X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigc
    Head Fluffer
    • Aug 2004

Skyscraper Tour.

After having an obssession with the ALAE tour, I'm moving back in time now for the Skyscraper tour.

I've heard a few boots from this tour and aside from keyboards everywhere(Hot for Teacher...argh), it seems a good varied set list. I love the steel drum solo and Vai's solo is quite good, even with the Tuggle synth bit.

I was just curious to any variations in the set list, as I've heard a few early and later boots. I know in the early ones there wasn't the I've just seen a face/wake up little susie bit, and that On Fire was on the setlist. Was Perfect Timing on the setlist at any point, I read somewhere on here he played it..

I'm guessing Hina didn't get played live which is a shame, that was a great tune.
  • indeedido
    Veteran
    • Feb 2004

I dig the steel drums solos too. Also the acoustic mini set with wake up little suzie and I've just seen a face.
    This space for rent.

Comment

Foot Soldier
      • Jun 2007

Dave`s hair

Dave became the laughing stock of rock in 1988!
      Dave was always proud of his appearance. So when his hair fell out at the front, and his skin became leathery, the media slaughtered Dave!

Comment

• hideyoursheep
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2007

STFU, katie.

Comment

• Panamark
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by 113
          And participated in the biggest ever grossing
          Van Halen tour, ten years later...

So wrap your beef curtains around that while
          you laugh at Dave.
          BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Big Troubles
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Feb 2004

skyscraper

Originally posted by 113
            Dave was always proud of his appearance. So when his hair fell out at the front, and his skin became leathery, the media slaughtered Dave!

Dave did this in 1988:

On SKYSCRAPER, Roth stresses songwriting over instrumental virtuosity this time around-with often-grand results. The epic, sonically rich title track was comparable to little else at the time (or, for that matter, anything else since), while ... Full Description the single "Just Like Paradise" was the top-ten hit that pushed SKYSCRAPER to platinum status. Other highlights include the new wave dance sounds of "Stand Up," the gorgeous pop rocker "Hina" (which deserved to be a single), the nostalgic acoustic ballad "Damn Good," and the rockers "Knucklebones," "The Bottom Line," and "Hot Dog and a Shake." Unfortunately, SKYSCRAPER and the subsequent tour marked the last collaborations between Vai and Roth.

For his second full-length solo album, 1988's SKYSCRAPER, David Lee Roth decided to experiment with his expected heavy-rock style. Synthesizers played more of a prominent role than they had in the raging hard rock of EAT 'EM AND SMILE, and Billy Sheehan's bass heroics were toned down a few notches (resulting in his exit from the band just after the record's release). Guitarist Steve Vai co-produced the album with Roth, providing another key factor in the music's new direction. Vai, previously a member of Frank Zappa's band, gave SKYSCRAPER a quirky edge.

Record Sales: Platinum status and peaked at #6 on the US charts(The Billboard 200) and had 4 top 10 singles.

Lost his hair in the front? who the fuck cares?
            "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• Big Troubles
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Feb 2004

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVsHePpovt4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVsHePpovt4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
              "FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' BITCH! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ANYWAYS? TALK TO ME LIKE THAT? FUCK YOU. DRAG QUEEN LOOKIN' WHORE- YOU AINT SHIT. YOUR THE FRECKLE TO THE LEFT OF MY BROWN EYE. NOW GO MAKE YOURSELF USEFUL...OH, PUT DAD ON THE PHONE"

Comment

• Big Troubles
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Feb 2004

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uzQMKjUbi-w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uzQMKjUbi-w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Comment

• Big Troubles
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Feb 2004

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NGbxLEJa1QM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NGbxLEJa1QM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Comment

• Big Troubles
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Feb 2004

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aqxF-ZXQ5nk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aqxF-ZXQ5nk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

This is a pro-shot video, so SOMEBODY out there has to have the whole fucking thing.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KOzOpsghhs0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KOzOpsghhs0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                        This is a pro-shot video, so SOMEBODY out there has to have the whole fucking thing.....
                        YouTube comments are like car wrecks but you can't help but go and take a journey to land of the retards...

NukeCulear (11 months ago)
                        who's is singing with him?

Will316316 (9 months ago)
                        another musician... dime a dozen

NukeCulear (9 months ago)
                        No. That looks kinda Howard Stern but I'm probaly wrong. It just kinda looks like him. He and Roth were pals.

kahuna390 (1 year ago) Show Hide
                        vai didnt do much in that but you can tell hes amiazing from just looking

Comment

• Full Bug
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jan 2004

I went to the '88 concert at the old Maple Leaf Gardens and thought it was great, even have the bootleg video on DVD, it wasnt VH, but still a great time........
                          Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• indeedido
                            Veteran
                            • Feb 2004

In all of the solo shows I've seen footage of, Dave seemed a lot more comfortable on stage during the post VH era.
                            This space for rent.

Comment

• atomicpunk5151
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Aug 2004

The dvd from Hollywood, FL 88 was decent. It was from BTB Productions. The Toronto DVD from 88 is pretty clear as well.

The tour did pretty decent business out here in California, I remember the shows were pretty full.

The show was good, but not great, the keys were overpowering and Vai's tone wasn't that great. He was certainly better on his own stuff then the CVH material.

typical set list:

Bottom Line
                              Hot Dog And A Shake
                              Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love
                              Just Like Paradise
                              Knuckle Bones
                              Easy Street
                              Hot For Teacher
                              Stand Up / Guitar Solo
                              Skyscraper
                              Just A Gigalo
                              Going Crazy