PDA

View Full Version : ED New interview for Hustler

vaijuju
02-18-2009, 02:41 AM
There is a new interview with Eddie Van Halen in the April 2009 issue of Hustler magazine. Here are some of the highlights where Eddie talks about Van Halen’s 2007-2008 tour:

What was it like the first time you guys played after all those years ?

It was amazing. At first, obviously, Dave doubted that a 15-16 year old could do it. He said, “How’s a 15-year-old kid going to be able to handle standing in front of that many people? Will he be able to sing ? Does he have chops?” That all went out the window after the first rehearsal. (Laughs.) The best thing of all this is that we have all grown. In the old days we yelled and screamed at each other not because we didn’t like each other; it was more about the passion. We were always arguing about what the album cover should look like or what it should be called, shit like that, you know? It was our passion for the music, not anger towards each other.

Dave had slightly different ideas than Alex and I did. That led him to pursue a solo career. You know how the press can be. They turned it into a mudslinging thing that really never occurred. At least not to the extent that was reported. Where it actually started, nobody knows. Probably some journalist who took something out of context.

What was the best part of the tour?

The best part for me obviously was playing and being onstage with my son and my brother, and of course being back with Dave. It was a fucking blast. Like family playtime. I think the press made a lot bigger to-do about Dave leaving the band than it was. Okay, how do I say this without offending the womenfolk? It’s like any relationship. Everybody has to experiment. Maybe he didn’t want to be married that long. He wanted to try something else. When he realized the marriage was actually good, and maybe missed it a bit, we got back together.

Did Wolfgang actually pick the set list?

Yeah he put it together and we really dug it. But he got a little ticked off halfway through the tour when nobody wanted to change it. I was on his side because it would have been nice to change it up a little. We just didn’t have a long enough break in the tour to rehearse and work upother tunes. It took me a while to re-learn the ones we did play ’cause I hadn’t played ‘em for so many years. I mean, some songs, from the first and second record, I wrote in high school. So it goes way back for me.

Where there any songs that you didn’t play that you wished you could have?

Some new stuff would’ve been nice. But again, everything was in high gear as soon as we decided to do a tour that it would’ve taken time to write, record, mix, master, etc. We wouldn’t have been on tour in 2007-2008. Overall, it was very exciting to play those classics, and I believe that’s what the fans wanted to hear, anyway.

Is there going to be a CD/DVD from the tour ?

We did film and record 7 shows, but we kind of thought, why give people what they just saw? We have it. Maybe later. We just didn’t feel like the timing was right. Why give them exactly what they just saw? Somewhere in the future I’m sure it’ll surface. Maybe, if and when we decide to put everything we have out. Including things like me playing guitar at the 6th grade talent show. There’s all kinds of cool and funny shit we could put out. Who knows, really, when there are so many other things to do first. Like put out some new tunes.

Thanks vhnd.com

DavidLeeNatra
02-18-2009, 03:10 AM
wow...that's what I call "teasing"...

redblkwht
02-18-2009, 03:11 AM
Hey man, thanks for the info! i enjoyed the read for sure..
sounds positive, like i think i knew..
some of you folk should feel better with this interview-

Diamondjimi
02-18-2009, 03:21 AM
We did film and record 7 shows, but we kind of thought, why give people what they just saw? We have it. Maybe later. We just didn’t feel like the timing was right. Why give them exactly what they just saw? Somewhere in the future I’m sure it’ll surface. Maybe, if and when we decide to put everything we have out. Including things like me playing guitar at the 6th grade talent show. There’s all kinds of cool and funny shit we could put out. Who knows, really, when there are so many other things to do first. Like put out some new tunes.

Well finally some talk about VH without the gearwhoring!

hideyoursheep
02-18-2009, 04:44 AM
There is a new interview with Eddie Van Halen in the April 2009 issue of Hustler magazine. Here are some of the highlights where Eddie talks about Van Halen’s 2007-2008 tour:

It was amazing. At first, obviously, Dave doubted that a 15-16 year old could do it. He said, “How’s a 15-year-old kid going to be able to handle standing in front of that many people? Will he be able to sing ? Does he have chops?” That all went out the window after the first rehearsal. (Laughs.) The best thing of all this is that we have all grown. In the old days we yelled and screamed at each other not because we didn’t like each other; it was more about the passion. We were always arguing about what the album cover should look like or what it should be called, shit like that, you know? It was our passion for the music, not anger towards each other.

Dave had slightly different ideas than Alex and I did. That led him to pursue a solo career. You know how the press can be. They turned it into a mudslinging thing that really never occurred. At least not to the extent that was reported. Where it actually started, nobody knows. Probably some journalist who took something out of context.

The best part for me obviously was playing and being onstage with my son and my brother, and of course being back with Dave. It was a fucking blast. I think the press made a lot bigger to-do about Dave leaving the band than it was. Okay, how do I say this without offending the womenfolk? It’s like any relationship. Everybody has to experiment. Maybe he didn’t want to be married that long. He wanted to try something else. When he realized the marriage was actually good, and maybe missed it a bit, we got back together.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MdRqx7bHrrM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MdRqx7bHrrM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I don't believe a word that comes out of that motherfucking guitarplayer's meth-rotted mouth!
:mad0233:

ELVIS
02-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Hey Mr Blackjuju or whatever...

You could have posted the entire article or at least a link...

C'mon man...

Oh, I see...it's vaijuju...

Welcome to the best place on the net...that is of course assuming you're not some queer alias...:biggrin:

:elvis:

vaijuju
02-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Hey Mr Blackjuju or whatever...

You could have posted the entire article or at least a link...

C'mon man...

Oh, I see...it's vaijuju...

Welcome to the best place on the net...that is of course assuming you're not some queer alias...:biggrin:

I said thanks vhnd.com
http://www.vhnd.com/

Here's the link and you must know that vhnd always change his infos :)
Now everybody knows that i'm black(like your president) and i'm french.I'm here not for joking

Full Bug
02-18-2009, 08:55 AM

We did film and record 7 shows, but we kind of thought, why give people what they just saw? We have it. Maybe later. We just didn’t feel like the timing was right. Why give them exactly what they just saw? Somewhere in the future I’m sure it’ll surface. Maybe, if and when we decide to put everything we have out. There’s all kinds of cool and funny shit we could put out. Who knows, really.
----------
Hey Ed, why dont you put out some of the classic VH on DVD first, like anything from the FW tour....
Sorry, lost my head there for a second, like that will ever happen....:rolleyes:

ELVIS
02-18-2009, 08:57 AM
Cool pic, BTW...

http://www.vhnd.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/copyright_matt_bruck.jpg

indeedido
02-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Nice read sans hocking new gear. Silver lining is he knows new tunes need to be made.

Hummarstra
02-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Eddies' wrong: Wolfgang sang like shit. Hurt my ears actually.

ELVIS
02-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Yup...

And the vocals that were clear and in tune were pre-recorded samples...

Same goes for a lot of the bass...

Matt White
02-18-2009, 10:26 AM
GRATE shows....

The WOLF filled the role of "bass-player" well...

75&#37; of CLASSIC VAN HALEN?!?

Yup...KICKED ASS....

new tunes would be KEWL

scottydabodi
02-18-2009, 11:24 AM
I can't believe Ed didn't say "DUUHH!" or "Beer" in the entire article... that's pretty impressive to me!

WACF
02-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Yup...

And the vocals that were clear and in tune were pre-recorded samples...

Same goes for a lot of the bass...

I'll take your word for it on the bass.

Most certainly vocals were piped in....pretty obvious at the show I was at.

Va Beach VH Fan
02-18-2009, 11:41 AM

Yeah he put it together and we really dug it. But he got a little ticked off halfway through the tour when nobody wanted to change it. I was on his side because it would have been nice to change it up a little.

Honestly, I'm more impressed with Wolf more and more... He recognized that the setlist needed changed up, impressive stuff...

Overall, I'm pretty content with that interview, pretty positive stuff....

WACF
02-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Honestly, I'm more impressed with Wolf more and more... He recognized that the setlist needed changed up, impressive stuff...

Overall, I'm pretty content with that interview, pretty positive stuff....

I'm impressed Eddie admited he needed more time to learn his old stuff...

Matt White
02-18-2009, 11:58 AM
I can't believe Ed didn't say "DUUHH!" or "Beer" in the entire article... that's pretty impressive to me!

the return of DA-BODI...KICK ASS

GAR
02-18-2009, 01:05 PM

Maybe, if and when we decide to put everything we have out. Including things like me playing guitar at the 6th grade talent show.

That ground-shattering performance from 1963 must have been too much for Warner Brothers to release, what else could they do but release Van Halen and Van Halen II, cross their fingers and hope for the best.. WHAT A DICK!

GAR
02-18-2009, 01:10 PM
I bet such stellar licks got released via the Bootleg Grapevine in the old reel-to-reel format. George Harrison gets hold of one in '66 shopping in a San Fran fleamarket gets "6th Grade Talent" tape and goes "Hey Eric, I took this lick check it out (plays beginnings of "Birthday") and then Clapton puts the joint out and starts humming ".. hmm hmm, dat-dahh.. lessee 'in a white room / with black curtains' that's a good start innit"

Next thing, we'll discover how EVH wrote the Beatles' White Album and inspired key parts to the most famous Cream hits recorded.

GAR
02-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Cool pic, BTW...

Botox: Helloo, Forehead!

Vinnie Velvet
02-18-2009, 01:59 PM

Jealous?

:D

chefcraig
02-18-2009, 02:10 PM
That ground-shattering performance from 1963 must have been too much for Warner Brothers to release, what else could they do but release Van Halen and Van Halen II, cross their fingers and hope for the best.. WHAT A DICK!

If EVH was born in 1955, he would have been 8 years old in 1963. Not for nothing, yet what mathematical concept lead you to conclude that Ed was in the sixth grade in 1963? And please, show your work.

GAR
02-18-2009, 02:17 PM
..oh and you think EVH has told his true age over the years.

LoungeMachine
02-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Great non-answer, Garicki.

:lol:

:gulp:

scottydabodi
02-18-2009, 02:53 PM
I got 2 words for ya: MATT WHITE!

In other news: F Sam.

scottydabodi
02-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Y'know, I've been checkin out what Ed said about Wolfie getting into Julliard, and I'd like to state for the record that to get into that school, you need to know how to play more than just your dad's guitar licks, and Mikey's bass lines. This kid better be some kind of classical virtuoso with talents that I AIN'T SEEN...

Va Beach VH Fan
02-18-2009, 04:41 PM
C'mon Scotty, give the kid at least some credit, he more than held his own in what had to be a intimidating setting...

GAR
02-18-2009, 04:51 PM
This kid better be some kind of classical virtuoso with talents that I AIN'T SEEN...

Really? What's Steve Vai's excuse then?

Diamondjimi
02-18-2009, 05:10 PM

It's called ,eating solid food again,Dude....

And WTF kinda tailpiece does he have on there ? Looks like one of those shitty old Rockinger's from the 80's.....

Antman
02-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Fuck the interview. I want to see the lesbian action twat shots in the mag.

GAR
02-18-2009, 08:00 PM

And WTF kinda tailpiece does he have on there ? Looks like one of those shitty old Rockinger's from the 80's.....

Correct!

chefcraig
02-18-2009, 08:06 PM
...And WTF kinda tailpiece does he have on there ? Looks like one of those shitty old Rockinger's from the 80's.....

Correct!

I'm a bit confused on this whole "Drop To Hell" tail-piece thing. Initially, I'd believed it was to go beyond merely the two step drop to D (hence the name). Does it now drop the entire bridge, or merely the E string? And why does it look like some ghastly Bigsby set-up that might have fallen off of one of Neil Young's Les Pauls?

GAR
02-18-2009, 08:29 PM
The Rockinger was designed for Les Pauls. It works on the hingepin-valvespring concept familliar to Bigsby trems, so it doesn't float back to a center point properly.

But it's a fast install and to date the only nondestructible, reversible trem mod you can do for a stud-styled stock tailpiece upgrade.

Machining's shitty though - the hinge gap is sloppy and goes side to side very slightly but enough to dink you out of tune just from that alone.

chefcraig
02-18-2009, 08:44 PM
The Rockinger was designed for Les Pauls. It works on the hingepin-valvespring concept familliar to Bigsby trems, so it doesn't float back to a center point properly.

But it's a fast install and to date the only nondestructible, reversible trem mod you can do for a stud-styled stock tailpiece upgrade.

Machining's shitty though - the hinge gap is sloppy and goes side to side very slightly but enough to dink you out of tune just from that alone.

Ah, so it is for a fixed bridge set up. I've never understood why a drop-d tuner could not be installed at the machine-head level, above the nut. All we are talking about is roughly a quarter turn in tension, so why wouldn't a "slipping" machine-head style tuner work? I mean it would be just as effective as turning the head, so why not automate/articulate it directly into the head itself?

GAR
02-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Ah, so it is I've never understood why a drop-d tuner could not be installed at the machine-head level, above the nut.

It can! Hipshot's always had that.. also a luthier named Phil Kubaki before he was bought out by Fender, had this drop-D thing first with his basses.

So if anyone wanted to invalidate EVH's patent on the Dtuna, that's the precedent right there.

Diamondjimi
02-18-2009, 11:10 PM

Not the only one ,I'm afraid...

Stetsbar make a good sturdy, no routing required aftermarket trem.

http://stetsbar.com/images/web.main4.gif

http://stetsbar.com/

GreenBayLA
02-19-2009, 05:04 AM
MAJOR revisionist history alert:

EVH "Dave had slightly different ideas than Alex and I did. That led him to pursue a solo career. You know how the press can be. They turned it into a mudslinging thing that really never occurred. At least not to the extent that was reported. Where it actually started, nobody knows. Probably some journalist who took something out of context."

But point is past was put aside, tour was completed with only a few bad shows (ahem) and they have loose plans for the future.

GreenBayLA
02-19-2009, 05:05 AM
MAJOR revisionist history alert:

EVH "Dave had slightly different ideas than Alex and I did. That led him to pursue a solo career. You know how the press can be. They turned it into a mudslinging thing that really never occurred. At least not to the extent that was reported. Where it actually started, nobody knows. Probably some journalist who took something out of context."

But point is past was put aside, tour was completed with only a few bad shows (ahem) and they have loose plans for the future.

Is there an ECHO in here?

scottydabodi
02-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Really? What's Steve Vai's excuse then?

Vai needs an excuse for what? He never went to Julliard. He's a Berklee guy.

Wolf performed great in an intimidating setting -SERIOUSLY intimidating, but Julliard is primarily a classical school, so I hope he'll get in at the drop of a hat...

scottydabodi
02-19-2009, 04:44 PM

Rockingers?!? UGH!!

GAR
02-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Vai needs an excuse for what? He never went to Julliard. He's a Berklee guy.

Wolf performed great in an intimidating setting -SERIOUSLY intimidating, but Julliard is primarily a classical school, so I hope he'll get in at the drop of a hat...

Oh well then there's hope for him at Berklee!

GAR
02-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Rockingers?!? UGH!!

The Rockingers were cheap, like $75.

the Stetsbar cost is over $200

scottydabodi
02-19-2009, 05:14 PM
The Rockingers were cheap, like $75.

the Stetsbar cost is over $200

I recently played an old Kramer with a Rockinger on it... ain't seen one in a bazillion years, and needless to say, it was wack! Stetsbars were super cool, but I still rock out with Floyds today.

scottydabodi
02-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Oh well then there's hope for him at Berklee!

Wolf already plays better than most of the guys I've seen from Berklee!! He'd crush them.

GAR
02-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Wolf already plays better than most of the guys I've seen from Berklee!! He'd crush them.

Let him crush Berklee then, and stay out of Van Halen.

scottydabodi
02-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Let him crush Berklee then, and stay out of Van Halen.

He can go kick ass at Berklee, then when his old man kicks the bucket, he can take overfor Ed. Like what Blackmore Jr. is doin in "Over the Rainbow".

degüello
03-01-2009, 04:03 PM
It's amazing how much BS Eddie expects to be able to spew and still have people believe it.

Who the fuck will believe his remarks that the whole VH/DLR schism wasn't nasty and it was the press who made it that way, I don't know, but I can't believe he can even utter such crap without laughing or sensing the complete and total bullshit of his remarks.

Seems like the mark of a true alcoholic/addict, ie. a severe deterioration of understanding regarding truth, lies, and the differences between the two. Lying to yourself everyday in such huge ways and for so long a period of time... seems it can all mush together, with the real and unreal eventually becoming indistinguishable.

mdave
03-07-2009, 11:39 AM

The best part for me obviously was playing and being onstage with my son and my brother, and of course being back with Dave. It was a fucking blast. Like family playtime. I think the press made a lot bigger to-do about Dave leaving the band than it was. Okay, how do I say this without offending the womenfolk? It’s like any relationship. Everybody has to experiment. Maybe he didn’t want to be married that long. He wanted to try something else. When he realized the marriage was actually good, and maybe missed it a bit, we got back together.

Yeah he put it together and we really dug it. But he got a little ticked off halfway through the tour when nobody wanted to change it. I was on his side because it would have been nice to change it up a little. We just didn’t have a long enough break in the tour to rehearse and work upother tunes. It took me a while to re-learn the ones we did play ’cause I hadn’t played ‘em for so many years. I mean, some songs, from the first and second record, I wrote in high school. So it goes way back for me.

Where there any songs that you didn’t play that you wished you could have?

Some new stuff would’ve been nice. But again, everything was in high gear as soon as we decided to do a tour that it would’ve taken time to write, record, mix, master, etc. We wouldn’t have been on tour in 2007-2008. Overall, it was very exciting to play those classics, and I believe that’s what the fans wanted to hear, anyway.

Thanks vhnd.com

i was wondering if i was the only one who is annoyed that even after all these years and during a time of peace in the band that ed still has delusions about the breakup.its still dave wanted a solo career and all that bullshit.that dave came back after he realized what he was missing.what bullshit!if dave had his way they would have plowed ahead 25 years ago.i wouldnt wanna sit outside 5150 for 2 years while ed and al drank them selves silly only to finally walk in and sing love walks in and why cant this be love and all that melancholy bullshit.does ed still need to throw in little digs like that even now.ed is 2 thing--1-the greatest guitar who ever lived and 2--the poster child of how years of alcohol abuse can twist ones sense of reality!

chefcraig
03-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Here's the cover...

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/861/ahuttt.jpg (http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ahuttt.jpg)

vaijuju
03-07-2009, 01:39 PM
edit...

Little perv... Ed's interview April not may:)

chefcraig
03-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Little perv... Ed's interview April not may:)

Yeah, I was a bit quick on the trigger there. Hence the edit. :duh:

And that's Huge Perv to you, pal. http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-happy-smileys-312.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Sexy-Smileys/)

Full Bug
03-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Its not much, but Dave chimed in on this as well....

Amazingly, the mighty VH launched its ten month long tour in late 2007 that brought David Lee Roth back to the group for the first time in 22 years, but the only sounds were made on the stage each night as it crossed the country for some 70 odd shows while grossing in excess of $90 million. Other than the press conference that announced the tour, no one was talking.

“Just know this —- we are a band, and we will continue,” said Eddie then. “It’s a whole new beginning.”

Roth echoed Eddie’s sentiments.

“There’s a high standard here,” he said. “This is not like the Police; the idea is that this will continue on and on and on. And we’re all together with this.”

vaijuju
03-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Here's the cover...

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/861/ahuttt.jpg (http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ahuttt.jpg)

mmm!!! thanks

Nitro Express
03-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Take Mike away and you realize quick the guy actually did something in that band. Where are his wonderful vocals and sweet Ampeg tone? Mike was a key element to the classic VH sound. I miss Mike and he got fucked.

mdave
03-12-2009, 07:50 PM
true that nitro express---nothing can ever be perfect with the great VH and Mike was missed badly---he certainly got fucked but if it wasnt for the kid talking some sense into the old man we wouldnt have even had the tour we did.It sucks but thats par for the course,no?

Matt White
03-12-2009, 10:16 PM
MIKE made his choice....FUCK 'EM

degüello
03-13-2009, 07:29 AM
Those are old remarks from DLR at the start of the tour; I don't think they're in response to this newer EVH interview.

Its not much, but Dave chimed in on this as well....

Amazingly, the mighty VH launched its ten month long tour in late 2007 that brought David Lee Roth back to the group for the first time in 22 years, but the only sounds were made on the stage each night as it crossed the country for some 70 odd shows while grossing in excess of $90 million. Other than the press conference that announced the tour, no one was talking.

“Just know this —- we are a band, and we will continue,” said Eddie then. “It’s a whole new beginning.”

Roth echoed Eddie’s sentiments.

“There’s a high standard here,” he said. “This is not like the Police; the idea is that this will continue on and on and on. And we’re all together with this.”

Nickdfresh
03-13-2009, 08:56 AM
MIKE made his choice....FUCK 'EM

You can hate Mike all you want; but he had no more say in the matter than Dave did 1986-2006...

It wasn't his choice to be (almost) photoshopped off the albums either...

Matt White
03-13-2009, 09:21 AM
You can hate Mike all you want; but he had no more say in the matter than Dave did 1986-2006...

It wasn't his choice to be (almost) photoshopped off the albums either...

I don't hate MIKE....

He should have stood up to the sisters ages ago...back around FAIR WARNING...when the Billy Sheehan rumors started to swirl....should have called their bluff & threratened to bail...not taken a pay-cut & reduced to "employee" status.....

He'll do fine without the VAN HALEN soap opera...he's the most "normal" & well adjusted of the bunch...how long has he been married to the same chick?

He's actually the "Charlie Watts" of VAN HALEN...they all hate him but secretly wish they had his life....

Nitro Express
03-13-2009, 11:54 AM
What would you rather have. The great Michael Anthony or some kid who has to be turned down in the mix and have pre-recorded parts? Plus Wolfie isn't even a cool looking kid. He looks like the kid that smells like ass and eats your hamburger and fries when you leave to take a piss.