PDA

View Full Version : "Rainbow" reunion (sort of)

Mr Badguy
02-13-2009, 01:17 PM
With Ritchie Blackmore firmly ensconced in BLACKMORE'S NIGHT, chances of seeing a RAINBOW reunion have been almost nil…until now. Former vocalist Joe Lynn Turner has put together a reunion of sorts under a new banner called OVER THE RAINBOW. The band will feature ex-members of RAINBOW from various incarnations, including drummer Bobby Rondinelli, keyboardist Tony Carey and bassist Greg Smith. Filling the guitarist slot is Ritchie's son Jürgen "J.R." Blackmore, who has been quietly forging a career in his native Germany.

antiMusic's Morley Seaver spoke with Joe recently about the band as well as the singer's many other projects. An excerpt from the conversation follows below.

antiMusic: How did this RAINBOW reunion of sorts come about?

Joe: Well, I'll tell you, quite honestly, I was sitting in Russia after a tour with a few promoters and what not and they were like, "You know, it would be great to have a RAINBOW reunion. Huh? Do you think that'll ever happen?" I went, "Well, you know, you're not going to get Ritchie, you know what I mean? He's really happy doing what he's doing and so on." And so they said, "Well who would you get?" And I said, "It wouldn't work." And they said, "Well, it's got to work." And I said, "Well, you know, it's not a matter of all the other guys. It's the guitarist." So then it hit me. And I swear, all of a sudden they went, "What, What?" And I said, "I think I have an idea." And they said, "What is it?" and I said, "Blackmore's got a son." And they went, "You're kidding. Really?" Nobody knows that. Not many anyway. You know, because he's German, half German. And his name is Jürgen Richard Blackmore. And he's been playing guitar for like 30 years, and he's great. So I was in Germany, and I started to get this bug about it, and I called Jürgen and said, "Look, can we meet for dinner?" Because I knew him when he was like 16, 17 and he would come to the shows and what have you. He was a kid and I'd probably be like his big brother or something you know, Anyway, I called and we had dinner and he loved the idea. So I said, now once I got Jürgen in place here, I got Blackmore on guitar, now I can start lining up the other guys, and of course I wanted to try to represent the incarnations of RAINBOW as best we could. I'm not going to get into any names in particular but we certainly don't want any people who are using drugs or abusing alcohol to a GREAT degree…you know what I mean by that. (laughs) Okay if you want to have a few drinks, but you can't be drunk and stand around all the time. And that eliminated quite a few people. (laughs)

antiMusic: (laughs)

Joe: And they shall remain nameless to protect their identities. But anyway we got a great lineup; we've got Jürgen on guitar, Bobby Rondinelli on the drum spot, who's just phenomenal. We've got Tony Carey on keyboards. Tony had great success with PLANET P as well. And, of course, on bass now from the very last incarnation of RAINBOW, and a member of the Joe Lynn Turner band is Greg Smith. So we've got friends and family and actually we call this a family project. That's how we refer to it in emails. It's really strange because we've all known each other for over 25 years. Now, we're getting the set list together.

antiMusic: Wow.

Joe: Yeah, so it's all like "Hey man, this is going to be great to play together." And we've dropped the news on everybody and the reaction is just amazing. Now we've got to live up to it.

antiMusic: No problem there. Have you ever played with J.R. before?

Joe: Not lately. There was one point in time we were hanging out and jamming a little bit. But that was when he was still very young and he's since improved a lot. So I did keep up with his MySpace and even before that, a few of the sites that he'd download stuff onto with his projects. And you know, he really had a great tone and he had a great sense of melody and now he's even got chops, so you know it's kind of like I said "You can cut your father's stuff, you know. Are you worried about this? Do you feel that there's an intimidation factor here or anything? And he said: "No, as long as I'm allowed to you know, edify my father's leads. My father's never been a fast player." And I said, "No, but he's accurate though." and he said: "I can do exactly what he does but I'm more of a tone and a feel player." And I go, "Well, some of my favorite guitar players like Leslie West and people like that are just that way." So I think this thing's going to work. But we were all like that in the beginning. We've all never played each other. So will this work? But we're all good at what we do so how can it not work? You know, that's how you start a band: you just call up your buddies and go "Come to my basement. We'll practice."

Read the entire interview at www.antimusic.com.

OVER THE RAINBOW is:

Joe Lynn Turner (RAINBOW 1980-1984) - Vocals
Tony Carey (RAINBOW 1975-1978) - Keyboards
Bobby Rondinelli (RAINBOW 1980-1983) - Drums
Greg Smith (RAINBOW 1994-1997) - Bass
Jürgen "J.R." Blackmore - Guitar

Source: Blabbermouth.net

==================================================

Well, it`s as close to Rainbow as you`re going to get.

Dio`s in "Sabbath", Cozy Powell`s dead, (the real) Blackmore has retired, Roger Glover is in Deep Purple (as is Don Airey) so you`re not going to get any of them.

Wow, that line up is better than the Turner version.

Still, better than nothing, eh?

Hellraiser!!
02-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Funny that almost all of those guys never played together in Rainbow, except Bobby and Joe....yes, It's better than nothing even if this is actually sounds like nothing to me anyway!!

Remember Blizzards of Ozz's "reunion".... Living Loud...It's just like that!!!

Terry
02-13-2009, 02:09 PM
"A reunion of sorts" IS the best way to describe it.

That blonde chippie must have put one helluva hex on Ritchie, because he's avoiding hard rock like the plague! Though I suppose I can understand him not wanting to keep doing retreads with either Deep Purple or Rainbow...as a fan, though, it'd be good to see Ritchie put aside Blackmore's Night for a bit, plug in the Strat again and do a quick blast through America and Europe for the fans of his who really dig the harder-edged stuff.

Hellraiser!!
02-13-2009, 02:24 PM
"A reunion of sorts" IS the best way to describe it.

That blonde chippie must have put one helluva hex on Ritchie, because he's avoiding hard rock like the plague! Though I suppose I can understand him not wanting to keep doing retreads with either Deep Purple or Rainbow...as a fan, though, it'd be good to see Ritchie put aside Blackmore's Night for a bit, plug in the Strat again and do a quick blast through America and Europe for the fans of his who really dig the harder-edged stuff.

Nice idea!!! But a reunion to release a crappy album like "Stranger in us all" is not welcome....even if Doogie White is a great vocalist and the cover of "Still I'm Sad" kick ass!!

chefcraig
02-13-2009, 02:37 PM
From J.R. Blackmore's official site (http://www.jrblackmore.de/en/index.php):

"Dear friends, today i want directly talk to you.

Maybe some of you read, that I am going back on Tour with “Over The Rainbow”. In case of this I want to tell you some background information.
I did get a phone call for a couple of time where Joe and Bobby ask me if I would like to do this Project.

I said…please give me some time…I will think about it: Actually I never liked to do something like this!

In this time I did often get phone calls…so I went to my dad. We both talked about this Project and he said: Go on…do it.

That was the first step in this direction.

After that I was reading in the web, talked to Fans, and many different people about this and all of them said: Please Do it! In the End I also meet people who never had the chance to see Rainbow live and they all told me what a big wish it is to see this Band live…I thought ok…that’s it and meet Joe in Germany. We both talked about everything and in case that Joe is such a nice guy I said in the end: YES OK!

In this Project I don’t want to present me or put on my father’s shoes or even lay on his back…NO

It is only for millions of rock fans who always had this dream to see this Band live. I am not my Father and I “NEVER” can replace him, but i will try to give these Fans one time the chance to see this Thing happen….because my Dad, never will do Rainbow again, he is lucky and happy with his new style ….but i will try my best and hope you will enjoy it.

All these Things gave me the feeling to do this thing and stay to this decision.

So for all Fans who want to enjoy this great musicians like: Tony Carey, Joe Lynn Turner, Bobby Rondinelli and Greg Smith together with me on stage, I am very happy and proud to bring this present to all of you.

For all fans and who wanna be in the future Yes… I am happy to see you all at these shows.

Take care
J.R.Blackmore (Rock´n Roll)"

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3889/arainnnfb4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Diamondjimi
02-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Meh.... the Turner era is my least fav. era for Rainbow. I'd take Dio or Bonnet anyday.

Besides, it just ain't Rainbow without Ritchie anyway.......

Terry
02-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Nice idea!!! But a reunion to release a crappy album like "Stranger in us all" is not welcome....even if Doogie White is a great vocalist and the cover of "Still I'm Sad" kick ass!!

Wouldn't necessarily want a Rainbow reunion in terms of getting any new music out of it, but as a fan just to see Blackmore and either Turner or Dio (far as Rainbow goes, I really don't care which one would sing) hit the stage and play some of that great music again. However, for me, if it never happens, well...am not exactly biting my nails in anticipation, you know? If it comes to pass, great.

Terry
02-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Meh.... the Turner era is my least fav. era for Rainbow. I'd take Dio or Bonnet anyday.

Besides, it just ain't Rainbow without Ritchie anyway.......

Bonnet's voice has always irked the fuck out of me. Dude always sounded like he was straining...like he couldn't handle the range the songs were written in...

Mr Badguy
02-14-2009, 07:58 AM
My take on this is that if there are tribute bands out there making a living out of this kind of shit, then why don`t the guys who played a part in it make something out of it.

The irony of course is if they play, for example, "Long live Rock N Roll" or "All night long", none of these dudes wrote or recorded them.

But hey, Fuck it, what will the Russians know anyway?

ELVIS
02-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Still, better than nothing, eh?

Ummm...

No

J.R. Ewing Blackmore is not a very good player at all as far as i'm concerned...

I've seen far better guitarists in the local clubs around here...

:elvis:

Diamondjimi
02-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Dude always sounded like he was straining...like he couldn't handle the range the songs were written in...

True ,he sang like his head was gonna explode. Seemed to always sing most of everything he's done at the top of his range.

Terry
02-14-2009, 05:38 PM
My take on this is that if there are tribute bands out there making a living out of this kind of shit, then why don`t the guys who played a part in it make something out of it.

The irony of course is if they play, for example, "Long live Rock N Roll" or "All night long", none of these dudes wrote or recorded them.

But hey, Fuck it, what will the Russians know anyway?

The double irony being confusing a lame tune like Long Live Rock And Roll as some sacred chestnut that somehow deserves not to be butchered by lame tribute and pub bands.

Am not denying that RDJ and Blackmore are brilliant, but that tune was weak-ass lame shit that is contemptable of the best those two had to offer; mindless plodder bullshit, and not even the best tune on the album from which it came.

chefcraig
02-14-2009, 06:15 PM
The double irony being confusing a lame tune like Long Live Rock And Roll as some sacred chestnut that somehow deserves not to be butchered by lame tribute and pub bands.

Am not denying that RDJ and Blackmore are brilliant, but that tune was weak-ass lame shit that is contemptable of the best those two had to offer; mindless plodder bullshit, and not even the best tune on the album from which it came.

True enough. Even given the at times dopey standards of Deep Purple when it came to song subjects, that tune was an embarrassment. I recall when it came out, my friends and I were saying "Yup, that's the end of this version of the band", not only for the tune being so insipid, yet for actually titling the album in such a pandering fashion. OK, it isn't as bad as the near corporate-rock nadir the Bonnett fronted version of the band would reach, yet after that smokin' On Stage album, it was a major disappointment.

lesfunk
02-14-2009, 06:30 PM
On the optimistic side, It would be nice to hear those songs played again by a good band.
It might be worthwhile for that alone.

Terry
02-14-2009, 10:11 PM
True enough. Even given the at times dopey standards of Deep Purple when it came to song subjects, that tune was an embarrassment. I recall when it came out, my friends and I were saying "Yup, that's the end of this version of the band", not only for the tune being so insipid, yet for actually titling the album in such a pandering fashion. OK, it isn't as bad as the near corporate-rock nadir the Bonnett fronted version of the band would reach, yet after that smokin' On Stage album, it was a major disappointment.

Just a cringeworthy song title designed for little else than to get punters to raise their fists in the air. chanting "Rock and Roll!!"

A lot of bands who had talent resorted to that absurd nonsense, without realizing if your stuff is shit-hot, you don't need that type of gimmick.

Terry
02-14-2009, 10:13 PM
On the optimistic side, It would be nice to hear those songs played again by a good band.
It might be worthwhile for that alone.

Well, considering the current crop of "artists" out there one has to contend with, I suppose a half-assed reunion flogging nostalgia is slightly better than, say, a fucking Jonas Brothers concert (although Savicki might disagree).

bueno bob
02-15-2009, 12:44 AM
Actually, I'm OK with this. Fans have been screaming for a Rainbow reunion for years now, and honestly the lineup is intriguing to me. It should be said that I'm a fan of ALL eras of Rainbow, from Dio up to Turner, and thus I like the idea of Turner being there so that all eras of the material can be represented...let's face it, Ronnie wouldn't be caught dead singing Stone Cold or Since You Been Gone, honestly...

I don't know too much about JR Blackmore or his playing, but Tony Carey and Bobby Rondinelli are living legends. I'm curious to see whether or not Joe Lynn Turner still has the vocal chops. It's a solid lineup of musicians and they're all tied into Rainbow to some degree, so I don't necessarily think of it as a cover band, more like a continuation and a thanks to the fans for the years of continued support.

I can only assume Junior has Dad's blessing to do it as well, otherwise it probably wouldn't be happening at all. And fuck it - if Blackmore's going to fuck off selling 1000 copies of folk albums and playing abandoned castles to 25 people a night, obviously there's no relying on him to do anything worthwhile with Rainbow, so why not?

Rainbow never really had a firm lineup beyond Blackmore, anyway - I mean, fuck, the first album was a fucking Elf album with Ritchie Blackmore on guitar, for pete's sake...lineup stability has NEVER been an issue in Rainbow...on top of that, it's not "Rainbow", anyway...it's "Over the Rainbow", so the variation is at least being acknowledged. I'm in favor of that move.

Looking forward to seeing what comes of this, and for all parties involved, I hope it's succesful. Only bitch I have is that Jimmy Bain should probably be involved before Greg Smith, but...

Panamark
02-15-2009, 01:14 AM
Sounds more half assed than the Hagar reunion...
And that is saying something.

Has anyone actually heard Blacmore Jnr pull off his
Dad's riffs ??

Mr Badguy
02-15-2009, 07:14 AM

I agree that that tune ain`t that great, but if they play anything off that album then odds on it will be that one.

I couldn`t see Turner singing "Gates Of Babylon" or "LA Connection".

In fact, I don`t think much of that album was performed live first time around.

Or much of "Rising", come to think of it.

Most of the bootlegs/live tapes I have of that era don`t change much in terms of set lists between 1975-78.

Even "Stargazer" wasn`t regularly in the set.

Lazy Bastards.

Terry
02-15-2009, 09:50 AM
I agree that that tune ain`t that great, but if they play anything off that album then odds on it will be that one.

I couldn`t see Turner singing "Gates Of Babylon" or "LA Connection".

In fact, I don`t think much of that album was performed live first time around.

Or much of "Rising", come to think of it.

Most of the bootlegs/live tapes I have of that era don`t change much in terms of set lists between 1975-78.

Even "Stargazer" wasn`t regularly in the set.

Lazy Bastards.

Well, with any "Rainbowesque"-style reunion that is Turner-fronted, I'd have to agree that Long Live Rock And Roll would probably be one of the few RJD-era tunes the band would play...mostly because Turner's voice is just not suited to sing Dio tunes.

I really don't have a preference in terms of Rainbow lineups; I understand it is fashionable to say the Blackmore/Dio/Powell/Daisley one was "by far the best", but I like the later period of the band as well...even a tune like Stone Cold I quite enjoy, despite it sounding like a Foreigner knockoff.

GreenBayLA
02-16-2009, 05:23 AM
I didn't know Blackmore has a son but Joe Lynn Foreigner? Remember the ruckus when he joined Deep Purple?!?!?!
Why not get Robin McAuley while you're at it?

lesfunk
02-16-2009, 01:51 PM
I would much rather have had Doogie White than Joleen.

WACF
02-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Just a cringeworthy song title designed for little else than to get punters to raise their fists in the air. chanting "Rock and Roll!!"

A lot of bands who had talent resorted to that absurd nonsense, without realizing if your stuff is shit-hot, you don't need that type of gimmick.

Blackmore was looking for a "hit" in North America though.

He could not be happy with the band he had...which is too bad.

Dio was not going to do that...that is why we got Bonnet then Joe Lynn Turner.

bueno bob
02-16-2009, 05:32 PM
It worked. Rainbow with Turner was doing very good business stateside, far better than they did with Dio or Bonnet.

I have to disagree violently with the notion of Doogie over Turner, though - Joe is FAR more Rainbow than Doogie will ever be, considering Doogie sang lead on what was essentially a Ritchie Blackmore solo album tagged with the name "Rainbow" by the record company.

Bottom line is that Rainbow's had such an unstable lineup from day one a pseudo-Rainbow band which isn't even claiming to BE Rainbow is perfectly acceptable, considering Blackmore's too pussywhipped to do it anymore.

Mr Badguy
02-16-2009, 08:12 PM
I don`t understand the Foreigner connection.

It was a move away from gothic metal into a more radio friendly style, but I never hear anything on the Turner era albums that makes me think of Foreigner, Journey, Boston or any of the US bands of the day.

The Turner bashing is unfair also.

Blackmore dictated the style of the band`s music, not Turner.

Joe just happened to be the vocalist employed at the time.

Terry
02-16-2009, 09:42 PM
I don`t understand the Foreigner connection.

It was a move away from gothic metal into a more radio friendly style, but I never hear anything on the Turner era albums that makes me think of Foreigner, Journey, Boston or any of the US bands of the day.

The Turner bashing is unfair also.

Blackmore dictated the style of the band`s music, not Turner.

Joe just happened to be the vocalist employed at the time.

Ain't bashing Turner, Rainbow or Foreigner.

The tune Stone Cold sounds like a Foreigner song to me. Doesn't mean I don't like it, although I wouldn't put it in my top 10 Rainbow songs of all-time.

Blackmore DID make a conscious move towards commercial rock radio-friendly material by going with Turner; Blackmore even admitted as much. Can't blame the guy, because up until Turner joined, many outside of hard rock enthusiasts had little idea who Rainbow were. Turner had a voice with commercial qualities...certainly more so than Bonnet or Dio.

Mr Badguy
02-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Wow, check out this setlist from St Petersburg:

01. Tarot Woman
02. Kill The King
03. Street Of Dreams
04. Man On The Silver Mountain
05. Death Alley Driver
06. Eyes Of The World
07. Ariel
08. Wolf To The Moon
09. Power
10. Jealous Lover
11. Can't Happen Here
12. Drum Solo
13. Stargazer
14. Long Live Rock'n'Roll / Lazy / Long Live Rock'n'Roll

Encore 1:

15. I Surrender
16. Since You've Been Gone

Encore 2:

17. All Night Long

Wow, I think Turner sang more Dio at this gig that he did when he was in the real Rainbow.

Even a couple from "Stranger in us all".

vaijuju
02-19-2009, 01:57 PM
We can have a supergroup

With Sean Lennon : singer
Jr Blackmore : Guitar
Dweezil Zappa : Guitar
Wolfgang Van Halen : Bass
Jason Bonham : Drums

GAR
02-19-2009, 02:16 PM
The tune Stone Cold sounds like a Foreigner song to me..

Which one specifically, "Head Games"? That's a keystone tune to the band and you may have a point with the tempo and rhythm but I don't hear it..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ygBtqWOLE74&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ygBtqWOLE74&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8WukfC-6Gpc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8WukfC-6Gpc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

GAR
02-19-2009, 02:28 PM
We can have a supergroup

With Sean Lennon : singer
Jr Blackmore : Guitar

These two are whackjobs.

Junior Blackmore is a metalhead disrespectfully dispositioning his father's playing style as "slow you know" while his guitar tone sounds like a fucking shithole like a skinny little calfling grazing thru the frozen goddamn tundra by cuntparison.

That guy's a nothing-player. Also, I don't like his face.

Sean Lennon's no singer, he can't sing since him Jap ma bit off his testicles at an early age. If I was him I'd cut all my hair, grow a pair, move outta Mama's pad tell everyone fuck off and start racing million-dollar Formula 1's.

That's what I'd fucking do with that tools' money: he just don't got it! Get it? Ok..

I'll see Rainbow ReRisen or whatever they'll give a naming to it as, but only because I deeply appreciate the drummer and singer and love the music.

You'll find me sitting on the bass player's side - if Junior wants to get onstage with the name Blackmore, that's asking alot of the audience especially when the band name comes from the first album Blackmore's Rainbow which alot of people forget since Dio split.

I accept Joe Lynn Turner, he's a grate guy, puts flesh on the songs that would otherwise be stickwork melodies due to his R&B voice, but I'm not really accepting of the idea Junior Blackmore's Rainbow.. that would be the final straw.

GAR
02-19-2009, 02:32 PM
Why not get Robin McAuley while you're at it?

HEY now you drew some blood, Fucker! Say you're sorry!

Hellraiser!!
02-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Back in the day Blackmore admitted he was copying Foreigner...he was a huge fan!!!

Terry
02-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Which one specifically, "Head Games"? That's a keystone tune to the band and you may have a point with the tempo and rhythm but I don't hear it..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ygBtqWOLE74&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ygBtqWOLE74&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8WukfC-6Gpc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8WukfC-6Gpc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Think it has to do more with the tempo, chorus, lyrics and vocal delivery...am not saying it's a bad tune, and I don't think Foreigner was a bad band, either.