PDA

View Full Version : Your Filthy Little Mouth released 15 years ago today.

WARF
03-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Let's talk about the truely under appreciated disc from David Lee Roth.
How much did you like the album when you bought it?
How much do you like it today?
Personally, I think this album showcases DLR's songwriting prowess, better than any of his other solo albums to date.

So Let's talk YFLM! :hitch:

Sarge
03-08-2009, 05:38 PM
I remember going into the record store and asking several times when this album was being released.
It was delayed several times. People laughed at me when I asked about when the latest David Lee Roth cd was coming out.

It ended up being released the same day as the new Motley Crue album.
The one with John Corabi as the lead singer.
The record store I bought the cd from the manager told me. That cd is being released the same day as the new Crue album... I wonder which one is going to chart higher? And laughed.
I was seriously pissed!

Anyways, I remember seeing the video on MTV 1 time. I thought it was very cool.
Once I got internet access in 1996-1997 I started searching for the video online so I could see it again. And here we are now...

I was very underwhelmed with the CD. It is such a contrast from the DLRBAND cd, that was just a few years later. I will say that the CD grew on me, but it took a few years.

I have wanted to interview Nile Rogers for this website and ask him about recording Dave etc..

I caught the tour in Orlando, Florida. They put on a good show. The place was packed!

15 years is a long time!

Breasts,

Sarge
03-08-2009, 05:45 PM
I also listened to the album premiere on the Radio.
Those were some good times.

Does anyone care about YFLM? It seems like most peoples least favorite DLR Released.. well besides the Bluegrass Running with the Devil thing..

twonabomber
03-08-2009, 06:09 PM
I caught the tour in Orlando, Florida. They put on a good show. The place was packed!

oddly enough this is the one Dave tour i skipped. can't remember why i decided not to go.

i guess i've made up for it with all the DLR/VH road trips.

vaijuju
03-08-2009, 06:17 PM
I like "No big "Ting", "Sunburn" but not my best, Like the LP "Night Life" with live performances "she's my machine","Panama", "Big Train" "Experience" in 1994, Dave's voice was tired.

indeedido
03-08-2009, 06:46 PM
I remember listening to the world premiere on the radio too at the time. It is an ok album, the music is kinda generic. No real tone to speak of. Lyrically good, just musically bland. No Big Ting sounded cool on my JL Audio subs in my car at the time.

Andy Taylor
03-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Agreed with that. ^ Giving it a spin now anyway.

Va Beach VH Fan
03-08-2009, 07:12 PM
I see someone has been reading "This Day in CVH/DLR History"..... :D

thome
03-08-2009, 07:17 PM
This was and still is one of my favorite -albums- by anyone...-a thome thing- I used to do when drinking was to ...

put the CD of YFLM on my main stereo ....CRANKED..... and the Cassette (I also had) on my Sony Boom Box at the other end of my house ....CRANKED .... I had lots of fun running from one end of the house to the other using this set up to get just the right amount of delay...I made the whole house like a rock show depending on where I stood

I cannot tell you how cool it sounds try it ...

the tonality is just remarkable...the house just comes alive...I doubt it would work on one system with speakers in other parts of the house you need two different components..lol

perhaps i am MADD I TELL YOU MADD! Ahahahahh aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhahhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaa AAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

hideyoursheep
03-08-2009, 09:43 PM
It lacked the hard edge to get me interested.

DLR band on the other hand, fucking slayed.

WARF
03-08-2009, 10:24 PM
It's really a shame they didn't include Land's Edge on the cd from the, "She's My Machine" single.

Onofrio
03-09-2009, 02:21 AM
I skipped school (11th grade) to buy this album the day it came out. My buddy came with and bought the Motley album. I loved this album then and I love it now. Big Train is one of my all time favorite DLR solo songs. Everybody's got the monkey is pretty generic and cheatin heart cafe sucks, (good lyrics tho). I prefer albums like DLR band but every time I play this one I remember why I like it. This tour was the first time I saw DLR (Chicago, at the metro, front and center motherfucker!) and I was floored. I saw him again later in the tour at the star plaza in merrillville IN, and again he was (as always) unbeatable. Far and away his worst touring band, however.

Also, Lands Edge was included, it's Mississippi Power from the She's my Machine single that is not.

DLR7884
03-09-2009, 02:34 AM
I prefer YFLM to Skyscraper as a whole. Skyscraper's good songs are better, but the bad ones are way worse.

Some of my favorites-Experience, Night Life, and You're Breathin' It (not the shitty hip hop version)....all great songs and all are underrated.

DLR7884
DLR Band kicked the dick off this album.

binnie
03-09-2009, 03:19 AM
A hit and miss album.

Some people think it's 'Dave-lite' but I enjoyed the more laid back groove, and when it works there is a great vibe coming from the speakers.

Then 'No Big Ting' kicks in and I want to vomit.

DavidLeeNatra
03-09-2009, 04:11 AM
To me one of my all-time-favorite albums ever...the best lyrics dave ever delivered...a far better album then skyscraper (the one I don't listen to anymore these days). If I have to say something negative about it, it's Dave's voice...he wasn't in his best shape when he recorded it...

I was never the "Dave needs to put out a kick ass hard rocking blow your speakers album"-listener anyway...

jero
03-09-2009, 09:39 AM
She needed classical music
Or she couldn't make love at all
And I was up there frequently
And bringin' down the walls
Drop dead bombshell
Clean-cut classy gal
She was a good pal
And if you turned up the volume
You could hear the demons call
"Fuck me like Chopin
Or don't fuck me at all

Vinnie Velvet
03-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Much of my memories of this album are like what Sarge said.

I too remember asking at the record store when the new David Lee Roth album was coming out. Some dude at the counter was like "what??" LOL.This was a tough time for any rock star/band whose best years were in the 80s. 1994 was a time when metal/hard rock was laughed at and mocked. But I was still listening to it and didn't care.

Anyhow, I heard most of it on the radio premiere and of course seeing the She's My Machine video.

I liked Machine a lot. Had a cool vibe to it. I just wasn't with this 'new' direction from Dave. It was too much of a departure. I guess I wanted another EEAS album, but that was not to be.

There are still a few more cuts from the album that I still like (Big train, Nightlife, Sunburn).

This also marked the first time Dave cut his hair, so that took getting used to.

What I really hated about this period is how Dave sang either Jump or Panama live. I remember hearing it on the radio and Dave was yelling and yelping in that god-awful high register (like he does in She's My Machine - "yeah-yeah...oh-whoo-oh-whoo yeah..").

An interesting period for Dave nevertheless.

Seshmeister
03-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Roth played quite a lot of music from YFLM(about the only music of his own he played) on his radio show so he still likes it.

GAR
03-09-2009, 01:35 PM
I believe that diesel truck used in My Machine was also featured in "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" and a couple science fiction B flicks, is up on a fence wall in Sun Valley at Pick Your Part Auto Wreckers.

78/84 guy
03-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Album sucked for my Dave standards, but it had some cool tunes, I think half of it should have been released in EP format or something. As far as it being Dave's best writing that's laughable !!! See a Album's titled Fair Warning, 1984 & Eat Em & Smile !!! The band he had with him on tour was god awful that I saw in MN. Thought his career was over unless he got Vai back or Ed called him !!! Was a good time but................. DLR Band CD I think saved him somewhat. I still love that disc.

drgong
03-09-2009, 10:15 PM
.. i dunno, remember when it came out & I was very disappointed, still am today, apart from one song; Sunburn. I still believe this is one of Dave´s very best songs (solo career) Every time I play it to someone who hasn´t heard it before, I get an instant reaction, people really like the smooth half-jazzy vibe to it & no one believes it´s Dave. It could have become a very popular song in the right circuits.
That song deserves a lot more credit than it ever got, the rest of the album though, is a disaster. Personally I think it´s embarrassing. But opinions are like assholes..

GreenBayLA
03-10-2009, 04:01 AM
I know Dave was trying something new but it just didn't cut it for me. I traded in the CD years ago. :hitch:

DavidLeeNatra
03-10-2009, 04:13 AM
I know Dave was trying something new but it just didn't cut it for me. I traded in the CD years ago. :hitch:

you'll burn in hell and will be condemned there to listen to "Why can't this be love" 24/7...there are cardinal sins out there...

:devils:

ThatArtGuy
03-10-2009, 04:41 PM
YFLM musically isn't one of Dave's best, but lyrically it's a masterpiece.

Coyote
03-10-2009, 06:41 PM
YFLM works great for those hot summer days, especially bbq's...

hideyoursheep
03-11-2009, 05:12 AM
Now that I'm older, and a bit more patient, I will attempt to re-discover it.

Seshmeister
03-11-2009, 06:04 AM
You're probably too old now. :)

scottydabodi
03-11-2009, 11:33 AM
I agree that this album was kinda hit & miss... there are some good tracks, and some seriously mediocre ones... but in the grand scheme of 1994, we all gotta remember that the whole "Grunge" BS had made it so UNCOOL to be a COOL rocker, that it was impossible to even TRY to put out a great hard rock album that had any fun to it... If you were trying to have a good time in the 90's rock scene, you were cast out like yesterday's newspaper. And forget about trying to pick up some hot rock sluts at a show -they magically disappeared in 1992. But I digress... this cd is ok, and the tour was ok, but fast forward 3 years to "DLR Band" for some really kick ass tunes. I didn't like Terry Kilgore that much either... he can't play any of the Vai/VH stuff with any degree of authority... let alone Becker material.

FORD
03-14-2009, 04:16 PM
I've always appreciated great lyrics, and in that respect, it was Dave at his best.

Musically.... well, after Van Halen's breakup, Vai only lasting two records, and Jason Becker having to bow out due to illness, maybe Dave just got sick of looking for hot shit guitar players for a while? The result was the most un-VanHalenish music to date, and that shocked a lot of people. But in terms of the attitude, it's still pure Dave.

And a much better fucking album than Van Hagar's "Balance" any goddamned day of the week!

FORD
03-14-2009, 04:20 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EzlgZEe_-bU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EzlgZEe_-bU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

degüello
03-14-2009, 05:19 PM
This album has the most cringe-inducing moments of any DLR solo album.

Much of it causes me to look at the floor in shame if it comes up while listening on shuffle. In fact, I removed it from my iPod for that very reason. It's an embarrassment and an abomination.

The only reason I can think that Dave would put out such bizarre and weak material as exists on YFLM is that his quality-control abilities were being severely distorted/hampered by heavy coke use.

degüello
03-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Having said that, I do find the album fascinating to listen to, in a stare-out-the-window-at-a-massive-car-wreck kind of way.

03-15-2009, 10:32 AM
What was it like in 1994, when the album came, what did you think of Dave`s new album and look?

twonabomber
03-15-2009, 11:16 AM
the look doesn't have any effect on what's on the disc.

SNIPER
03-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Wow... Thats weird! I have problems getting to sleep takes me about an hour and last night I spun that very disc at bedtime. Made it through the whole CD. I like that cd alot. But it is Daves Diver Down.

degüello
03-15-2009, 12:31 PM
What was it like in 1994, when the album came, what did you think of Dave`s new album and look?

To be honest, Dave was almost completely off my radar at that point.

I remember seeing the video for "She's My Machine" late at night, after partying pretty hard, and thinking, "Whoa... weird... didn't know DLR was doin' anything lately..." and then rolling over and sleeping, or filling the bong, or pouring a drink...

Didn't even hear the whole album until probably 7-8 years later, when I started unearthing some of his unheard solo work, for some perverse reason.

katie
03-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Let's talk about the truely under appreciated disc from David Lee Roth.
How much did you like the album when you bought it?
How much do you like it today?
Personally, I think this album showcases DLR's songwriting prowess, better than any of his other solo albums to date.

So Let's talk YFLM! :hitch:

I don't like this album, a real low point in Roth's career.

This was the album that got him dropped by warners and rightly so, he had run out of ideas and all his band members were fans of past band members etc, so non of them had any original ideas either.

Vegas ahead......

X

WARF
03-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Vegas was Roth's biggest abomination to Rock Music...IMO... not YFLM.

I think it really cheapened his act, overall.

I wonder if it was at a buffet bar... with a little sign... oh and by the way...

We got a musical parody of David Lee Roth in the back... with his karaoke band...

katie
03-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Vegas was Roth's biggest abomination to Rock Music...IMO... not YFLM.

I think it really cheapened his act, overall.

I wonder if it was at a buffet bar... with a little sign... oh and by the way...

We got a musical parody of David Lee Roth in the back... with his karaoke band...

The idea was a different angle, but the show and the stage production just plain sucked.

Time to suck eggs again,

Ring, ring...ring, ring...Hello is that Ed, Hi it's me Dave......

Next stop MTV

hideyoursheep
03-15-2009, 09:07 PM
:deadhorse:

julesk
03-24-2009, 08:23 AM
lose the 4th octave and it was a pretty colourful album..maybe too colourful as dave almost seems desperate to have "all the flavours" covered in order to get a hit...I enjoyed it more than ALAE. after Skyscraper didn't do as well as Dave thought it would (my fav though) each album thereafter seemed to try too hard to be a hit....

bantonelli
04-05-2009, 01:34 AM
Under appreciated is an understatement. Experience Rocks!...among others.

Weeksy Lee Roth
04-06-2009, 09:42 AM
I remember watching a Beavis and Butthead episode and Dave's video for She's My Machine came on.

They were scratching their heads trying to fighure it out and then all of a sudden Butthead says "I think it's David Lee Roth!"

Then Beavis goes, "No Way! Where's all the chicks??"

sonrisa salvaje
04-07-2009, 08:57 PM
I remember seeing a thread a while back that questioned what Dimebag Dave's worst song was. It seems like most people said No Big Ting for some reason. I thought that was a cool track. At the time, i got the same reaction at the record store but in a different way. I remember some guy saying She's My Machine sucked and it pissed me off. I still come back to this cd for some good memories. I agree that there are hit and miss moments but it is still a good record. He was looking for a different direction because ALAE only went gold and the tour was cancelled for lack of sales. Why wouldn't he try something new? Now don't get me wrong. DLRB blew any and everything out of the water except for EAS. However, i can't believe there are people that traded this in or don't have it in their Roth catelog. They out to be run off the website.

degüello
04-07-2009, 09:06 PM
I remember watching a Beavis and Butthead episode and Dave's video for She's My Machine came on.

They were scratching their heads trying to fighure it out and then all of a sudden Butthead says "I think it's David Lee Roth!"

Then Beavis goes, "No Way! Where's all the chicks??"

That's about sums it up. :D