PDA

View Full Version : Concert Etiquette do's and don'ts

Va Beach VH Fan
03-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Not a bad list from this guy, here's my .02...

- Completely disagree on the "Spillage" opinion. If someone accidently knocks over my $8 beer, whether they're belligerent or not, I'm going to ask them to buy me another one.
- Gotta love the "Show Eddie Money how much you love him!" line
- I agree with the smoking cigarettes part, but you're pretty naive if you think you're going to abolish smoking weed at a concert (and that's coming from someone who has done virtually neither of each in his 44 years)
- Who in the fuck ever said it's uncool to wear a Van Halen T-shirt to a VH concert, or to play Metallica music at a Metallica show ?? Now I do agree with wearing the old T-shirts, it does get quite the reaction (as can be read by Pojo's Greensboro review - http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/david-lee-roth-news/50333-quest-mighty-van-halen-2.html#post1244560)

http://www.contracostatimes.com/music/ci_12004012?nclick_check=1

Commentary: At concerts, too many fans behaving badly
By Jim Harrington
Oakland Tribune
Posted: 03/29/2009 01:00:00 AM PDT

The Bay Area concert scene shifts into high gear in April, with shows by such heavyweights as Bruce Springsteen, Lily Allen, Leonard Cohen, Fall Out Boy and Britney Spears.

May is even more jam-packed, with dates scheduled for the Dead, the Allman Brothers, Jimmy Buffett, Jane's Addiction and the Decemberists, to name a few. Factor in Phish, Dave Matthews Band, Coldplay, U2, Eric Clapton and other top acts revving up their summer tour buses, and 2009 has the potential to be one of the Bay Area's biggest years for concerts.

That's why it's time to discuss concert etiquette.

There is a right way and a wrong way to attend concerts. Many music lovers, unfortunately, are guilty of the latter. We like to think that's not because they feel their ticket stubs entitles them to act improperly, but because no one has taught them proper concert etiquette.

That's where we come in. We've come up with eight points of order designed to improve the concertgoing experience for you and — more important — the people sitting (or standing) around you.

Quiet, please

It may come as a surprise to some, but many people come to concerts to actually hear the artists. They didn't come to listen to you jibber-jabber away on the cell phone, chat up your buddies or sing along at the top of your lungs to the music. Sure, there's a difference between a Jimmy Buffett show at an outdoor amphitheater and a concert in a symphony hall, but rules of common courtesy still apply. So please, watch your volume and try to limit your talking. To tell if you're exceeding proper levels, just look at the faces of the fans around you — their expressions will speak volumes.

The fun czar

The most annoying person at any show is the dude who believes that you're just not having enough fun. He's the guy that yells, "Come on! Stand up and dance! Show Eddie Money how much you love him!"

Don't be this guy. People enjoy live music in different ways, and one perfectly acceptable fashion is to just sit quietly and listen. Nobody likes a fun czar.

Smoking is not hot

Despite the fact that smoking is illegal in the general seating areas at concert venues, people still huff and puff cigarettes, both tobacco and the other variety, with astonishing regularity. Apparently, these people missed the memos on the perils of secondhand smoke. The best rule to follow here is, simply: Don't!

And, if you must, you can do several things to limit the inconvenience your habit inflicts on others, such as only lighting up in designated areas or asking those around you if they mind the smoke. For those who decline to adopt such simple courtesies, and keep right on blowing smoke in the direction of others, we can only wish that they someday attend a concert and sit next to a big guy chewing tobacco ("Oops, did that hit your shoe?"). That should have them rethinking their own behavior.

Proud to be a fan

Some believe it's uncool to wear a Van Halen T-shirt to a Van Halen show. Some folks say you shouldn't play Metallica in the parking lot before a Metallica concert. The reasoning is that it makes you seem like "too much of a fan" — as if paying $150 for a ticket didn't already make that obvious. We think that rationale is ridiculous. If you love the band, let it show — both in the parking lot and on your back.

But there are some caveats. It's much cooler to wear a shirt from an artist's previous tour, as opposed to the one you just snagged at the merchandise booth, because it shows you've been following the act for years. Likewise, tailgaters shouldn't just blast the artist's overplayed radio hits repeatedly, which would signal that you're an annoying novice. The guy that plays "Enter Sandman" 10 times in a row is the biggest dork in the Metallica parking lot.

Let's dance

What if you are the only person in the crowd that wants to stand up and dance? Does your ticket guarantee you the right to boogie, even if you end up blocking the view of others? The judgment here is that it does not. Conversely, some believe they have the right to order others to sit down, even though thousands are up and dancing. That's equally wrong. The simple rule of thumb, in this case, is to go with the flow. Don't be the one guy that's standing and dancing, but also don't assume that a whole section of dancers will cool their heels just so you can sit down.

Just passing by

You don't own the row you're sitting in, so don't make people feel guilty if they need to walk down the aisle in front of you. Instead, help expedite their trip (to the concession stand, bathroom, etc.) by standing up to let them pass. On the flip side, nobody likes to share a row with the person who makes 20 trips to lobby. So, please, try to limit your trips through the aisle. The best way to do that is to go easy on the alcohol consumption, which, by the way, will also make following the other rules of etiquette easier.

Frisky business

Live music brings out the exhibitionist in some people who use the venue as an opportunity to put on their own show that often pushes the boundaries of a PG-13 rating. To that we say: "Get a room." It's perfectly fine and understandable to get affectionate with your loved one at a concert, but use common sense. Save the "9½ Weeks" re-enactment for when you get home.

Spillage

If somebody knocks over your drink while engaging in normal concert behavior — i.e., walking down the aisle — that person does not have to buy you a new one. It's the drinker's responsibility to take care of his beverage at a concert, which means not placing the cold one on the floor where it can be easily kicked over as well as other acts of common sense. Yet, if a person upends your drink while doing something silly, like trying to start a mosh pit in the reserved seats, then he or she should replace it.

twonabomber
03-29-2009, 04:13 PM
regular concertgoers aren't always the problem. the people who go to one or two shows every couple years are worse.

Terry
03-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Just strikes me as a bit funny reading some of these guide lines...

Coming of concert-going age in the 1980s, one of my earliest concert memories was at a Black Sabbath/Quiet Riot show in 1983, where two chicks went up to one of the concert hall ushers standing in an aisle inside the venue while the show was going on, asked to borrow a lighter, then proceeded to heat up some dope in a spoon while standing right next to him and took turns shooting each other up.

Another memory I have was seeing Aerosmith in 1985, and watching a mini-riot happening on the floor while the show was going on, complete with baseball bats and chains being swung.

Some yuppie pussies spilling beer or gabbing on cell phones seems like small potatoes after that kind of education.

Panamark
03-30-2009, 09:30 PM
- Please listen when they tell you to move back !

After being crushed by 20,000 people against
the front wall of the stage at a Metallica concert
(no, there were no security barriers back then)
I have to say if the crowd kept pushing forward for
another minute I would have croaked..
Fooken scary !!

Terry
03-30-2009, 10:19 PM
- Please listen when they tell you to move back !

After being crushed by 20,000 people against
the front wall of the stage at a Metallica concert
(no, there were no security barriers back then)
I have to say if the crowd kept pushing forward for
another minute I would have croaked..
Fooken scary !!

Had something similar happen at a Ramones concert...a gig at a fairly large college gymnasium with no seats. We got there early and got to the front. The barrier at the front was about chest-high. Soon as the band came on, everyone in the back pushed to the front and were crushing everyone in the front up against the barriers. People in the front were being grabbed by the front-line security and hoisted up between the front-row barriers and the stage so they wouldn't get crushed or trampled. Luckily I managed to work my way to the side and move towards the back, but it took several songs to do it...getting pinned against a barrier like that was not a pleasant experience.

Seshmeister
03-30-2009, 11:02 PM
I don't understand.

Why would you not expect that kind of shit in the second row of that kind of show? If you don't like that then don't go down the front.

Panamark
03-31-2009, 12:19 AM
Sesh, I had been down the front every other gig..
First time this shit had happened to me. I think the crowd just went
nuts (first time Metallica played Melbourne).
There was a support act on, I had space around me...
Once the lights went dark and the shadowed figures started
to make way to their places, fook me...

It was like a metal tsunami !!

Panamark
03-31-2009, 12:21 AM
I havent been so keen to go up front ever since..

Panamark
03-31-2009, 12:23 AM
That's what happened at a Danzig show that I attended. I was up front second row from the barricade. I had already had a scratch on my cheek from the zippered sleeve of a girl next to me. Then I started feeling pain in my chest. I fished my arm out of somewhere to reach up to see if I had an open wound. What I felt was actually the shoulder blade of the guy before me digging into me. Still there were more people shoving their way to the front. Guys would be pushing their girlfriends through the crowd, and of course, the crowd sees a woman and it parts. So she gets in and so does the boyfriend.

Man, chicks must get totally molested at some gigs....
I used to wrap myself around my GF like an octopus...

Seshmeister
03-31-2009, 05:43 AM
The reason I asked was that Chan implied she always goes down the front and then expects it to be a walk in the park.

If we had girls with us you either left them at the back and met after the show or more often stayed with them nearer the back.

Nowadays we tend to watch from the bar, the front of a gig like that is for young guys not girls or the elderly... :)

hideyoursheep
03-31-2009, 06:35 AM
I don't understand.

Why would you not expect that kind of shit in the second row of that kind of show? If you don't like that then don't go down the front.

Sometimes, you don't know what's going to happen until it's too late.

I was on the floor for Danzig back in the day, but I waited until after the 3rd song to squeeze in, once the crowd bounced back a little.

After that, it was pretty smooth sailing, until I went to the bar...I don't remember much after ...oh yeah...the 2 girls complaining about being molested by the crowd....I put 1 up on my shoulders...till the Yellowjacket told me to put her down.

The first 2 rows?

Fuck that, I wanna see the show. It was like playing basketball in an elevator...fucking elbows flying everywhere.

urban
03-31-2009, 09:29 AM
If we had girls with us you either left them at the back and met after the show or more often stayed with them nearer the back.

Maybe concert etiquettes are/were better in Holland????
I'm a girl :pullinghair: and ages ago I visited Van Halen, UFO, Iron Maiden, Saxon and Guns 'n Roses and I was always in the front, no problem!

Now I'm an elderly still waiting for Van Halen to visit Holland!!!
:indifferent0020:

Terry
03-31-2009, 09:18 PM
Sometimes, you don't know what's going to happen until it's too late.

The first 2 rows?

Fuck that, I wanna see the show. It was like playing basketball in an elevator...fucking elbows flying everywhere.

Exactly. In the blink of an eye, you're getting crushed.

Hey, I go to shows to have a good time. Not to get my ribs smashed up against a barricade.

That Ramones show was the last time I stood in the front row on the floor at any show.

Panamark
03-31-2009, 09:49 PM
The reason I asked was that Chan implied she always goes down the front and then expects it to be a walk in the park.

Nowadays we tend to watch from the bar, the front of a gig like that is for young guys not girls or the elderly... :)

Totally agree ! Now that we are in the "Elderly" bracket, I think
the bar is a better option anyway. Dont have to walk as far
to get a drink or take a piss ;)

Va Beach VH Fan
03-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Totally agree ! Now that we are in the "Elderly" bracket, I think
the bar is a better option anyway. Dont have to walk as far
to get a drink or take a piss ;)

Oh hell yeah, those days looooooooooooooooooooog gone.....

Angel
03-31-2009, 11:34 PM
My concert days started mid-70's, and I was always up front and centre! Never a problem, and who cared if my ass got grabbed - it was the days of free love anyway.;)

sadaist
04-01-2009, 12:08 AM
If you can hear people talking, then the band you are seeing is clearly not loud enough. I remember at the recent VH show screaming at the top of my lungs directly into a friends ear at point blank range "PASS ME YOUR BEER!!!!" & him yelling back "FUCK YEAH!...THAT SONG KICKS ASS!!!"

Panamark
04-01-2009, 12:20 AM
If you can hear people talking, then the band you are seeing is clearly not loud enough. I remember at the recent VH show screaming at the top of my lungs directly into a friends ear at point blank range "PASS ME YOUR BEER!!!!" & him yelling back "FUCK YEAH!...THAT SONG KICKS ASS!!!"

Thats what I would have said too :)

Seshmeister
04-01-2009, 08:39 AM
My concert days started mid-70's, and I was always up front and centre! Never a problem, and who cared if my ass got grabbed - it was the days of free love anyway.;)

Yeah but you are just about the only person I know who is even older than the flag of their country FFS. :D