PDA

View Full Version : Auto Parts Manufacturers down the drain

Hardrock69
02-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Just got word. My company just got done doing some work for the owner of THE top metal plating company in the business.

Holley (maker of fine carburators for decades) eliminated an entire department Monday, forced everyone else to take a drastic pay cut AND pay for ALL their own insurance, but they say the company will still probably go under.

Edelbrock, and one other company are possibly going down as well.

Not a big fan of cars, but I have witnessed their stuff in action since I was a little chillen.

Fucking sucks.

chefcraig
02-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Locally, Crane Cams closed their doors as well. For the nitwits that refer to this as a mild recession, I beg to differ.

Report: Crane Cams Closing Its Doors After 56 Years in Aftermarket Performance

After 56 years of business, Crane Cams is closing, according to recent reports. The company was well-known for its performance aftermarket accessories, including electronic ignition systems and camshafts, especially in the classic American and Muscle Car segment.

This surprised some familiar with the company, which three years ago had 220 employees.

"They were considering a transfer of ownership," said Rich Michael, Volusia County economic development director, to the News-Journal. "We were not expecting any closure."

On its Web site, Crane Cams lists General Motors, Ford, and "DamlerChrysler Corporation [sic]" as clients. With the Detroit Three trying to adapt to a shrinking U.S. auto market, Crane Cams has surely been affected, as well.

No company representative of Crane Cams or its parent company, Mikronite, could be reached by the newspaper, which found out about the layoffs and closure from a Crane Cams worker.

Crane Cams' latest troubles serve as yet another reminder of how great an impact the contraction of the auto industry is having on companies across the U.S.

http://wot.motortrend.com/6460399/auto-news/report-crane-cams-closing-its-doors-after-56-years-in-aftermarket-performance/index.html

LoungeMachine
02-26-2009, 03:12 PM
In other news: Buggy Whip Manufacturers have taken a hit lately.

After market Muscle Car parts were bound to be hit hard by this.

It's time to look forward with regards to jobs, not back.

Just my opinion.

:gulp:

hideyoursheep
02-27-2009, 03:23 AM
There are fewer and fewer of them out there, but this is going to make getting parts for that old rail harder.....if anyone still has one.