PDA

View Full Version : Youtube cutting Britain from music videos

Panamark
03-09-2009, 08:29 PM
YOUTUBE will block all music videos from being viewed by users in Britain after it was unable to reach a deal with a royalty collection group.

The world's largest video sharing website said PRS for Music, a British collection society that collects royalties on behalf of nearly 50,000 composers, was asking it to pay "many, many times" more than the previous licensing agreement that expired.

"The costs are simply prohibitive for us – under PRS's proposed terms, we would lose significant amounts of money with every playback," the company said.

The move is the latest sign of the tension between YouTube and the music industry.

It also indicates that YouTube is resolving to keep operating costs under control as it strives to generate profits for owner Google.

YouTube said PRS was unclear about which songs would be included in the renewed license.

"We've been talking to them for a long time and we're still talking to them," said Patrick Walker, YouTube director of video partnerships for Europe, Middle East and Africa.

al of Sydney Mr Walker described it as a "painful decision".

But PRS disputed YouTube's version of events and said it was caught by surprise by the announcement in the middle of ongoing negotiations.

"We were shocked and disappointed to receive a call late this afternoon informing us of Google's drastic action," said PRS for Music chief executive Steve Porter.

PRS said in a statement it was "outraged" on behalf of consumers and songwriters by YouTube's move.

"Google has told us they are taking this step because they wish to pay significantly less than at present to the writers of the music on which their service relies, despite the massive increase in YouTube viewing," the London-based organisation said.

The PRS statement pointed out that Google saw its revenue grow to $US5.7 billion ($9 billion) in the last quarter. The figure will likely be juxtaposed against the fast dwindling fortunes of the music industry.

Some rights-holders argue YouTube should pay a higher fee or share more advertising revenue since many users come to watch their music videos.

The deal between YouTube and PRS is separate from YouTube's relationships with major record companies, which have also been strained at times.

YouTube and the music industry have had an awkward but mutually beneficial partnership.

On one hand, label executives acknowledge that the popular video site is the way many people discover new music, especially as the power of radio and MTV wanes.

But with the industry seeing plunging CD sales, the labels hope that YouTube will also serve as a key revenue source.

Panamark
03-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Link

YouTube to block all music videos in UK | News | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,28348,25164879-5014239,00.html)

Panamark
03-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Oh no, no more british youtubes from Andy !!!

Have to say this sucks for all our mates from the
UK :(

Andy Taylor
03-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Holy shit! First WMG's removal of vids now this. They'll still not take my mp3's.

Andy Taylor
03-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Oh no, no more british youtubes from Andy !!!

Have to say this sucks for all our mates from the
UK :(

I could copy paste the url here without watching myself.:biggrin:

Panamark
03-09-2009, 09:25 PM
I could copy paste the url here without watching myself.:biggrin:

You can be like me with your youtubes:tongue0011:

Andy Taylor
03-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Yeah...

Panamark
03-09-2009, 09:36 PM
This is a worry, possibly a precedent for the rest of us ??

Andy Taylor
03-09-2009, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't be surprised. If WMG's doing it then others could follow. Neil Young has been whining on his site about how youtube is a rip off and hurts artists ... boohoo. In the pre-internet age I would never have bought more than 2-3 albums for most artists but now it's close to whole catalouges. The Metallica types just can't admit their songs suck.

Panamark
03-09-2009, 10:41 PM
The Metallica Albums that were good, I purchased.
Last one was the Black Album...
Strangely enough I think I have their whole
catalog as relatives and well meaning friends
keep buying me later releases (some still have the
plastic wrapping). Another well meaning relative
bought me Live without a Net knowing I liked
Van Halen. (I blame incorrect labelling on the DVD,
clearly it should have been labelled "Van Hagar")
Worst part was I had to unwrap it and pretend
that it was cool... I think I will keep it for those
nights when guests dont take the hint that its
time to go home ! Put that sucker on the sound
system and the joint will be clear in no time...

binnie
03-10-2009, 03:35 AM
This is pretty shitty.

I wonder how much they were asking for?

Coyote
03-10-2009, 05:30 AM
This is pretty shitty.

I wonder how much they were asking for?

If they were being reasonable, I'll bet it was standard wages.

Seshmeister
03-10-2009, 05:57 AM
The PRS statement pointed out that Google saw its revenue grow to $US5.7 billion ($9 billion) in the last quarter.

I smell a rat there - Google's revenue when they should be talking about YouTubes profits.

This is all bullshit, music on YouTube is promotion not something in itself. You don't not buy an album because you can watch a postage stamp sized video of the single. You don't buy an album because you can listen for nothing on Spotify or steal it from Rapidshare, Megaupload or get it on a torrent.

Mr Badguy
03-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Is this just for pro shot videos or all music content?

I mainly go on Youtube to see footage from gigs I was at from punters camera phones.

I don`t get them doing this.

Should they then ban MTV, VH1 etc. showing promos in case we video record them.

Then what?

Stop playing songs on the radio?

Also, a lot of the videos you search for aren`t widely available.

Andy Taylor
03-10-2009, 09:53 AM
The greedy mind thinks all of this is lost profit. Youtube shouldn't have to pat any royalties at all for this. It gets people into more music and are encouraged to purchase as long as they sense that the artist is not a money hungry twat counting every dime. Where else do these artists get much exposure? They should be paying youtube.

Hellraiser!!
03-11-2009, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't be surprised. If WMG's doing it then others could follow. Neil Young has been whining on his site about how youtube is a rip off and hurts artists ... boohoo. In the pre-internet age I would never have bought more than 2-3 albums for most artists but now it's close to whole catalouges. The Metallica types just can't admit their songs suck.

heheh exactly, that's the truth!!!

Panamark
03-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Is this just for pro shot videos or all music content?

I mainly go on Youtube to see footage from gigs I was at from punters camera phones.

I don`t get them doing this.

Should they then ban MTV, VH1 etc. showing promos in case we video record them.

Then what?

Stop playing songs on the radio?

Also, a lot of the videos you search for aren`t widely available.

Good question,

It kinda sounds like official vids only ?
Unless they argue that the others were illegally obtained somehow ?
Even if its just the first scenario, its still fucked ....