• ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

The Fierce Urgency of Pork

By Charles Krauthammer

February 6, 2009

"A failure to act, and act now, will turn crisis into a catastrophe."

President Obama, Feb. 4.

Catastrophe, mind you. So much for the president who in his inaugural address two weeks earlier declared "we have chosen hope over fear." Until, that is, you need fear to pass a bill.

And so much for the promise to banish the money changers and influence peddlers from the temple. An ostentatious executive order banning lobbyists was immediately followed by the nomination of at least a dozen current or former lobbyists to high position. Followed by a Treasury secretary who allegedly couldn't understand the payroll tax provisions in his 1040. Followed by Tom Daschle, who had to fall on his sword according to the new Washington rule that no Cabinet can have more than one tax delinquent.

The Daschle affair was more serious because his offense involved more than taxes. As Michael Kinsley once observed, in Washington the real scandal isn't what's illegal, but what's legal. Not paying taxes is one thing. But what made this case intolerable was the perfectly legal dealings that amassed Daschle $5.2 million in just two years.

He'd been getting $1 million per year from a law firm. But he's not a lawyer, nor a registered lobbyist. You don't get paid this kind of money to instruct partners on the Senate markup process. You get it for picking up the phone and peddling influence.

At least Tim Geithner, the tax-challenged Treasury secretary, had been working for years as a humble international civil servant earning non-stratospheric wages. Daschle, who had made another cool million a year (plus chauffeur and Caddy) for unspecified services to a pal's private equity firm, represented everything Obama said he'd come to Washington to upend.

And yet more damaging to Obama's image than all the hypocrisies in the appointment process is his signature bill: the stimulus package. He inexplicably delegated the writing to Nancy Pelosi and the barons of the House. The product, which inevitably carries Obama's name, was not just bad, not just flawed, but a legislative abomination.

It's not just pages and pages of special-interest tax breaks, giveaways and protections, one of which would set off a ruinous Smoot-Hawley trade war. It's not just the waste, such as the $88.6 million for new construction for Milwaukee Public Schools, which, reports the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, have shrinking enrollment, 15 vacant schools and, quite logically, no plans for new construction.

It's the essential fraud of rushing through a bill in which the normal rules (committee hearings, finding revenue to pay for the programs) are suspended on the grounds that a national emergency requires an immediate job-creating stimulus -- and then throwing into it hundreds of billions that have nothing to do with stimulus, that Congress's own budget office says won't be spent until 2011 and beyond, and that are little more than the back-scratching, special-interest, lobby-driven parochialism that Obama came to Washington to abolish. He said.

Not just to abolish but to create something new -- a new politics where the moneyed pork-barreling and corrupt logrolling of the past would give way to a bottom-up, grass-roots participatory democracy. That is what made Obama so dazzling and new. Turns out the "fierce urgency of now" includes $150 million for livestock (and honeybee and farm-raised fish) insurance.

The Age of Obama begins with perhaps the greatest frenzy of old-politics influence peddling ever seen in Washington. By the time the stimulus bill reached the Senate, reports the Wall Street Journal, pharmaceutical and high-tech companies were lobbying furiously for a new plan to repatriate overseas profits that would yield major tax savings. California wine growers and Florida citrus producers were fighting to change a single phrase in one provision. Substituting "planted" for "ready to market" would mean a windfall garnered from a new "bonus depreciation" incentive.

After Obama's miraculous 2008 presidential campaign, it was clear that at some point the magical mystery tour would have to end. The nation would rub its eyes and begin to emerge from its reverie. The hallucinatory Obama would give way to the mere mortal. The great ethical transformations promised would be seen as a fairy tale that all presidents tell -- and that this president told better than anyone.

I thought the awakening would take six months. It took two and a half weeks.

CryingMAO!

• FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Why does a PNAC stooge like Cunthammer even get access to the media anymore?

Oh yeah.... silly question.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Nevermind him being right, right ??

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Oh yeah, he's extremely right.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• GAR
          Banned
          • Jan 2004

I keep seeing Boy on TV saying that "We need to act now."

Funny how similar a pitch that is to TV sales such as Ginsu Steak knives, Shamwow and other "..act now, and we'll also receive" pitch statement benefits.

Funny how if the money was in the bank yesterday, nobody'd touch it for a year anyhow.

Funny how last years' 300 million is mostly unspent after what, 6 months in the kitty?

Funny man this Boy Obama is! But I'm not laughing.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
            Nevermind him being right, right ??
            Where was all this right-wing tool hand wringing 2001-2006 when you guys PORKED us into this mess?

Did Chimpy Veto one single bill?

Was there a ban on earmarks?

You guys crack me up.

Originally posted by Kristy
            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
            Originally posted by cadaverdog
            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
              Where was all this right-wing tool hand wringing 2001-2006 when you guys PORKED us into this mess?

Did Chimpy Veto one single bill?

Was there a ban on earmarks?

You guys crack me up.

So the argument is that it's ok to fuck the taxpayer since the precedent has already been set?
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• GAR
                Banned
                • Jan 2004

I said "300 million" where I should have said "billion" with a B.

Unlike Boy, who is currently speaking in the "trillion" with a T.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                  So the argument is that it's ok to fuck the taxpayer since the precedent has already been set?
                  I never made an argument.

I simply pointed out the hypocrisy with these right-wing tools in here screaming and crying now, yet never said BOO for 6 years while the RePukes spent money like drunken sailors on payday.

I thought my post was pretty clear.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                    I said "300 million" where I should have said "billion" with a B.

Unlike Boy, who is currently speaking in the "trillion" with a T.
                    You should "copy-write" that.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

This pulled pork sandwich is simply delicious.
                      ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                      Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

I'm not right-wing, you LoungeLizard fag...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

No, you're just a dope that never, ever questioned the huge deficit spending by a Republican, ever...

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Yes I have. You're just selective in your memory...

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Dude, c'mon. Yes you are.
                              ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                              Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

Working...