PDA

View Full Version : GUITARWORLD readers vote EVH top rock guitarist of 2008

Matt White
02-07-2009, 11:12 AM
April issue of GUITAR WORLD magazine on the newstands....

annual readers poll results in.....

BEST ROCK GUITARIST of 2008....

and the winner is....

EVH---75%

Angus Young---11%

Mick Mars---7%

David Gilmour---6%

Keith Nelson---1%

See how that works ED???

Give the people what they want...and reap the accolades....as well as the financial rewards

:hitch:

ThrillsNSpills
02-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Give the people what they want...and reap the accolades....as well as the financial rewards

:hitch:

they want Roth in VH
end of story

binnie
02-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Well, that's a mighty fine accolade and I'm pleased Ed's getting some props. He wasn't up against much competition though was he?

Diamondjimi
02-07-2009, 01:22 PM
GW has been polishing Ed's knob for ages. If he was selling EVH sig. dentures they would put him on the cover.
But since this is probably a readers poll it's a good sign.

hideyoursheep
02-07-2009, 02:47 PM
GW has been polishing Ed's knob for ages. If he was selling EVH sig. dentures they would put him on the cover.
But since this is probably a readers poll it's a good sign.

Almost 30 years, if it used to be called guitar player magazine

Jack68
02-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Ed deserves it no doubt by a landslide.Mick Mars edges out David Gilmour...holy fucking shit...:barf:

Terry
02-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Personally, in 2008, I'd have given it to Angus Young...

Didn't AC/DC put out a well-received and halfway decent album of NEW music in 2008?

As opposed to Ed, who did half a year's worth of greatest hits gigs in 2008 (and barely got through those)? Does drunkenly staggering through Eruption for the ten millionth time count as something worthy of being "top rock guitarist"?

It IS true that GW thinks everything Ed does is worthy of praise.

78/84 guy
02-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Angus get's my vote. Love that no bullshit live tone. But good for Ed. Maybe he will try a little harder now that he seems to be in better condition know's people still care for his playing despite all the shit he did to the band over the years.

binnie
02-07-2009, 07:33 PM
It IS great for Eddie, but I always think that magazines should do more to celebrate younger talent. That list perpetuates the myth that great music is dead........

Top Jimmy
02-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Keith Nelson---1%
??? who??

oh waitaminnute....
Buck Cherry's guitarist...
uh...ok.......

they didn't even try,,,,

Diamondjimi
02-07-2009, 10:24 PM
I thought to myself, "Eddie Van Halen and Michael Jackson! Will there ever be a more exciting collaboration in this lifetime?"

Hmmm. gimme a minute.

If Edward Van Halen & David Lee Roth can get together and make the album of their lives in the next 2 years ... That would be more exciting ,imo!;)

rocknrolldork
02-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Keith Nelson---1%
??? who??

oh waitaminnute....
Buck Cherry's guitarist...
uh...ok.......

they didn't even try,,,,

I can't believe Mick Mars got any votes. I like Crue's first 2 albums a bit, but man Mick Mars sucks as a guitarist.

Terry
02-07-2009, 11:04 PM
I can't believe Mick Mars got any votes. I like Crue's first 2 albums a bit, but man Mick Mars sucks as a guitarist.

Mars was okay, considering the relative musicianship of the rest of Motley Crue; he fit in well with his surroundings.

indeedido
02-08-2009, 12:11 AM
I think Ed's paid advertisements (they call them articles) bought that pole.

binnie
02-08-2009, 06:35 AM
Mars was okay, considering the relative musicianship of the rest of Motley Crue; he fit in well with his surroundings.

Mars has a unique sound - dry and taut. He's written some good riffs.

rocknrolldork
02-08-2009, 07:34 PM

I agree with both of these statements, but he shouldn't be up for guitarist of the year. There are so many other creative guitarists out there who are so much better.

Matt White
02-08-2009, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=Matt White;1320163]annual readers poll results in.....

yeah...it's the "readers poll"....you know...where readers of the magazine vote on a poll......

and yes....GUITAR WORLD has been the "unofficial" EVH cheerleader over the years...but...their readership has called him out time & again in the "feedback to the editor" section.......

VAN HALEN has been voted "Biggest Disapointment of the Year" on many occasions by the readers for failing to get it together with DAVID LEE ROTH.........

Terry
02-08-2009, 10:49 PM
I agree with both of these statements, but he shouldn't be up for guitarist of the year. There are so many other creative guitarists out there who are so much better.

Agreed.

Shit, what Mick Mars has gone through makes Eddie's self-inflicted illnesses seem like a mild case of the flu; for Mars to still be vertical and playing is enough for him these days.

rocknrolldork
02-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Agreed.

Shit, what Mick Mars has gone through makes Eddie's self-inflicted illnesses seem like a mild case of the flu; for Mars to still be vertical and playing is enough for him these days.

Yeah..... I feel sorry for that dude when I watch him walk. It has to be excruciating.

78/84 guy
02-10-2009, 01:25 PM
I like Mick, Good riffs. Best guitarist list !! Tells me how bad music has been lately.

katie
02-10-2009, 06:29 PM
April issue of GUITAR WORLD magazine on the newstands....

annual readers poll results in.....

BEST ROCK GUITARIST of 2008....

and the winner is....

EVH---75%

http://images.art.com/images/products/large/10005000/10005915.jpg

GAR
02-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Almost 30 years, if it used to be called guitar player magazine

GP and GW are two totally separate publications, always have been.

GP used to be the one with the peer-based articles of interest to guitar players. These days it shoud be called Guitar Hero Players, or GHP for catering to bullshit bands like Fallout Boy and crap like that.

ppg960
02-10-2009, 10:26 PM

I agree Binnie. He is actually a blues oriented player.
He's quite good but will never be EVH.
Ed is one of the best to ever play - nuff said.