• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

AIG Institutes Damage Control

Michael Bush AdAge.Com

In other words, in a business built on trust, such as insurance, there's no easy PR fix for AIG's consumer business -- and maybe no fix at all. "There is a spillover from the general image problems to their consumer business, because it makes consumers wonder about the viability of the company," Mr. Denzenhall said. "Insurance generally is such a visceral thing that if you thought the chances were one in 100 that your policy wouldn't be there, why wouldn't you just play it safe and go to another provider?"

Mr. Dezenhall said this is not a typical situation in which a company can go out and hire a PR firm and launch a campaign and website. "This is so beyond that and so much more at a strategic and policy level that before you can even think about tactical outreach, you have to remove the malignancy first," he said.

He said a marketing campaign of any sort is not the answer. "Contrary to what my compadres in the crisis sector will preach, an ad campaign featuring little girls with flowers and talking about how much AIG cares about the consumers is a complete waste of money," he said, "especially in a climate where your fundamental survival is the main topic of debate every night on the news."

Not everyone agrees. Torod Neptune, senior VP-global public affairs at Waggener Edstrom, said AIG needs to do something and that research the agency recently conducted backs that up. "Our research showed that it was consistently clear that consumers are looking to hear from financial-services institutions, and they are not," Mr. Neptune said. The agency polled 1,000 consumers, many of whom said they are not even hearing from their own banks. "So this is something AIG needs to be getting in front of pretty aggressively."

Mr. Neptune said the research showed that 44% of consumers polled said they had heard something from financial-service institutions but felt more negative about the industry afterward; 38% said they heard nothing at all; and 11% said they felt better about the industry after hearing from it.
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

The irony in all this?

Many of the "retention" bonuses paid by AIG, went to people who immediately LEFT the comapny once they got their bonus.

We now own AIG. WE should decide who does, and doesn't get a bonus.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• WACF
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
      The irony in all this?

Many of the "retention" bonuses paid by AIG, went to people who immediately LEFT the comapny once they got their bonus.

We now own AIG. WE should decide who does, and doesn't get a bonus.

If you own it....people up top that make stupid ass decisions should be fired too.

It is time to make an example....these guys are making it easy....

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

This is what gets gets me: "'Our research showed that it was consistently clear that consumers are looking to hear from financial-services institutions, and they are not...'"

Really? Like maybe a public apology? Or perhaps an admittance for their unquenchable greed? Maybe a Japanese Seppuku? That would be a start.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

AIG was the backboard for derivative and credit rate rollover. They insured this worthless shit. AIG is the news story but the problem is much larger. Basically the worldwide financial system is insolvent and fucked. Now they can play games and paper it over like they did in Japan in the 1990s but hey, the problem never goes away. You are still fucked down the road.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Throw away the cash and keep the wheelbarrow.

Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
            Originally posted by cadaverdog
            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
              Throw away the cash and keep the wheelbarrow.

Does anyone know when Ed Liddy - AIG's Poster Boy of Greed -is due to speak?

From what I gather from CNN.com he's already starting to play devil's advocate:

"In his prepared testimony, Liddy said that the "cold realities of competition" for customers and employees played a role in the firm's decision to make the payments, which have spurred a public backlash given the roughly $170 billion the government has used to prop up the troubled insurer.

"Because of this, and because of certain legal obligations, AIG has recently made a set of compensation payments, some of which I find distasteful," Liddy said in prepared remarks before the subcommittee."

Right, only "distasteful" because you've been caught with your hand in the taxpayer cookie jar, Liddy. Nice try.

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Never mind - he's on now.

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

This is what gets gets me: "'Our research showed that it was consistently clear that consumers are looking to hear from financial-services institutions, and they are not...'"

Really? Like maybe a public apology? Or perhaps an admittance for their unquenchable greed? Maybe a Japanese Seppuku? That would be a start.
                  That's what Senator Chuck Grassley (R- Iowa) said.

Can't remember the last time I was in complete agreement with a Republican.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...