SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

America's Top (or bottom) Ten Most Miserable Cities

It's a slide show on MSNBC, and I'm a bit surprised by some of the entries:

America's top 10 unhappiest cities - MSN Real Estate
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

I wonder how accurate the unemployment numbers are. It truly was depressing living near Detroit and I am glad I was able to leave.

Yup, Detroit is even worse than what they reported. It is now at 22.2%. They must of been using numbers from December.

January’s rate marked a sharp jump from the city’s December rate of 18.6%. As reported earlier this month, the state of Michigan’s unemployment rate for January was 11.6%.

For many years, unemployment in the city has run higher than the state or suburban areas. Even at more than 20%, the rate may not capture the depth of economic pain in the city because people who have stopped looking for work or who can find only part-time jobs are not counted in the rate.

Link
    Originally posted by vandeleur
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Panamark
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

They are offering homes in Detroit to Australian buyers
      from $1.50 to $3000.....

When I read that, I was like WTF ???

I'll see if I can find the article again..
      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Here ya go

House for sale for $1.50. Some commuting necessary... | News.com.au Top stories | News.com.au
        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• chefcraig
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
          They are offering homes in Detroit to Australian buyers
          from $1.50 to $3000.....

When I read that, I was like WTF ???

I'll see if I can find the article again..
          And by way of comparison, Australia recently offered the following...

Life's a beach with dream Australian island job

The successful applicant will have plenty of time to explore the Great Barrier Reef.

(CNN) -- It sounds far too good to be true: a salary of more than $100,000, a free home on a palm-fringed island and all the snorkeling you can be bothered with.

However, it is true and a very clever marketing ploy to boot.

Australia's Tourism Queensland has garnered worldwide media coverage by advertising the "best job in the world" -- the post of caretaker on Hamilton island in the Great Barrier Reef.

The six-month contract, according to Tourism Queensland, comes with flexible working hours and the successful applicant's "key responsibilities" include exploring the area to discover what is on offer and to report back weekly via blogs, photo diaries, video updates and media interviews.

Sounds taxing doesn't it?

The group said other responsibilities would include cleaning the pool, which comes with your free home, feeding the fish and collecting the mail (this would be done by joining the aerial postal service for a day or two to get a good view of the neighboring islands).

You might also take time out from your busy schedule to check out the turtles and passing whales.

On top of the six-figure salary you'll get return airfares from your nearest capital city, transport on the island, travel insurance, computer and camera gear and travel to other islands in the Great Barrier Reef.

No academic qualifications are required but you must be a good swimmer and enjoy snorkeling, be adventurous and have good communication skills.

Where do I sign up I hear you ask?

Tourism Queensland is asking for a 60-second video explanation of why you'd be great for the job and that you fill out their online application form at The Best Job In The World

Applications close on February 22, by which time you may be able to get on the Web site -- unsurprisingly it is proving very hard to load at the moment (not that I'm trying... that often).

Life's a beach with dream Australian island job - CNN.com

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
          ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• kwame k
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Feb 2008

The houses you can buy in Detroit for a $1,000.00 are completely gutted and you would have to rebuild darn near everything. Windows, electrical, plumbing, heating, drywall and etc. I looked into a few of them and it wasn't worth the time, plus having to spend the out of pocket expenses for completely redoing the houses.
            E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• kwame k
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by chefcraig
              And by way of comparison, Australia recently offered the following...

Life's a beach with dream Australian island job

The successful applicant will have plenty of time to explore the Great Barrier Reef.

(CNN) -- It sounds far too good to be true: a salary of more than $100,000, a free home on a palm-fringed island and all the snorkeling you can be bothered with.

However, it is true and a very clever marketing ploy to boot.

Australia's Tourism Queensland has garnered worldwide media coverage by advertising the "best job in the world" -- the post of caretaker on Hamilton island in the Great Barrier Reef.

The six-month contract, according to Tourism Queensland, comes with flexible working hours and the successful applicant's "key responsibilities" include exploring the area to discover what is on offer and to report back weekly via blogs, photo diaries, video updates and media interviews.

Sounds taxing doesn't it?

The group said other responsibilities would include cleaning the pool, which comes with your free home, feeding the fish and collecting the mail (this would be done by joining the aerial postal service for a day or two to get a good view of the neighboring islands).

You might also take time out from your busy schedule to check out the turtles and passing whales.

On top of the six-figure salary you'll get return airfares from your nearest capital city, transport on the island, travel insurance, computer and camera gear and travel to other islands in the Great Barrier Reef.

No academic qualifications are required but you must be a good swimmer and enjoy snorkeling, be adventurous and have good communication skills.

Where do I sign up I hear you ask?

Tourism Queensland is asking for a 60-second video explanation of why you'd be great for the job and that you fill out their online application form at The Best Job In The World

Applications close on February 22, by which time you may be able to get on the Web site -- unsurprisingly it is proving very hard to load at the moment (not that I'm trying... that often).

Life's a beach with dream Australian island job - CNN.com
              Now that's a job I could handle.

Comment

• Panamark
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

You guys will hate me for this....
                I used to live and worked where this job is, and spent every weekend
                on the Reef. My girlfriends parents owned a tour booking agency
                and we could literally pick which island/tour/activity we wanted
                to do.... (For Free !)

If you ever get to come to Oz and only have one option,
                make sure its the Reef ! And try to get onto one of the less commercial
                tours. That way you get a private boat that will take you to
                places that havent had 200,000 Japanese a day snorkelling over
                the same patch...
                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

As if the LIONS losing every fuckin game last season wasn't enough! Detroit can't make it at No. 1 in anything.

Comment

• Panamark
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
                    The houses you can buy in Detroit for a $1,000.00 are completely gutted and you would have to rebuild darn near everything. Windows, electrical, plumbing, heating, drywall and etc. I looked into a few of them and it wasn't worth the time, plus having to spend the out of pocket expenses for completely redoing the houses.

So the land is worth nuthin ?? (obviously)
                    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

They cleaned up the Detroit River though. Right off shore from the city they have National pro bass tournaments. Our family got snowed in the Renassance Center in the blizzard of 78. 15 foot snow drifts and the hotel ran out of all food exept for shrimp cocktail which we ate for three days.
                      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                        They cleaned up the Detroit River though. Right off shore from the city they have National pro bass tournaments. Our family got snowed in the Renassance Center in the blizzard of 78. 15 foot snow drifts and the hotel ran out of all food exept for shrimp cocktail which we ate for three days.
                        Can't say the same for the water around the Rouge River Plant or Zug Island for that matter.

Of course if you want to go to a place that's really depressing, try my hometown of Jackson, Mich.

Comment

• kwame k
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Feb 2008

Pretty much, Mark.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Would you want to live beside Von?

Comment

• Panamark
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              Would you want to live beside Von?
                              Well Im assuming he drinks beer and plays reasonable music
                              through his stereo, so it couldnt be that bad could it ??

So land in detroit is worth shit ??
                              So putting 2 + 2 together, there must be a lot of races of
                              people living there who dont happen to be white ???
                              (Was that politically correct enough ?)

Must have changed since Kiss wrote "Detroit Rock City"
                              What was it, get up, everbodies gonna move their feet
                              get down everybodies gonna leave their seats..
                              Your gonna lose your mind in Detroit Rock City..

Sounds like your house and land too...

Kiss was very prophetic back then...
                              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Working...