is the best way to listen to VH1 on CD.

I can't really compare the vinyl to the CDs... I will say that for me, it's not like the sound of the vinyl stood head and shoulders above the remastered or gold CD and if I tried to argue that it did, I'd just be full of shit. When I listen to CDs, I pretty much just throw them on in the car or I listen to them as they were ripped onto my ipod at 320kbps and they just kinda serve as background noise as I am doing my thing. However, with the vinyl, the whole listening experience is more ritualistic and I am actually sitting and 'listening' to it (also through a much better system than a car stereo or ipod). I will say that in listening to the vinyl the bass really did catch my attention, as well as that good old brown sound and alot of Alex's more subtle cymbal 'taps' really stood out.

Nickdfresh
02-25-2009, 10:12 AM
I've heard people say that album, hence analog, music has a "warmer feel" to it since digital music is sampled. However, remastered CDs are supposedly heads and above than the original ones made in the 1980s as far as compression and amount of info sampled...

Having said that, I can't say I'm much of an audiophile these days since my stereo is in another state...

Mr Walker
02-25-2009, 10:34 AM
However, remastered CDs are supposedly heads and above than the original ones made in the 1980s as far as compression and amount of info sampled...

Having said that, I can't say I'm much of an audiophile these days since my stereo is in another state...

I try to tell people they need to be their own audiophile, if you think a certain version of a CD or album sounds great... then that's the one for you. If you try to keep up with the information that the 'audiophiles' try to sell you, all you do is run around in circles chasing your tail. The funny thing is that right now, audiophiles will argue that for the most part 'remasters' are crap (unless they are done correctly i.e. Zeppelin's remastered boxset from 1990)... basically because as of late most remasters rely on nothing more than a compression boost coupled with some EQ tweaks (i.e. the 2002 AC/DC remasters) and the compression boost can actually cause distortion and 'clipping' (see articles on 'The Loudness Wars' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war). Some of these 'remasters' are really painful to listen to.

ZahZoo
02-25-2009, 11:10 AM
I know vinyl is the new audiophile thing because every old is new again. But isn't part of the problem with records, aside from the pops, is they dampen the bass?

Is this really much better than the remasters on CD?

No the bass wasn't dampened on vinyl... it was somewhat compressed and focused within a more narrow bandwidth than what's delivered today on CD's.

Back in the day the full spectrum on vinyl was optimized to sound best within the frequency range of stereo amps and speakers prevelant at the time. There were limitations in the analog technology and the width of a record groove to reproduce sound in an audible range for the average human ear.

CD's expanded that range both on the low and significantly in the high end of the sound frequency. Older analog recordings for vinyl actually had the high end frequencies boosted to allow for less distortion for the way a needle handled the low end frequencies.

This is why older conversions of analog masters to early CD's sounded thin and tinny. Mastering techniques had to change with digital recording to compensate for the range of CD's.

One reason you see speaker systems with 2,3 or 5 tiny little speakers and a single subwoofer today is digital recordings still are heavy on the higher frequency ranges.

My opinion is these new systems sound ok... but you'll get much more full sound from a system with a decent crossover in the amps. A solid subwoofer, 12 inch woofers, 5-6 inches mids and high quality ceramic tweeters. Today's home theater systems just don't produce clean sound that the old 12 & 5-6 inch low and mid range speakers deliver. It's mostly high highs and low lows with huge gap in the mid-range.

LoungeMachine
02-25-2009, 11:58 AM
Thank God !!!

I was worried VH, Inc would be wasting precious time and energy on new material.

Why write and record new stuff, when you can re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-release perfectly good songs from 30 years ago?

:gulp:

ZahZoo
02-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Why write and record new stuff, when you can re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-release perfectly good songs from 30 years ago?

:gulp:

Better yet... re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-release perfectly good songs on audio media 100 years old.

Go for the old... not the gold!! :biggrin:

ForeverDLR/VH
02-26-2009, 04:29 AM
If you really want to get down to it, get the 180 gram RTI vinyl and go on ebay to get your hands on the VH 1 Gold Disc, Listen to all 3 formats and compare the 3 to see, which version is better?

ThatArtGuy
02-28-2009, 03:52 AM
I had all three, and I personally prefer the remasters. When using a HDCD receiver, there really isn't much of a comparison left.

Panamark
02-28-2009, 04:05 AM
LP's always sounded better to me..
Akin to the difference between
solid state and tube amplifiers....

That Art Guy, what CD player do you own ?
(Brand/Model) ... got me curious..

ThatArtGuy
02-28-2009, 06:50 PM
I have a NAD C542. It's a good player and decodes HDCD's wonderfully, but I will probably upgrade down the road. The remasters sound superfluous (read: f'n awesome) when decoded correctly.

It doesn't do sacd, but I have my Playstation 3 for that now. :D

Panamark
02-28-2009, 09:06 PM
I have a NAD C542. It's a good player and decodes HDCD's wonderfully, but I will probably upgrade down the road. The remasters sound superfluous (read: f'n awesome) when decoded correctly.

It doesn't do sacd, but I have my Playstation 3 for that now. :D

I just picked up a Panasonic Blu Ray, might grab the old spec book and see if it plays HDCD...... Fingers Crossed !