X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

Practice Amps

So I'm shopping for a small practice amp and a find this line. LMFAO! This guy has to be a poster here.

"This super versatile mini-combo weighs in at just 15 pounds, so you can carry it with ease and avoid developing muscles that would destroy your carefully crafted emaciated rocker image."

Anyways, I've narrowed it down to 2.
    Crate vs Marshall.

Marshall MG10CD Guitar Combo Amplifier (10 Watts, 1x6.5 in.). 2 channels. CD input.

This 2-channel combo features Crate's Sequential Cascading Gain technology, allowing for a variety of tones from squeaky clean to ear-bleeding distortion.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”
  • sadaist
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jul 2004

The only reason I'm putting this shit here is because I know a lot of you guys know your gear and can toss me some good advice. And others are hacks like me who might have a question answered they didn't want to ask publicly.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Sarge
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Vox DA5 is alays the winner .. hands down in most reviews I read.
      You can run it off of batteries and it sounds good.

I hope it isn't going to be your main amp though!

Breasts
      Sarge
      ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
      The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
      [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• GAR
        Banned
        • Jan 2004

The Roland Cube 10 I think is the battery-op one that has a DSP in it, with 4 variable effects you control with only 1 knob. But it's effective as an anywhere-amp.

I met this homeless guy practicing on the street, had a Traveler guitar and this little Roland - I just had to stop and go over it with him.

He made puddles where he sat, but he made a good choice in equipment!

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Sarge
          I hope it isn't going to be your main amp though!

Breasts
          Sarge
          LOL. Nope. I have a big Fender down in the garage. But computer is upstairs and I play online poker. I like the mini Les Paul for noodling on in between hands & such. Was looking for an amp under $100 that would be kinda fun to have up there and small enough to slide under the bed.

Comment

• sadaist
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Sarge
            Vox DA5 is alays the winner .. hands down in most reviews I read.
            You can run it off of batteries and it sounds good.

Breasts
            Sarge
            Dang. Check out all the goodies to play around with. This might be a great call. Thanks Sarge.

Comment

• GAR
              Banned
              • Jan 2004

That looks pretty good, full of tub-toys.

But can it sound like this?

"Billy Yates, Venice Amplifier Company: I have over 20 years experience in electronics and tube stuff has always been my forte. I have been playing guitar for 33 years,and I have played for major acts. That experience has given me an edge when it comes to quickly repairing guitar amps. I have had a 100% success rate with no returns in the past 3 years since I opened up my shop. All of my business has been word of mouth, and I have only been servicing 3 music stores in the west LA area. I work on anything tube oriented and will work on stuff that isn't Fender oriented. I work on Gibson, Ampeg, Vox, Marshall, Hiwatt, Laney, Orange, Dumble, and Oh Yea...Fender. How many ways can you slice a Western Electric circuit? Anyway, I can help when nobody else wants too. I'll do it, and with a 6 month warranty. Period. $35.00 an hour, estimates and basic trouble shooting is free. I am located in Venice, CA. 310-821-4663."

This guy seems to know what practice amps are all about!

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

I have a Kalamazoo amp which is a mid 60s Gibson tube amp with tremolo. They were copied from a Fender circuit (Tweed Champ)which would explain the quality of the clean sound.

Comment

• Sarge
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

I own both the Microcube and the Vox DA5 and I much prefer the Vox

Breasts,
                  Sarge

Comment

• GAR
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2004

This little practice amp has kicked ass on all challengers. I'll own this till I die.

Comment

• jhale667
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Stack. Or do not Stack. There is no "combo"...

I keed (a little)...

Haven't really had one since I was a kid, but my practice amp is my computer these days...Line 6 PODfarm, baby.... Though I'm a firm believer in practicing mostly without your amp, unless you're testing out sounds or whatever...helps with pick articulation and accuracy, no masking your mistakes...then when you do use an amp your shit is tight.
                      I remember the little Marshall being decent for a "reference" tone to mess around with. Haven't tried one, but I imagine the Vox one is pretty cool..
                      Originally posted by conmee
                      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                      Originally posted by eddie78
                      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• Sarge
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Originally posted by jhale667
                        I keed (a little)...

Haven't really had one since I was a kid, but my practice amp is my computer these days...Line 6 PODfarm, baby.... Though I'm a firm believer in practicing mostly without your amp, unless you're testing out sounds or whatever...helps with pick articulation and accuracy, no masking your mistakes...then when you do use an amp your shit is tight.
                        I remember the little Marshall being decent for a "reference" tone to mess around with. Haven't tried one, but I imagine the Vox one is pretty cool..
                        I can hardly see your avatar. Send me the image and I will insert it.. much bigger!
                        Thanks

Comment

• Coyote
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

I have one of these..

Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                          It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• sadaist
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jul 2004

Noob question, but what does it mean when an amp states it has an "emulated headphone jack"?

Comment

• Coyote
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                              Noob question, but what does it mean when an amp states it has an "emulated headphone jack"?
                              It won't sound like shit through the headphones...

Right?
                              Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

Working...