Who uses a POD or SansAmp and goes direct because they don't want to carry heavy shit

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Who uses a POD or SansAmp and goes direct because they don't want to carry heavy shit

I'm getting lazy. I find myself using a SansAmp PSA and going direct than carry a bunch of heavy amps and speaker cabs around. I'll admit I use in ear monitors sometimes as well because fuck it, less shit to carry. Stacks are great if you have roadies. LOL! I mean the drum kit is bad enough and if the bass player gets a SVT and 8x10 he can fucking move that refrigerator himself. LOL!
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!
  • Coyote
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

I have a 50/50 thing going...

My Trademark 60 has a SansAmp-style D.I. built in.
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
      I have a 50/50 thing going...

My Trademark 60 has a SansAmp-style D.I. built in.
      Les Paul uses that same amp. Andrew Barta designs some great sounding practical stuff that's quality. I really get some great old Fender sounds from my Strat through the SansAmp and it's good for overdriven stuff. It just is different from a real tube amp. It's kind of a solid state and tube feel combined. They really are their own thing but in a good way.

Comment

• Panamark
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

I could see how using POD direct would be very convenient.
        But I've never been 100% happy with the POD's tone..
        I dont play live anymore, but if I did, I would make sure
        somebody else carried the Marshall around
        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

We've started doing it for pre-production recording, it just makes life so much easier.

I have a mixing desk, a Roland electronic kit and PA hooked up to a PC. We just DI everything and use PODs for the guitars. It saves lots of hassle, you get a complete sound and no one needs to bring anything apart from their guitars.

The best thing is it allows you to record everything live without having to wear headphones or worry about noise spillage across mikes. Even better you have complete control over the volume so can have great jams in the early hours.

Comment

• Panamark
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Yeah, I could see the POD in that role being perfect.
            Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Do you have the XT now Mr Sesh ?
              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• GAR
                Banned
                • Jan 2004

I have a mixing desk, a Roland electronic kit and PA hooked up to a PC.
                Which Roland? They're pretty good. Alesis are toys by comparison, but they work for cheap!

Comment

• GAR
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                  Les Paul uses that same amp.
                  When you're old as fuck like Les Paul you don't really give a shit how you sound like so long as you still can play!

I've been working very hard to replace my 8 cabs lost 5 years ago in a theft. I'm almost done! Nothing is like a 12 foot wall of distortion.. nothign!

Comment

• Coyote
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                    It just is different from a real tube amp. It's kind of a solid state and tube feel combined. They really are their own thing but in a good way.
                    As much as I hate to admit it... I've been playing the Laney less and less ever since I got the Trademark.

Honeymoon period, I guess...
                    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by GAR
                      Which Roland? They're pretty good. Alesis are toys by comparison, but they work for cheap!
                      TD6.

Like the pods it's not perfect and we won't be using it when we go into the studio properly but for what we're doing its perfect.

I realised one day that I don't want to be a producer or engineer. Usually when you do home recording only 1% of the time is actually playing and half the time you're trying to stop a headphone cable falling across your guitar or some shit.

I've now got it to the point where 95% of the time we are playing. I don't even bother putting effects on or doing anything during the mixdown apart spending 30 seconds setting levels.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Panamark
                        Do you have the XT now Mr Sesh ?
                        No just a Floor Pod.

My bro got so into the Line 6 thing he went out and bought one of their combo amps and I have to say it sounds pretty fucking good.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                          I could see how using POD direct would be very convenient.
                          But I've never been 100% happy with the POD's tone..
                          I dont play live anymore, but if I did, I would make sure
                          somebody else carried the Marshall around
                          The problem with digital modeling is it loses something when cranked up. It's a cool concept but personally I have a mental dislike for something that cuts the pickup sine wave into bianary code and fucks with it. I like the Sansamp because it's analog.

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Fuck a POD!

I still use my trusty all tube analog ADA MP1 into a Behringer V-Amp Pro (which sounds better than a POD by itself) into a BBE Max-X3 stereo Sonic Maximizer and three way crossover into an M Box mic preamp for my computer and also into a Fender Hot Rod deluxe, A 73 marshall Super Lead and a 72 Ampeg B25B bass amp which is one of the best amps ive ever played straight into...

In stereo I can make it swirl around your head, but I usually play in mono...

But local guitarist friends around here say I have the best tone they've ever heard, professional or not...

But the ADA is really the source of the tone. The rest just shapes it...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I would never argue with the limitations of the pod thing but it's ideal for what we're doing at the moment.

As far as your sound goes I wish you would send me something for once.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...