PDA

View Full Version : VHII released 30 years ago today !

Panamark
03-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Warner Bros. releases Van Halen's second album, titled Van Halen II. The album is recorded in just six days, and will contain the band's first Top 20 single, ""Dance The Night Away."" During a photo shoot for the album, David Lee Roth breaks his right heel after landing incorrectly on it after a jump. He is photographed with a cast on his foot on several of the record's pictures. ""VH2"" will hit US #6 (and UK #23) on its way to five million sales.

(Thanks VA !)

Panamark
03-23-2009, 08:35 AM
So wheres all the VH number #2 fanatical crazy mofo's !!!
I love this album, cant believe it was recorded in
6 days.. Whats your favorite tunes ?

Please discuss a momentus occasion ! :happy0158::appl::happy64::winner:

Va Beach VH Fan
03-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Nice to see the daily events are being read....

Panamark
03-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Personal Fave, "Light up the Sky"
and arguably the heaviest recorded Van Halen tune.

Matt White
03-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Yup....GRATE cd Mark.....

You're No Good
Somebody Get Me a Doctor
Women in Love
D.O.A.
'Outta Love
Light Up the Sky
.................................................. ...

BRILLIANT

Va Beach VH Fan
03-23-2009, 08:53 AM
It started out kinda unusual, with the "You're No Good" cover, although I must say it sounded better than Linda Ronstadt...

Dance The Night Away was VH II's Jamie's Cryin'....

SMGAD - Best song on the album....

Bottom's Up - Possibly best live song on album, especially the singing in the middle part...

Outta Love Again - Most underrated song on album ??

Light Up the Sky - Was never played enough live

Spanish Fly - Beautiful solo

D.O.A. - Same as LUTS, good live song

Women in Love - Take it or leave it

Beautiful Girls - Great live song

Pennypacker
03-23-2009, 09:17 AM
"Light Up The Sky" is my favourite CVH tune, and probably the heaviest along with "On Fire". This album always does it for me, every song stands out.

I have the VHII LP playing now as I eat breakfast, and Ill sure as hell be listening to it on that long bus ride to school. :baaa:

vaijuju
03-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Why they put "You're no good" with the intro of "Down in flames" ? Dave said that DIF will be on VHII

Coyote
03-23-2009, 09:58 AM
"Light Up the Sky" brings back some memories involving high speed driving and a friends now-former girlfriend... :hitch:

indeedido
03-23-2009, 10:02 AM
I love VH II, in fact right now it is my most heavily rotated disks.

jero
03-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Solo in Outta love rocks!

binnie
03-23-2009, 11:21 AM
Definitely the one that's grown on me most over the years.

One of my favourite summer records......

Diamondjimi
03-23-2009, 11:38 AM
My fav. VH album. Ed's tone is amazing. Much clearer production than the first.

Front to back a slammin album. Brings back some great memories....:D

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/41kH5Gc9vRL.jpg

katie
03-23-2009, 12:20 PM
It's OK,

Panamark
03-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Perfect follow up to VH1, still cant believe it took em only 6 days to
record. You know a band is on top of its game when it can belt
out an album that precisely and quickly. I think "Your'e no good"
works well as the intro song. My parents used to play Linda Rondstant
all the time, so to hear a Halenized version of a song very familiar
to me, (but from a way different genre) was totally cool !!

Diamondjimi
03-23-2009, 05:15 PM
It's OK,

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/members/diamondjimi-albums-ahahahahahahahahahahahahha-picture87-katie-luvs-dj.jpg

78/84 guy
03-23-2009, 06:23 PM
I still think it's their best because it show's all side's of what the band was about. The solo in Outta Love is short but one of Ed's best !! Get Me A Doctor is still on of my favorite tune's ever.

katie
03-23-2009, 07:37 PM
It's OK, but is let down by the dry mix

chefcraig
03-23-2009, 08:04 PM
It's OK, but is let down by the dry mix

When the album first came out, I felt the same way. The tunes sounded just a bit more like standard boogie tunes in some places, and the record seemed to have a bit less zip on it's fastball compared to the lightning and thunder of the first record.

Yet oddly enough, here we are thirty years later, and I actually find myself liking the album for these very traits that I dismissed so casually long ago. The open spaces in "You're No Good" and "Women In Love" now enhance the performance more, and the nervousness that lead to somewhat stiff recordings on the first record has been replaced by a relaxed attitude and the beginnings of the VH brand of humor that would become a trademark of this band in the future. The band seems to be having a blast playing these tunes, and Roth is right at the front with his funny asides ("Hey...where ya goin'?") and genuinely cracking up in places, which Ted Templeman was canny enough to leave in.

A keeper for sure.

katie
03-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Good POV, gonna revisit this album....

kwame k
03-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Apparently when the band was recording live in the studio as usual, Eddie's solo performance tore everybody there apart, hence the applause.

I think that's the biggest crock i've ever heard regarding Van Halen...

The clapping was a planed out part of the song, probably done by Dave, Michael and Edward during the recording of the vocal tracks...

And they didn't record everything "live in the studio" as descrbed in your post...

The basic rhythm track was recorded and then some of the guitar solo work and finally vocals...

There was no "everybody there" who spontaineously gave applause, ala Hendrix - Electric Electric Lady Land...

So, go back an corect Wiki...

:elvis:

ELVIS
03-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Hmmm...

My first and favourite =VH= album to this day...

I love the live feel...

Ed had his best tone and Dave was never better before or since as far as sceams and projecting such a bigger than life personality onto a recording...

It's a masteriece and my favourite song of course os Outta Love again...

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dm7u1_7Jbnk&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dm7u1_7Jbnk&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

AMAZING!

Panamark
03-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Hmmm...

My first and favourite =VH= album to this day...

I love the live feel...

Ed had his best tone and Dave was never better before or since as far as sceams and projecting such a bigger than life personality onto a recording...

It's a masteriece and my favourite song of course os Outta Love again...

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dm7u1_7Jbnk&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dm7u1_7Jbnk&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

AMAZING!

Very cool live version !:baaa:

ELVIS
03-24-2009, 01:23 AM
Absolutely KILLER guitar and unreal screams!

And just listen to their timing...so tight...

That was due to Michael and Alex working their asses off together...

Wolf didn't have a clue about such things on the last tour...

I'm sure he'll get better, but Michael makes it soung like Van Halen...

He even makes Chickendick sound a bit like Van Halen...

Andy Taylor
03-24-2009, 05:10 PM
I sometimes get the feeling that most people, even diehard hard rock fans don't get the humour in their music, they think VH is a hard rock band. It's not just in Roth's shrieks, it's in all of their playing. You have to have a certain sort of personality. Outta love is my fave hands down on this. It's also one of my top tunes.

Carloscda
03-24-2009, 07:13 PM
That performance there among others made every band out want to be like them! And imagining being at that how yuo know Dave was flying all over there place!

if6was9
03-25-2009, 10:33 AM
I sometimes get the feeling that most people, even diehard hard rock fans don't get the humour in their music, they think VH is a hard rock band. It's not just in Roth's shrieks, it's in all of their playing. You have to have a certain sort of personality.
That's exactly the difference between Van Halen and Van Hagar. Seemed like Dave took all their humour away in 1985.

BTW, We'll have a sad anniversary next week.

yomaster
03-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Best VH record ever. I love every song.

Andy Taylor
03-25-2009, 05:53 PM
That's exactly the difference between Van Halen and Van Hagar. Seemed like Dave took all their humour away in 1985.

BTW, We'll have a sad anniversary next week.

That's really another topic, but I do think Sammy had it too. Based on what was available I think Ed made the best choice possible. There are many moments that crack me up just like the Dave stuff does; yes I know next to no one here would agree. One example: Good Enough, where he goes, well I'll have some of thaaAAATT!!! woohoohoohoo.

Carloscda
03-25-2009, 06:40 PM
That's really another topic, but I do think Sammy had it too. Based on what was available I think Ed made the best choice possible. There are many moments that crack me up just like the Dave stuff does; yes I know next to no one here would agree. One example: Good Enough, where he goes, well I'll have some of thaaAAATT!!! woohoohoohoo.

Weak....:(
There was only One Dave and everyone tried to emulate him from A-Z! From his one liners to his jumps & even his outfits!

kwame k
03-26-2009, 01:09 AM
I think that's the biggest crock i've ever heard regarding Van Halen...

So you edit a quote and my post, with your bullshit and you say "I think". WTF, asshole, if you have proof that quote is bullshit, post your facts. If not, shove it up your mod editing ass.

You know, you could of either brought the real truth out and corrected an erroneous link/quote but you had to rewrite my post with your shit.

:mad0248:

Andy Taylor
03-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Weak....:(
There was only One Dave and everyone tried to emulate him from A-Z! From his one liners to his jumps & even his outfits!

Dave's unique. I just meant the humour continued and personally I enjoyed some of it.

FORD
03-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Absolutely KILLER guitar and unreal screams!

And just listen to their timing...so tight...

That was due to Michael and Alex working their asses off together...

Yep. While the material itself was probably stronger on the first album - because they picked the best 11 songs of their club sets - the studio performances of Alex & Sobolewski were definitely better on VHII than on the first album.

I've even seen it written in reviews before that VHI was "Dave & Eddie's record" and VHII was "Mike & Alex's record". Not sure I'd go that far, but songs like "Outa Love Again", "Light up the Sky", and "Bottoms Up" put more emphasis on the rhythm section than the first album did.

Fairwrning
03-26-2009, 04:01 PM
DTNA was the first VH song I can remember hearing..I was 11 when the first 2 came out..Kingsport.Tn wasnt exactly a hotbed for rock and roll in 1978-79 as far as radio or ANYTHING..moved back to Va in 1980 and my old friends turned me on to VH 1... but this album produced the first VH song I ever heard.

degüello
03-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Yeah, love this album and have a lot of memories of listening to it as a beginning guitarist.

Spanish Fly sounded so exotic and mysterious, yet flashy and mind-blowing all at once.

I thought the tapped-harmonics intro to Women In Love was one of the coolest, most magical things I'd ever heard a guitar do. I remember showing it to my dad and saying, "Listen to this guy!" That, combined with Little Guitars totally changed his impression/evaluation of what VH was all about.

These days, I crank up DOA the most. It's still a top-five VH tune for me. Also love Light Up The Sky and Somebody Get Me A Doctor - fucking great shit to blast out in the car.

Always tend to reach for the skip button when Outta Love Again comes on, though. That tune has never grabbed me.

degüello
03-26-2009, 11:13 PM
And I didn't know/forgot it was recorded in six days, too. Holy shit!

degüello
03-26-2009, 11:27 PM
So you edit a quote and my post, with your bullshit and you say "I think". WTF, asshole, if you have proof that quote is bullshit, post your facts. If not, shove it up your mod editing ass.

You know, you could of either brought the real truth out and corrected an erroneous link/quote but you had to rewrite my post with your shit.

Yeah, that's fucked up.

Also makes the thread confusing, as I thought they were your words (didn't see the tiny 'edited by' info) and couldn't figure out what the hell you were responding to. :D

Seems very un-Army-ish, and ELVIS is a cool dude - maybe it was a mistake (ie meant to hit the 'Quote' function and hit 'Edit' instead; I think I did this over at DDLR a couple times).

ELVIS
03-27-2009, 12:03 AM

I apologize dude...

I meant to quote you (which is exactly what I did) but I hit edit by mistake without realizing it...

Still, the quote is your statement. I didn't edit that. I edited my response...

But I made a mistake...sorry..

ELVIS
03-27-2009, 12:04 AM
Now, GET THE FUCK OVER IT !!!

:biggrin:

kwame k
03-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Now, GET THE FUCK OVER IT !!!

:biggrin:

I'm over it!

Wait, not yet.

:finger-attitude:

OK, I better.

ELVIS
03-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Good...:rockon:

Panamark
03-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Light up that fucken Sky !!! :rockon:

TheRothMan
04-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Warner Bros. releases Van Halen's second album, titled Van Halen II. The album is recorded in just six days, and will contain the band's first Top 20 single, ""Dance The Night Away."" During a photo shoot for the album, David Lee Roth breaks his right heel after landing incorrectly on it after a jump. He is photographed with a cast on his foot on several of the record's pictures. ""VH2"" will hit US #6 (and UK #23) on its way to five million sales.

(Thanks VA !)

Yeah, I remember. I saw them 2 weeks later on April 8, 1979 at the L.A. Coliseum. It was a festival type concert and I remember hearing it played over the speakers at the show all day. I wasn't a huge Van Halen fan then, I was there to see Aerosmith. I became a big fan of Van Halen 2 or 3 years later.

04-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Dave added the Lee, to his name, as the band`s popularity grew, from David Roth to David Lee Roth! This album was the first time Dave used LEE, in the album credits!

Pennypacker
04-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Wednesday is the 28th anniversary of Fair Warning
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d7/Van_Halen_-_Fair_Warning.jpg

sonrisa salvaje
04-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Man i was 10 the summer of that year and i remember going to boyscout camp and hearing Dance the Night Away on the radio. There were some older kids that were really into VH and i had no clue. I was still listening to Kiss being a knucklehead. Man if i could go back....