PDA

View Full Version : 8th Grade Final Exam: Salina , KS - 1895

Blaze
03-25-2009, 07:58 PM
What it took to get an 8th grade education in 1895...

Remember when grandparents and great-grandparents stated that they only had an 8th grade education? Well,
Check this out. Could any of us have passed the 8th grade in 1895?

This is the eighth-grade final exam from 1895 in Salina , Kansas , USA . It was taken from the original document on
File at the Smokey Valley Genealogical Society and Library in Salina , and reprinted by the Salina Journal.

8th Grade Final Exam: Salina , KS - 1895

Grammar (Time, one hour)
1. Give nine rules for the use of capital letters.
2. Name the parts of speech and define those that have no modifications.
3. Define verse, stanza and paragraph
4. What are the principal parts of a verb? Give principal parts of 'lie,''play ,' and 'run.'
5. Define case; illustrate each case.
6 What is punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of punctuation.
7 - 10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical use of the rules of grammar.

Arithmetic (Time,1 hour 15 minutes)
1. Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
2. A wagon box is 2 ft. Deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. Wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
3. If a load of wheat weighs 3,942 lbs., what is it worth at 50cts/bushel, deducting 1,050 lbs. For tare?
4. District No 33 has a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incide ntals?
5. Find the cost of 6,720 lbs. Coal at $6.00 per ton.
6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.
7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft.. Long at $20 per metre?
8. Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent..
9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance of which is 640 rods?
10. Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt

U.S. History (Time, 45 minutes)
1. Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided
2. Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus
3. Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
4. Show the territorial growth of the United States
5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas
6.. Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.
7. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton , Bell , Lincoln , Penn, a ND Howe?
8. Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, 1865.

Orthography (Time, one hour)
[Do we even know what this is??]
1. What is meant by the following: alphabet, phonetic, orthography, etymology, syllabication
2. What are elementary sounds? How classified?
3. What are the following, and give examples of each: trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, linguals
4. Give four substitutes for caret 'U..' (HUH?)
5. Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e.' Name two exceptions under each rule.
6. Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each.
7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: bi, dis-mis, pre, semi, post, non, inter, mono, sup.
8. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
9. Use the following correctly in sentences: cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane , vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks and by syllabication.

Geography (Time, one hour)
1 What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas ?
3. Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
4. Describe the mountains of North Amer ica
5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia , Odessa , Denver , Manitoba , Hecla , Yukon , St. Helena, Juan Fernandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco
6. Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S. Name all the republics of Europe and give the capital of each.
8. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.
10. Describe the movements of the earth. Give the inclination of the earth.

Notice that the exam took FIVE HOURS to complete.

Gives the saying 'he only had an 8th grade education' a whole new meaning,
doesn't it?! Also shows you how poor our education system has become and,
NO, I don't have the answers!

Pennypacker
03-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Arithmetic (Time,1 hour 15 minutes)
1. Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
2. A wagon box is 2 ft. Deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. Wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
3. If a load of wheat weighs 3,942 lbs., what is it worth at 50cts/bushel, deducting 1,050 lbs. For tare?
4. District No 33 has a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incide ntals?
5. Find the cost of 6,720 lbs. Coal at $6.00 per ton.
6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.
7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft.. Long at $20 per metre?
8. Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent..
9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance of which is 640 rods?
10. Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt

Fucksakes, it would take me 1 hour 15 minutes to answer the first 2 questions.

LoungeMachine
03-25-2009, 11:55 PM
Had I started this test in 1895, I might, just might be finished with it by today...

:gulp:

Guitar Shark
03-25-2009, 11:58 PM
This has got to be bullshit. I highly doubt there were any students in 8th grade, let alone students who were literate in 1895 in Kansas.

Blaze
03-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Lounge ,:hee:

Anyone know ........

1 What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?

Guitar Shark
03-26-2009, 12:02 AM
Something on which to climb?

LoungeMachine
03-26-2009, 12:05 AM

What kind of rod are we talking about?

Rod Serling? Who was 6' 1"

or A-Rod, who is now 7' 2" I believe....

Blaze
03-26-2009, 12:05 AM
Something on which to climb?

:biggrin:

I guess it depends on change.

LoungeMachine
03-26-2009, 12:08 AM
[i]

1. Give nine rules for the use of capital letters.
!

because i'm legally blind you fucking mother fucking asshole, and it's the only way i can see the screen to type

Blaze
03-26-2009, 12:11 AM
:biggrin:

LoungeMachine
03-26-2009, 12:11 AM
That LAST post was typed in all CAPS, but the fucking vbulliten software changed it.

[Capt CapLock inside joke for those unaware]

Blaze
03-26-2009, 12:15 AM
2. Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus
Columbus was a bit slow, he was preceded by the Norse, led by Leif Ericsson, who built a temporary settlement 500 years earlier at L'Anse aux Meadows[.

Blaze
03-26-2009, 12:16 AM
What we can't type in cap-lock! Oh the humanity!

:hitch:

Blaze
03-26-2009, 12:22 AM
yES, THAT RIGHT! i FORGOT!

oH lOOKIE! i LEARNED THE cAP-LOCKS LOOPHOLE!!!!!

Blaze
03-26-2009, 12:30 AM
It's a conspiracy!

LoungeMachine
03-26-2009, 12:33 AM
The sun, CO2 gas...(I think). :umm:

WHAT IS THIS ABOUT TYPING IN CAPS-LOCK? I JUST DID IT.

There was a troll here a while back, who tended to type all in caps.

When asked to STFU, he explained that he was actually legally blind, and that he had software that typed his replies for him, as he spoke to the computer.

When we explained that was impossible, he then changed his story to "I type in all caps because that's the only way I can see the screen.

Then he said his "burly biker" roommate typed his repsonses for him, so we better watch out.

Then he claimed to be HIV+, with only weeks to live.

Then he said he got a second opinion, and the doctor told him the false-positive was the result of the antibiotics he was taking for a toothache.

But then again, this is the same clown who claims that he is the great0nephew of Howard Hughes, and that his father forced him to have a vasectomy at the age of 8, at the UCLA med ctr, performed by his uncle, against his will, because the family didnt want him to procreate.

Oh, on a side note. He's a personal friend, and telephone buddy of one cadaverdog. :D

I need a drink after typing that.

LoungeMachine
03-26-2009, 12:48 AM
I did.

I only gave you the Reader's Digest version.

The details kept us all in stitches for weeks.

He kept digging deeper and deeper.....

He was an Albino Apache legally blind decendent of Howard Hughes, who was going to make an album and movie, tour the world, but lived in a tent, fished for his dinner, posted from the library, yet had thousands of photographs in a sealed vault with armed guards proving everything he told us......

I kid you not. :D

At times, I was literally crying I was laughing so hard.... Thought I cracked a rib at one point....

LoungeMachine
03-26-2009, 12:51 AM
Ace Diamond Experience on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads (http://www.myspace.com/acediamondexperience)

This is his myspace. He's quite proud of it, I must say.... :D

WARNING: Have a drink first.

Guitar Shark
03-26-2009, 12:59 AM
Ah, the happy Ace Diamond family before 'SNIP SNIP'

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/40/l_1895da103a65414d84468d3a5d13e16c.jpg

Guitar Shark
03-26-2009, 01:17 AM
Personally, I found the music more offensive than the satanic images.

LoungeMachine
03-26-2009, 01:28 AM
I'm too jacked up to sleep after looking at the satanic pictures. How do you guys find out about these things?

They find us......

We're like a weirdo magnet here.

I for one, was unaware these people even lived among us until I registered here...

They only come out at night.

LoungeMachine
03-26-2009, 01:30 AM

The wha?

I see we're being pretty liberal with the term "music" these days.....

This post should have read: Personally, I was more offended by the chickenfoot than I was the satanic images

kwame k
03-26-2009, 01:31 AM

I found the pictures of himself the most offensive.

LoungeMachine
03-26-2009, 01:34 AM
I found the pictures of himself the most offensive.

Oh, come on....

The spandex hiked up to the armpits, set against the pasty white soft frame, perfectly accented by the coke bottle lenses?

He's a 6-string Adonis.

Binky is secretly IMing him as we speak......

kwame k
03-26-2009, 01:39 AM
The blood spewing shit was the funniest thing about that image.

Satan
03-26-2009, 01:53 AM

Personally, I'm offended that you would call pictures like that "satanic" http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/teufel/d085.gif

LoungeMachine
03-26-2009, 02:04 AM
Why does Satan live in Brentwood Tenn???

kwame k
03-26-2009, 02:08 AM
Why does Satan live in Brentwood Tenn???

Tax exemptions?

Satan
03-26-2009, 02:50 AM
Guess you guys missed this thread?

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/non-vh-dlr-related-stuff/54168-satan-alive-well-living-brentwood-tennessee.html

LoungeMachine
03-26-2009, 05:04 PM
A fresh canvas with which to throw my keeses.......

LoungeMachine
03-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Actually, I'm quite ticklish back there...

Satan is a Gen-Xer? Funny, hanging out with many gen x-ers make me feel like I'm in hell.

How ironic.

LoungeMachine
03-26-2009, 05:13 PM
My Aim Is True

LoungeMachine
03-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Elvis Costello reference? Daayyyyymm. How many times did you hit the avatar?

The 3 best shots are all mine.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tI4Qel8qvW0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tI4Qel8qvW0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LoungeMachine
03-26-2009, 08:45 PM
damn sticker valentines....

A gen-xer into EC. A true Renaissance woman if there ever was one....

Nitro Express
03-27-2009, 01:56 AM
My grandfather was a self-made millionare and he had only a sixth grade education. He was the best person with numbers I had ever seen. He could add stuff up in his head that most people would need a calculator for.

Blaze
03-28-2009, 08:54 AM
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/lCJ3Oz5JVKs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/lCJ3Oz5JVKs&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

:lmao:

FORD
03-28-2009, 02:00 PM
I thought Billy Idol was the Gen X'er?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z2xBEQdHXr8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z2xBEQdHXr8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ally_Kat
03-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Orthography (Time, one hour)
[Do we even know what this is??]

phonics, spelling, grammar...

Susie Q
03-30-2009, 06:40 AM
Oh, come on....

The spandex hiked up to the armpits, set against the pasty white soft frame, perfectly accented by the coke bottle lenses?

He's a 6-string Adonis.

Binky is secretly IMing him as we speak......

Lounge, I was having a SERIOUSLY shitty day yesterday which kinda bled into this morning, and you know what? You made me laugh so hard I damn near choked on my coffee this morning.

From the bottom of my freakin' heart....THANK YOU!!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

hideyoursheep
03-30-2009, 07:40 AM
Ace Diamond Experience on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads (http://www.myspace.com/acediamondexperience)

This is his myspace. He's quite proud of it, I must say....WARNING: Have a drink first.

Woah!!

I'm suprised he's so heavy.

He ought to be in pretty good shape, all the running away from people trying to throw a net over him!

Blaze
03-30-2009, 09:57 AM
8. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
Due to the tilt of the earth axis.

Hardrock69
04-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Wait, I remember Amerigo Vespucci also landed in the New World before Columbus; thus the name "America."

No. Everyone in America, even the Library of Congress, believes that America is named after Amerigo Vespucci. This cannot be true as countries and other notable discoveries are always named after the surname of the person concerned.

Richard Amerike (or Ameryk) pronounced America (c. 1445–1503) was a wealthy English born merchant, Royal customs officer and Sheriff of Welsh descent. He was the principal owner of John Cabot's ship Matthew during his voyage of exploration to North America in 1497[1]. Amerike is chiefly remembered because of old documents rediscovered in 1955, proving the discovery of Newfoundland in 1479 prompting Columbus's voyage of discovery in 1492. It is speculated that "America" is derived from his name, owing to his sponsorship of the voyages to Newfoundland, rather than from Amerigo Vespucci, the map-maker.

Richard Amerike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Amerike)

With Newfoundland being a part of the North American continent, it can safely be said that Columbus sailed to America 13 years after it was first discovered.

But then, back in Kansas in 1895, if I had dared lip off to the teacher by saying Columbus discovered did NOT discover America, he would have taken advantage of the fact that the times were not politically correct back then, and he would have gotten a wooden paddle and would have beat the living shit out of me.
:D

Hardrock69
04-01-2009, 03:24 PM
There was a troll here a while back, who tended to type all in caps.

When asked to STFU, he explained that he was actually legally blind, and that he had software that typed his replies for him, as he spoke to the computer.

When we explained that was impossible, he then changed his story to "I type in all caps because that's the only way I can see the screen.

Then he said his "burly biker" roommate typed his repsonses for him, so we better watch out.

Then he claimed to be HIV+, with only weeks to live.

Then he said he got a second opinion, and the doctor told him the false-positive was the result of the antibiotics he was taking for a toothache.

But then again, this is the same clown who claims that he is the great0nephew of Howard Hughes, and that his father forced him to have a vasectomy at the age of 8, at the UCLA med ctr, performed by his uncle, against his will, because the family didnt want him to procreate.

Oh, on a side note. He's a personal friend, and telephone buddy of one cadaverdog. :D

I need a drink after typing that.

I remember that sad bastard. I laughed my fucking ass off as well!
:D

Kristy
04-01-2009, 05:46 PM
1895...? Probably the last good year that State ever saw. I wonder how many Mennonites or Phelps Nazis were living there before that.

And yes, I am partially blaming organized religion in this country for dumbing it down to that horrid state it is in today.

LoungeMachine
04-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Partially?

Kristy
04-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I blame the glut of "reality TV" as well.

LoungeMachine
04-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Just watched Maher's Religilous again....

Reality TV has nothing on the mass psychosis masked as "organized" religion.