Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

A Dumb Fucking Idea, for a Dumb Fucking Reason

Originally published Monday, March 30, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Oregon bill would let bikes roll past stop signs

Seattle Times staff and news services

A bill to allow bicyclists to roll through stop signs, but only in residential neighborhoods, is drawing some fire in the Oregon Legislature.

The measure is sponsored by a freshman legislator, Rep. Jules Bailey, D-Portland.

Advocates argue that allowing bicyclists to make rolling stops makes it easier to maintain momentum, encouraging cycling in general.

Also, they say, most bicyclists roll through stop signs anyway if there's no traffic.

The proposed law, the supporters add, would draw cyclists away from busy but dangerous arterial streets with few stops and into neighborhoods that have little traffic and many stops.

Critics argue the results of the bill could be lethal.

The measure is modeled after a similar law in Idaho that allows bicyclists to treat stop signs like yield signs.

Politics | Oregon bill would let bikes roll past stop signs | Seattle Times Newspaper
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Bicyclists, and their disdain for following the RULES OF THE ROAD are a fucking pet peeve of mine to begin with...

But allowing them to just ROLL through stop signs, in hopes it will encourage ridership????

Are you fucking kidding me?

It will encourage organ donorship is all....

Fucking Idiot Lawmakers Run Amok

Comment

• lesfunk
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

They should pass a law allowing bikes to STAY OFF THE FUCKING ROAD!
      http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• LoungeMachine
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jul 2004

I believe if bicyclists want to "share the road", then they should "share the burden"

Follow ALL traffic laws.

Be Licensed to ride on an arterial or main thouroughfare

Each bike [aka vehicle] must have a yearly renewel tab, of which the funds go to painting in their lanes, etc....

I honestly have NOTHING against the riders who obey the rules, and respect other drivers.

It's the assholes who think because they're wearing lycra on a $4K bike that they own the fucking road.

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

I don't what all the fuss is. Most bicyclists in Oregon are too stoned to know what a stop sign is much less understand its meaning.

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

As an avid biker (that uses the damned thing for more than simple recreational use) there are two things that appall me the most:

1. Drivers that think it is a hoot to attempt to come as close to a biker as possible (including weaving into bike lanes to "buzz" the cyclist) and being idiotically arrogant in their assumption that they have a right to the road..

2. Imbeciles on bikes, disregarding traffic laws (riding against the traffic, in the middle of a lane holding up vehicular traffic) and being idiotically (and suicidally) arrogant in their assumption that they have a right to the road.

No, I'm not some hopelessly naive simpleton that believes we should all equally share the road, even though that is the inherent idea. A law was passed in this state last year ensuring at least a three foot margin must be maintained by all vehicles passing a cyclist. The reality being, if I depended on this "barrier" for my own safety, I would have been dead the day it was signed into practice.

People driving have too much distracting them as it is, such as cellphones, stereos, looking for an address, other clueless drivers ect to even notice a bicycle most of the time. I get that. Yet this does not forgive some of the dorks out there that are not at least attempting to drive with some common sense. By the same token, cyclists have to be responsible not only for their own actions, yet those of drivers as well. Those bikers that flagrantly disregard the rules of the road along with common courtesy for their fellow travelers are just as guilty of being shit-heads as those they accuse.

It has been my experience that if you get run over while riding a bike, it's your own damned fault. If you are expecting some semblance of courtesy on the road, then you deserve to be hit, as it proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are too fucking stupid to be out on the highway in the first place.

Do me a favor: take the bus, and quit giving the rest of us a bad name, while making us targets (by your moronic actions) of pissed off drivers everywhere.
            Last edited by chefcraig; 03-31-2009, 06:27 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• lesfunk
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

and another thing , Quit dressing like Jesters . I pass a guy on a bike and I expect him to pull over and start Juggling!

Comment

• lesfunk
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                As an avid biker (that uses the damned thing for more than simple recreational use) there are two things that appall me the most:

1. Drivers that think it is a hoot to attempt to come as close to a biker as possible (including weaving into bike lanes to "buzz" the cyclist) and being idiotically arrogant in their assumption that they have a right to the road..

KillJoy!:tongue0011:

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
                  KillJoy!:tongue0011:
                  Hey, I hear ya. At times, I'd like to run over some of these knuckle-heads myself.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                    A bill to allow bicyclists to roll through stop signs, but only in residential neighborhoods, is drawing some fire in the Oregon Legislature.
                    Duh, it's obvious that getting hit by a car only going 25MPH doesn't hurt...
                    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• chefcraig
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                      Duh, it's obvious that getting hit by a car only going 25MPH doesn't hurt...
                      Absolutely. After all, it simply depends upon how you land.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Perhaps a law saying that all pedestrians outside of a crosswalk are fair game, thus controlling the over-population problem we face.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

I don't what all the fuss is. Most bicyclists in Oregon are too stoned to know what a stop sign is much less understand its meaning.
                          LOL! I used to live in Portland and Eugene. I saw some topless hippie chick riding around one day in Eugene. I think the lawmakers in Oregon are also stoned. The place is a combination of stoned hippies, drug addicted runaways, and commercial fishermen and out of work loggers who want to kill everyone.
                          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Kristy
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                            LOL! I used to live in Portland and Eugene. I saw some topless hippie chick riding around one day in Eugene. I think the lawmakers in Oregon are also stoned. The place is a combination of stoned hippies, drug addicted runaways, and commercial fishermen and out of work loggers who want to kill everyone.

Oh, and don't forget about the WHITE male college drop out with dreads. Some spots of that town are like an endless Counting Crows concert.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

LoveJoy District, anyone?

Comment

Working...