X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andy Taylor
    Banned
    • Jan 2009

Rock bio's you like

My fave's probably Crazy from the heat, only read it last year. Made quite an impression on me, especially the bit about avoiding large groups of people. Really insightful given that he was a kid at the time.

Another one I like is one that I recently finished and it's Engelbert Humperdinck's bio. I'm not even a fan of the guy I picked it up out of curiosity. But it's surprisingly entertaining; he's a good story teller and he's also hilarious! Most amusing parts was where he was repeatedly chased (literally) by gay music industry people. He locked the door on one at night and was threatened to open up. I'd recommend it to anyone.

At the other end you have Sting who's great with words and I thought he'd have something intelligent to say but he tried turning the most mundane things into long wordy tripe. Including the time "I first ejaculated into my hand". Good if you like Sting but it's a struggle...
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Although its accuracy is questionable, "The Dirt" by Motley
    Crue was an entertaining read. (cue to sesh !)
    Even if half of it was BS, still had a good laugh..
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Out of all of them, by far the best ones have to be One Train Later by Andy Summers and Slash's autobiography. Both are intelligently written, and are fairly honest (OK, they appear to be honest) books that admit mistakes were made. And this points to the basic problem with this genre: By and large, rock stars are fucking idiots. For the most part, they are perpetual teenagers in a state of arrested development, that apparently cruise through life with little regard for the consequences of their actions, suffering major defeats that most of us would find trifling, while skating over mind-numbingly awful events as if they were mere hiccups or bumps in the highway.

Three of the worst I've read lately were the "stories" of Eric Clapton, Ron Wood and Mick Fleetwood. These dolts come nowhere near the concept of embracing the truth of what has happened to them, and seem to live in very strange, vacuous bubbles devoid of any experience the average person can relate to. Aside from some narcissism that is downright difficult to read, their remembrances are hazy (drugs and alcohol will warp a memory) and at times laughably full of bullshit. I've mentioned this in the past, yet it bears repeating: Wood remembers sitting in an office with Peter Grant, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham, wherein he was being offered the guitarist's position for Led Zeppelin. And he says this with a straight face.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Panamark
        Although its accuracy is questionable, "The Dirt" by Motley
        Crue was an entertaining read. (cue to sesh !)
        Even if half of it was BS, still had a good laugh..
        Beat me to it, some crazy shit in there..

Tommyland is quite similar....
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Slash's autobiography is a good read.

I recently finished a bio of Iggy Pop ('Open Up And Bleed') which is the best I've read - very well researched and clearly written.

'The Dirt' was good for a laugh....
          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Coyote
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

The new Hanoi Rocks book (titled "All Those Wasted Years") is an outstanding read.

Got it a few days ago and I'm already halfway through the almost 450 pages...
            Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
              Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

I'm partway through reading Ronnie by ro Wood and it's pretty good. I also had to question the part where he describes the meeting with Led Zeppelin, though....
              Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Jack68
                Commando
                • Sep 2004

The Johnny Cash auto Cash from 97 is a great read.Keith Moons book Dear boy is great also.
                "Avant Garde is French for bullshit.”

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

"Hungry for the Cock" the Duran Duran story.

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
                    I'm partway through reading Ronnie by ro Wood and it's pretty good. I also had to question the part where he describes the meeting with Led Zeppelin, though....
                    i've had the book about a year and have barely looked at it.

i like the Keith Richards bio by Victor Bockris. Keith is supposedly working on his own book. Wyman's Stone Alone is good.
                    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Andy Taylor
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by chefcraig
                      Out of all of them, by far the best ones have to be One Train Later by Andy Summers
                      Cool, a bio by another Policeman. I'll read this if it's in the library since it probably lacks Sting's pompous take on things.

Comment

• chefcraig
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Andy Taylor
                        Cool, a bio by another Policeman. I'll read this if it's in the library since it probably lacks Sting's pompous take on things.
                        Technically, all three have published bios, if you include Stewart Copeland's "Everyone Stares", his video journal of the band. Whereas Sting's book was a labor to read, the Summers book is laugh out loud funny in places, and strikingly poignant in others. Highly recommended.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Andy Taylor
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2009

It's on my list. Maybe I should look up the Copeland vid on torrent shares.

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Andy Taylor
                            It's on my list. Maybe I should look up the Copeland vid on torrent shares.
                            Do an online search of the libraries in your area. For instance, in this region they are all connected, and if one branch has a copy of a disc or book you request, they will ship it to your local branch in a couple of days. As some of these things are 25 bucks or more new, it truly is worth spending a few minutes to see if you can borrow it for free.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Andy Taylor
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2009

Yep, I think they do have such a provision.

I actually had a plan of asking if I could donate my copy of Van Halen 101 to them since they have no VH, but then I decided it would be pointless.

Comment

Working...