PDA

View Full Version : Freestyle Motocross Rider Jeremy Lusk Dead

chefcraig
02-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Damn. Seeing some of the wild stuff these guys tend to pull off seemingly effortlessly, you'd never think that one of them could get killed while doing so.

Freestyle motocross rider Jeremy Lusk dies

By MARIANELA JIMENEZ, Associated Press Writer

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica (AP)—Jeremy Lusk, an American freestyle motocross rider, died of head injuries Tuesday after crashing while trying to land a backflip in competition. He was 24.

Jorge Ramirez, chief of the intensive care unit at Calderon Hospital where Lusk was taken, said the motocross racer suffered severe brain damage and a possible spinal cord injury.

Lusk won a gold medal at the 2008 X Games. He was injured Saturday night when he failed to complete a full rotation while attempting a Hart Attack backflip and slammed headfirst into the dirt. Lusk crashed in almost identical fashion in the freestyle semifinals at the 2007 X Games but was not hurt.

He had a successful 2008 season, winning Freestyle gold at the X Games and silver in Best Trick when he landed the first double-grab Hart Attack backflip. He won a bronze helmet in Freestyle at the Moto X World Championships in his hometown of San Diego.

Ramirez said Lusk died with his parents and his wife, Lauren, at his side.

“He was in a medicine-induced coma as a protective measure, and the medicine was being reduced to see how his organism responded,” he said. “That didn’t mean he was going to wake up. He was in shock and that got worse last night, until he stopped responding and entered into cardiac and respiratory failure.”

Lusk lived in Temecula, Calif.

A trust has been set up in his memory, and donations can be made through the Athlete Recovery Fund, www.athleterecoveryfund.com

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-obit-lusk&prov=ap&type=lgns

LoungeMachine
02-10-2009, 05:20 PM
24. sheesh.

I'm sure someone will be posting a video of the death for the morbidly curious.

RIP

:gulp:

chefcraig
02-10-2009, 05:27 PM
24. sheesh.

I'm sure someone will be posting a video of the death for the morbidly curious.

RIP

:gulp:

Oh, it's been available for a couple of days now. Some ghouls have made the offering (where else?) at youtube. Cryin' shame. :(

Sarge
02-10-2009, 06:31 PM
it' all over youtube.
What a shame...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Damn. Seeing some of the wild stuff these guys tend to pull off seemingly effortlessly, you'd never think that one of them could get killed while doing so.

Please tell me you're being facetious....

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often...

chefcraig
02-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Please tell me you're being facetious....

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often...

Seriously injured? By all means. Yet dead? No. Look at guys like Eval Kneval, that fractured or shattered every bone in their bodies doing stunts more often than not on concrete. Even after the most horrific incidents, these guys lived through the ordeal.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Well, the fact that Evel survived is complete luck, he probably should've died 3 or 4 times... The Wembley Stadium jump, the Ceasar's jump, and for damn sure the Snake River jump.....

But these guys, for as many flips and shit that they're doing now, I'm surprised more haven't broken their necks...

TAKIN WHISKEY
02-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Well, the fact that Evel survived is complete luck, he probably should've died 3 or 4 times... The Wembley Stadium jump, the Ceasar's jump, and for damn sure the Snake River jump.....

But these guys, for as many flips and shit that they're doing now, I'm surprised more haven't broken their necks...

True. It's funny that you said exactly what I brought up in a few conversations I've had at work over the last couple of days. Evel, as crazy as he was, and as bad as those accidents were, was never upside on his bike in the air. When you land it wrong upside down, you're in big trouble. God rest his soul.

redblkwht
02-11-2009, 08:34 PM
that crash was brutal..hold cow, he was dead instantly.