PDA

View Full Version : Black Label Society 3/7/09 Reno, Nv (Review)

atomicpunk5151
03-09-2009, 03:05 PM
I used to have a Zakk/BLS thread over DDLR.com to talk about what Zakk Wylde has been up to lately. Vids, reviews & setlists. Also, mostly just Sesh & Twon & the DDLR crew talking about their love/hate of "Pinch Harmonics"...lol! Looks like Binnie is the only one here at the Army that follows Zakk much.

Anyways I caught BLS in concert this weekend up in Reno, NV. It was the 2nd show of the new tour (SF was opening night).

Great show. Pretty good sound. Band & Zakk were in very good spirits. Craig was said to be sick. The venue was a dive. Aprrox 750 people at the show.

Very nice to see a new set list, but still...throw me a bone and play something off Stronger Than Death.

They went on pretty late at just after 11pm. Sirens then...

Black Mass Rev. Good opener. Better live then I remember it on the STH tour.

Destruction Overdrive (One of my favorites)
Faith is Blind
The Rose Petalled Garden (DAMN, now were are talking, finally a song from Sonic Brew)
Genocide Junkies (Damn another great one from 1919)
Give yourself to me
Suicide Messiah (Great crowd response)

Zakk on Piano with Nick & JD electric gtr & bass
Damage is Done (rarely played live)
In This river

Fire it Up
Zakk solo with Star Spang Banner & a bit of Randy's spotlight solo

Zakk & Nick with 12 string/6 string
Long intro
The Blessed Hellride

Stoned & Drunk
Conrete Jungle
Stillborn (Crowd favorite)

ended about 1am.

Good times, check'em out this tour if you get a chance.

Jeff
NorCal

WACF
03-09-2009, 03:43 PM
March 20th I get my chance.

Sold out venue...approx 1000 capacity...they coulda booked bigger.

I am not too thrilled with Dope opening though....

binnie
03-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Cool review. BLS is a great live band.

I'm a big Zakk fan, but feel he's overdoing the BLS thing now. He needs to mix it up. 'Pride & Glory' was a great record, and BLS was cool for the first five years: straight out, balls ahead metal.

'Sonic Brew' was an awesome, awesome record that blew out of the speakers. Since then, however, the sounds has become less bass heavy. 'Blessed Hell Ride' was a killer record too, but 'Mafia' singled a decline IMO.

He needs to really impress on the next record, or he runs into danger of self parody - last time I saw him with Ozzy he put so many pinch harmonics into the songs that he killed them, they sounded so busy.

BITEYOASS
03-09-2009, 04:30 PM
So does Limp Bizkit still suck cock? I hope he said that, especially since those fuckin wiggers came back! :mad:

indeedido
03-09-2009, 10:43 PM
I love the Pride and Glory album. I still rock it out. I see he has another greatest hits album coming out. No new album?

atomicpunk5151
03-09-2009, 11:18 PM
I love the Pride and Glory album. I still rock it out. I see he has another greatest hits album coming out. No new album?

ZAkk/BLS has a greatest hits cd/dvd package coming out in April with tracks from Pride & Glory, Book of Shadows + the BLS stuff 99-07. The cd also has 2 unreleased acoustic songs from the Hellride era (Hellride & Stillborn) + acoustic Spoke in the Wheel. The dvd has all the videos plus some Live shit and some at home funny shit.

The new BLS cd with new music should be out in Fall 09. The new Ozzy cd is looking like Feb/March 2010.

binnie
03-10-2009, 03:18 AM
I'm guessing that the new Ozzy CD will suck balls. Gotta respect Ozzy for still wanting to make new music, he could so easily just continue the 'Greatest Hits' tours. But his later albums have been awful.