Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Rock Stars Help Sheriff Fighting Leukemia

Rock royalty helping raise funds for stricken deputy
    By Susan Abram, Staff Writer
    Updated: 02/25/2009 10:09:23 PM PST

Matt Sorum, the drummer for Velvet Revolver shows some of the items being auctioned on eBay to raise funds for Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Deputy Robert Corrales.
    Some of rock music's biggest names have donated autographed guitars and percussion equipment to help a Southland sheriff's deputy who is fighting acute myeloid leukemia.

Money raised from the auction will help cover the medical expenses of Robert Corrales, who has been a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy for nearly a quarter-century.

The autographed instruments, which are being auctioned on eBay through Monday, include Alex Van Halen's brass snare drum, from his personal kit, and a drum head signed by Alex, Eddie and Wolfgang Van Halen.

Rush drummer Neil Peart donated an autographed DW drum head.

"Several of rock 'n' roll's royalty immediately stepped up," said sheriff's Deputy Mike Ascolese. He and Deputy John Maio organized the fundraiser.

Paul Stanley of KISS gave an autographed Silvertone guitar, while Slash, Matt Sorum, Duff McKagan and Dave Kushner from Velvet Revolver each signed an Epiphone guitar that had been donated by the Guitar Center's Dave Weiderman.

Corrales, who grew up in San Fernando and Pacoima, was diagnosed with leukemia last April.

Several drives have been held to look for a bone-marrow donor, but a suitable match has not yet been found because of his unusual Mexican-Chinese ancestry, organizers say.

Ninety percent of the auction proceeds will help Corrales, while 10 percent will be donated to the T.J. Martell Foundation, which is trying to find cures for leukemia, cancer, and AIDS.

The eBay auction-location numbers are: 290297815805, 290297821537, 290297834030, 290297835083, 290297837043, 290297839393.

For more information, call Ascolese at (818) 374-2121.

Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • twonabomber
    formerly F A T
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Ed sez "hey, i used to play drums!"
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Any word yet on the sick kid that we had a thread going on? I hope Eddie steps up, and I'm glad the Van Halen's did for this sheriff. Good going and major props to all who did.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

Pics will only stay up until 30 days after eBay auction ends, but for now here it is.

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Working...