X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Train
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

I guess I won't get to buy that new Camaro

I actually did want to buy the 550 horse Z28, but I guess they will end up making Volts that don't entirely work right...that should turn things around, right quick. Although that said, this guy should go.

GM CEO resigns at Obama's behest
    By: Mike Allen
    March 29, 2009 05:23 PM EST

The Obama administration asked Rick Wagoner, the chairman and CEO of General Motors, to step down and he agreed, a White House official said.

Wagoner's departure is one of the remarkable strings attached to a new aid package the administration plans to offer GM.

The White House confirmed Wagoner was leaving at the government's behest after The Associated Press reported his immediate departure, without giving a reason.

On Monday, President Obama is to unveil his plans for the auto industry, including a response to a request for additional funds by GM and Chrysler.

Industry sources had said the White House planned very tough medicine, which turned out to be an understatement. And it went to the very top. The measures to be imposed by the government will have a dramatic effect on workers, unions, suppliers, retirees and the communities where plants are located, the sources said.

GM and Chrysler have to prove their viability as a condition of a federal bailout released under former President George W. Bush, and both have asked the current administration for more money.

Obama said Friday in an interview with CBS’s “Face the Nation,” broadcast Sunday, that the carmakers were going to have to do more.

“There's been some serious efforts to deal with a combination of long-standing problems in the auto industry,” the president told host Bob Schieffer. “What we're trying to let them know is that we want to have a successful auto industry, U.S. auto industry. We think we can have a successful U.S. auto industry. But it's got to be one that's realistically designed to weather this storm and to emerge at the other end much more lean, mean and competitive than it currently is.

See Also

Obama to bankers: 'Help me help you'
    Obama: More troops not enough
    VIDEO: Geithner: End booms, busts

“And that's gonna mean a set of sacrifices from all parties involved — management, labor, shareholders, creditors, suppliers, dealers. Everybody's gonna have to come to the table and say it's important for us to take serious restructuring steps now in order to preserve a brighter future down the road."

Schieffer followed up: “But they're not there yet.”

Obama added: “They're not there yet.”

© 2009 Capitol News Company, LLC
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

The President has no business telling businessmen what to do...

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

GM's chairman is forced out by U.S. rescue plan

Obama also sets deadlines for automakers to show viability

March 30, 2009

The Obama administration is taking another bold step into government management of General Motors, forcing out the head of the crumbling company as part of sweeping plan to reshape the American auto industry and extend additional money to GM and Chrysler to give them more time to restructure.

President Barack Obama will announce his plan for the industry Monday, setting a timetable for the ailing automakers to get on a path to viability and threatening to force possible bankruptcy or to cut off aid should significant progress not be made.

As part of the deal, the administration pushed out Rick Wagoner, GM's chairman and chief executive officer, effective immediately. The move was aimed at giving the company the chance to restart with "a clean sheet of paper," according to senior administration officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.

In addition, Obama will name a director for auto communities, a new executive-branch czar charged with providing support to laid-off auto workers and their families.

Rejecting blanket financial aid, the government is giving GM 60 more days to reach goals it has missed so far to show that it can be viable. It is giving Chrysler 30 days to reach a merger with automaker Fiat or be cut off from further aid.

Wagoner, who has been the company's top executive since 2000, has come under increasing fire over the past year as GM's financial condition has deteriorated. In his eight years at the helm, GM has lost $68 billion and the company's stock value has declined 95 percent.

Wagoner was asked to leave GM as part of that plan, said an administration official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to talk publicly. No indication was given that similar leadership changes would be asked of Chrysler.

GM spokesmen would not confirm Wagoner's departure, but a source familiar with internal discussions at GM said it was likely that company President Fritz Henderson would succeed Wagoner as chief executive.

Appearing on CBS' Face the Nation, Obama said Sunday that the nation could have a "successful U.S. auto industry. ... But it's got to be one that's realistically designed to weather this storm and to emerge at the other end much more lean, mean and competitive than it currently is," he said.

With sales collapsing last fall, GM warned that it would run out of money by year's end without federal support. The Bush administration gave it $13.4billion in federal loans. Chrysler, which also requested help, received $4billion.

On Feb. 17, both companies submitted restructuring plans, including more loan requests. GM asked for up to $16.6billion in further aid, while Chrysler requested $5billion.

In nearly six weeks since then, an auto industry task force headed by Treasury Secretary Timothy F. Geithner has been meeting with key stakeholders, including auto executives, the United Auto Workers union leadership and representatives for bondholders owed billions of dollars by the two companies.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Jan 2007

Yeah, I just seen the crawl "bulletin" on Faux Noise about this...

I also have to add that Fox referred to GM as a fledgling company.

Jesus...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
          Then they have no business asking for fucking public loans and bailouts!

Comment

• WACF
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh

You guys are both right.

These bailouts are really changing the way business is/should be done.

A slippery slope IMO...

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
              not when they could have made changes on their own before they were "forced" to.
              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The fucking right wingers are trying to enable GM & Chrysler to "reorganize" which actually means "fuck the unions". This will not solve the problem, and will only make things worse.

GM moving into the goddamn 21st century, rather than attempting to recreate 40 year old gas hogs that are no longer practical, is what's necessary. Also, moving to a single payer health care system would take that burden off of GM (and any other companies)
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

I do say fuck the unions...

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I do say fuck the unions...
                    And by saying so you're only fucking yourself.

** NURSES UNITE **
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• jbriggs246
                      Roth Army Recruit
                      • Mar 2009

I don't want jobs to be lost but I also don't think an ailing business should be bailed out by our government. No win situation if you ask me.

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD
                        And by saying so you're only fucking yourself.

** NURSES UNITE **
                        Why?

Uedcutated people assembling automobiles via computer technology should make $60 - $70 dollars an hour when I have a hard time making $20 ??

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

And that nurses unite link is bullshit!

All it does is make it impossible to fire or get rid of an employee who may be abusing their job, their patients, or themselves...

Fuck that!

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Why?

Uedcutated people assembling automobiles via computer technology should make $60 - $70 dollars an hour when I have a hard time making $20 ??
                            So does that mean they should give up their union jobs, or you should get one?

BTW that "$60 - 70 an hour" thing is total bullshit. Some cheap labor right wingers manufactured that number by averaging wages and benefits to all living UAW members, including retirees. It would be much like averaging a McDonalds employee with Warren Buffett and claiming their "average" salary was $100 million.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• WACF
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Why?

That 60-70 includes all benefits besides just wage.

I would imagine your 20 would look bigger if you took that into account.

Comment

Working...