PDA

View Full Version : spED to HUSTLER Magazine: Wolfie Taught Me To Rock

LoungeMachine
02-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Van Halen: 'My teenage son taught me to rock'
Yesterday, 11:25 am

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/1/20090215/ten-van-halen-my-teenage-son-taught-me-t-c60bd6d.html

Eddie Van Halen was so out of practise when the band started their last tour, his teenage son had to help him perform his own rock classics.

Van Halen recruited Wolfgang, then 15, to play bass with the Jump! band when they kicked off their 2007 world tour.

And the teenager was such a natural, he ended up teaching his dad how to rock.

Eddie Van Halen tells Hustler magazine, "He showed me a thing or two. Like when we were rehearsing for the tour, I hadn't played some of the songs in almost 25 years, so I had to relearn the s**t.

"I'd start playing and Wolfgang would say, 'Dad, you're playing it wrong.'

"I'm going, 'S**t, of all people to kick my a**, it's my own son.'"

hideyoursheep
02-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Again, proof this thing doesn't happen without Wolfboy.

Anyone else who was critical of Ed would have been told to fuck off, then he would have stuck his hand into the cooler for some mini bottles of Loon and continued to suck.

LoungeMachine
02-15-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm laughing more at the HUSTLER reference than anything else........

But when your PR skank is involved.......

:gulp:

78/84 guy
02-15-2009, 07:14 PM
I'm glad someone kicked him in the ass but it's kind of sad, The guy play's guitar for a living for fuck's sake !!! Must of forgot the old stuff when he was recording those 10 albums in the can.

LoungeMachine
02-15-2009, 07:19 PM
If it wasn't for Wolfie, there would have been no tour w/ DLR

Think about that for a moment, and what a sad state of affairs the VH camp is in.....

It took HIS 15 YEAR OLD KID to get DLR back in VH.

:shakeshead:

hideyoursheep
02-15-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm glad someone kicked him in the ass but it's kind of sad, The guy play's guitar for a living for fuck's sake !!! Must of forgot the old stuff when he was recording those 10 albums in the can.

I think those cans are empty.

He drank the contents.:beers8:

Va Beach VH Fan
02-15-2009, 07:55 PM
I think those cans are empty.

And even if they're not, they might very well be filled with feces....

Think about it, since VH III...

The three absolutely horrible songs with Hagarita....

The absolutely horrible playing on the '04 fiasco tour.....

Even MWM and CGSTNM are very elementary, relatively speaking, in terms of Ed's potential...

hideyoursheep
02-15-2009, 08:59 PM
I agree he probably shot his creative wad.

Terry
02-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Yes, well, it WAS pretty fucking sad that it took his kid to inform Ed what had been so obvious to so many of us for so long; that Roth should be in the band again.

From the show I saw, Ed still hadn't bothered to learn all his old licks, either.

Perhaps Brian Young could give Ed some lessons on how the CVH was (and should be) played if the band decide to tour again with Roth.

Panamark
02-16-2009, 06:53 AM
I reckon its cool that Wolfgang has zero interest in the Hagar stuff
Gotta give him some cred for that

Matt White
02-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Yup....even if they never play another note....that tour was all I needed.....

FORD
02-16-2009, 02:28 PM
I reckon its cool that Wolfgang has zero interest in the Hagar stuff
Gotta give him some cred for that

Not much of a mystery there......

Van HALEN is timeless rock n roll. Van Hagar was commercial top 40 shit that played well on the radio with all the other synth pop and cheese ballads of the day, but sounds dated now.

When I listened to the music of my parents generation, the Elvis & Chuck Berry records certainly made a better impression on me than the Pat Boone & Fabian records did. Granted, my parents weren't actually in any of the bands like Wolfie's dad was, but the point about the timeless music is the same. If you haven't figured out what was music was really good in your generation and what was disposable crap, just ask your kids.

Vinnie Velvet
02-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Not much of a mystery there......

Van HALEN is timeless rock n roll. Van Hagar was commercial top 40 shit that played well on the radio with all the other synth pop and cheese ballads of the day, but sounds dated now.

When I listened to the music of my parents generation, the Elvis & Chuck Berry records certainly made a better impression on me than the Pat Boone & Fabian records did. Granted, my parents weren't actually in any of the bands like Wolfie's dad was, but the point about the timeless music is the same. If you haven't figured out what was music was really good in your generation and what was disposable crap, just ask your kids.

I agree.

And ask any teenage boy full of piss and vinegar as to what they would rather learn to play or listen to? "Dreams" or "D.O.A."??? The result is obvious.

Blaze
02-17-2009, 01:24 PM
OK, beyond the irony of asking for an article from Hustler.
Nonetheless, I hadn't found the artical, sounds like a drop in the Rondo bucket.
Seems a bit counterintuitive

Diamondjimi
02-17-2009, 01:36 PM
OK, beyond the irony of asking for an article from Hustler.
Nonetheless, I hadn't found the artical, sounds like a drop in the Rondo bucket.
Seems a bit counterintuitive

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll268/TR1976/english-motherfucker.gif

binnie
02-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Well, that's a sad state of affairs........

indeedido
02-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Lame.

GAR
02-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Must of forgot the old stuff when he was recording those 10 albums in the can.

ha ha yeah, "16 hours in the studio, day after day for years" really takes the polish off your already-honed skills.

It only takes 20 mins a day to retain your chops, if done daily. A few exercises, some scales and runs, some picking exercises and a song or two - done.

The typical EVH "16 hr day" in the studio consists of - and I'm just reading straight off the daily log sheet here -

"14 hrs, 25 mins sparked the new glass pipe,"
"5 mins bitching to Matt about this shitty coke deal,"
"1 hour lecturing the other guitar tech about not insulting the coke dealer, even if it wasn't the 'shit' "

.. and 30 mins trying to find the light switch so he can get up and out to bed.

I don't know about you good people, but man, that's one helluva routine. Amazing he has time for anything else.. so much to do, so little accuntplished.

One wonders if DLR shouldn't have joined another group and put the whole VH thing behind him!

Blaze
02-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Translation:
Hustler has articles?:biggrin:

fryingdutchman
02-17-2009, 10:32 PM

LOL DJ...:biggrin:

Gotta love the newbie...who quotes him/herself in their avatar.

Methinks Blaze calls out his/her own name during sex...

Diamondjimi
02-18-2009, 12:06 AM
LOL DJ...:biggrin:

Gotta love the newbie...who quotes him/herself in their avatar.

Borderline screwheads . Just like people who quote imaginary conversations with David Lee Roth in your Sig. (a la Thome:smiley-sniffer: )

Methinks Blaze calls out his/her own name during sex...

Yeah.......anal sex!:biggrin:

scottydabodi
02-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Wolfie taught Ed how to rock??
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh...........
I'm not surprised, considering it'd been 25 years since Ed even HEARD the words "Romeo's Delight"....

Hey, Ed, here's a novel idea, let ME pick the setlist for the next(if any) tour.