• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rodney King
    Full On Cocktard
    • Mar 2009

Remember da open letter frum 96?!?

To whom dis here may concern,

You've prob'ly heard rumors dat Van Halen an' I will not be consummating our highly publicized reunion. And since neither Edward, Alex, nor Michael gots corroborated or denied da gossip, I Wants ta jet on record wiff da following: Eddie did it.

It'snahh secret, nor be I ashamed o' muh ma fuckin unbashed rapture at da prospect o' resurrecting da original Van Halen. A "couple o' songs" wuz all I knew fo' sure when Edward an' I got together three months ago ta write dem. At dat tyme, da gang tip-toed around me sprinkling sentiments like, "this ain't sure thin', Dave: dis here don' mean anyfin' long term, Dave; We be still auditioning other singers, Dave." I wuz tight. I wuz happy. I wuz in da moment.

The next thin' I knew, da four o' us iz doin' surprise walk-on at da MTV Awards. I told Edward at dat tyme dat I didn't th'o't it wuz uh pimp-tight idea fo' da gang ta jet ta New York half-cocked; an' dat I didn't wants ta Imply by our presence dat we's wuz "back" if in fact it wuz just uh quickle fo' old tyme'ssake.

Well ain't hind sight always 20/20...Had I asked fo' sumfin in writing, dis here wouldn't gots happened. Had I acknowledged da occasional icy grip in muh ma fuckin stomach, maybe dis here wouldn't gots happened. But I didn't. Like I said--rapture. And, I love deez pimpz. Do I trust dem? That queshun never entered muh ma fuckin mind.

Then, uh series o' events last week led me ta discover at about da same tyme da press did, dat da gang, along wiff they manager, had already hired another lead singer, possibly as long as three months ago. I wonder how he felt da night o' da MTV Awards. It certainly explains why on dat night Edward looked as uncomfortable as uh nig who just signed uh deal wiff The Devil. I can't th'o't o' uh reason Edward would lie ta me about being considered fo' da lead singer when he had already hired someone, an' then let me appear on MTV under da impression dat dere wuz great likelihood dat Van Halen an' I wuz reuniting. As I said, I told him in nahh uncertain terms dat I didn't wants ta do da MTV gig as uh gang unless we's wuz in fact, uh gang.

And so I apologize ta muh ma fuckin fans an' muh ma fuckin supporters, an' ta MTV. I wuz an unwitting participant in dis here deception. It sickens me dat da "reunion" as seen on MTV wuz nuttin' mo' than uh publicity stunt. If I be guilty o' anyfin', I'm guilty o' denial. I wanted ta believe it just as much as anyone else. Those who know me know dat trickery wuz never muh ma fuckin style.

what the fuck sup now?
  • hideyoursheep
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2007

My translator isn't working...

Comment

• Blaze
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
      sigpic

Comment

• hideyoursheep
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Rodney King
        what the fuck sup now?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8kEryR5wj9o&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color 2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8kEryR5wj9o&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color 2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Comment

• Blaze
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/uDCdfLZ5QCs&hl=en&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/uDCdfLZ5QCs&hl=en&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>
          "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
          sigpic

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Allow me:

October 2, 1996

David Lee Roth issued his open letter to the press following the appearance of the band together on the MTV music awards.

To whom this may concern,
            You've probably heard rumors that Van Halen and I will not be consummating our highly publicized reunion. And since neither Edward, Alex, nor Michael have corroborated or denied the gossip, I would like to go on record with the following: Eddie did it.
            It's no secret, nor am I ashamed of my unbashed rapture at the prospect of resurrecting the original Van Halen. A ""couple of songs"" was all I knew for sure when Edward and I got together three months ago to write them. At that time, the band tip-toed around me sprinkling sentiments like, ""this isn't sure thing, Dave: this doesn't mean anything long term, Dave; we're still auditioning other singers, Dave."" I was cool. I was happy. I was in the moment.
            The next thing I knew, the four of us are doing surprise walk-on at the MTV Awards. I told Edward at that time that I didn't think it was a good idea for the band to go to New York half-cocked; and that I didn't want to imply by our presence that we were ""back"" if in fact it was just a quickle for old time's sake.
            Well ain't hind sight always 20/20...Had I asked for something in writing, this wouldn't have happened. Had I acknowledged the occasional icy grip in my stomach, maybe this wouldn't have happened. But I didn't. Like I said--rapture. And, I love these guys. Do I trust them? That question never entered my mind.
            Then, a series of events last week led me to discover at about the same time the press did, that the band, along with their manager, had already hired another lead singer, possibly as long as three months ago. I wonder how he felt the night of the MTV Awards. It certainly explains why on that night Edward looked as uncomfortable as a man who just signed a deal with The Devil. I can't think of a reason Edward would lie to me about being considered for the lead singer when he had already hired someone, and then let me appear on MTV under the impression that there was great likelihood that Van Halen and I were reuniting. As I said, I told him in no uncertain terms that I didn't want to do the MTV gig as a band unless we were in fact, a band.
            And so I apologize to my fans and my supporters, and to MTV. I was an unwitting participant in this deception. It sickens me that the ""reunion"" as seen on MTV was nothing more than a publicity stunt. If I am guilty of anything, I'm guilty of denial. I wanted to believe it just as much as anyone else. Those who know me know that trickery was never my style.
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

And the band's response on Oct. 3rd...

Van Halen releases an official press release in response to Dave's open letter.

The Van Halen Response:
              We parted company with David Lee Roth 11 years ago for many reasons. In his open letter of October 2nd, we were reminded of some of them. The intention all along was to do two new songs with Dave for the Best of Volume 1 package. He was never led to believe anything but that. When the four of us were asked by MTV and Warner Bros. to present an award at the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards, the four of us agreed. Dave was never an ""unwitting participant."" We appeared in public just as we do before releasing any other Van Halen record. For the last two weeks we have been working with someone who we hope will be part of the future of Van Halen, although no final decision can be announced until contractual considerations have been resolved. Van Halen will go forward and create the best possible music we can. Edward, Alex, Michael
              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Panamark
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

I feel like thats water uner the bridge now, as much as it
                sucked 13 years ago... Two wishes left for me, Current
                Van Halen, tour OZ and a new album...
                If they can do that, or I can catch a show in the US
                (Plus a new record) I reckon I can forgive, forget the shit
                and proudly have my seven CVH albums as the legacy.
                The only thing they have left to prove is if the old
                songwriting chemistry is there.
                BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by hideyoursheep
                  My translator isn't working...
                  It's okay, stewardess, I speak jive.

She said just hang loose, blood. She gonna catch you on the rebound with the medicide.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Panamark
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                    It's okay, stewardess, I speak jive.

She said just hang loose, blood. She gonna catch you on the rebound with the medicide.
                    LOL ! That film is a classic. I remember watching it in cinema with my
                    friend from school, it was mid week, there was just me, my friend
                    and a priest sitting about two rows in front of us.. So we had
                    the cinema to ourselves. I nearly wet myself, one of those situations
                    where your mate laughs and you feed off each other.
                    To make it even funnier, the priest was pissing himself too.
                    Even when the tits flashed across the screen ! That made
                    me laugh even more... Hmmmmm come to think of it we
                    might of blown a scooby before that flick
                    Still makes me laugh, my favorite part is the look on the
                    autopilots face when the stewardess blows him !
                    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                      LOL ! That film is a classic. I remember watching it in cinema with my
                      friend from school, it was mid week, there was just me, my friend
                      and a priest sitting about two rows in front of us.. So we had
                      the cinema to ourselves. I nearly wet myself, one of those situations
                      where your mate laughs and you feed off each other.
                      To make it even funnier, the priest was pissing himself too.
                      Even when the tits flashed across the screen ! That made
                      me laugh even more... Hmmmmm come to think of it we
                      might of blown a scooby before that flick
                      Still makes me laugh, my favorite part is the look on the
                      autopilots face when the stewardess blows him !
                      Agreed.

At the very least, certainly miles funnier than the useless fuckwit Rodney King alias who started this thread!
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...