Clear All
  • LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

China Plans Universal Healthcare

April 8, 2009

China plans to bring basic healthcare to all

Jane Macartney in Beijing

Healthcare is the No.1 concern among Chinese, ranking above security, education and even employment. Now the Government has unveiled a 10-year plan aimed at bringing affordable medical services to even the poorest farmer and calming rising public anger.

The plan has been several years in the drafting and full details have yet to be made public. However, the Government says it will invest 850 billion yuan (£85 billion) between 2009 and 2011 to bring equitable healthcare to 90 per cent of China’s 1.3 billion people.

A government document said: “By 2020, China will have a basic healthcare system that can provide safe, effective, convenient and affordable health services to urban and rural residents. The core principle of the reform is to provide basic health care as a 'public service' to the people, which requires much more government funding and supervision."

The goal seems to be to eradicate a system in which only the rich, city residents or those employed by government organisations had any hope of access to affordable medical services. China’s 700 million or so farmers often chose to stay at home to die rather than to bankrupt their family with huge hospital bills.

Long gone are the days of the Maoist cradle-to-grave welfare system under which housing, health care, jobs and even winter cabbage supplies were provided for free. The Communist Party began the swift dismantling of that system with the introduction of market-oriented economic reforms in the 1980s. But many people got left behind.

In the absence of a social safety net, Chinese save a huge proportion of their income to ensure they have a nest egg in case of sickness. That trend has made it difficult for the Government to encourage more consumer spending to help to revive the economy since last year's sudden downturn.

A searing indictment of the medical system published by a government think-tank in 2005 served as a wake-up call to the leadership of the risks of ignoring healthcare. The report branded the system a failure and warned of severe public criticism of the Government if it did not act.

People were horrified by one tale of a three-year-old boy scalded by boiling water in an accident at his home and who died of his injuries after his parents were turned away from one hospital because they could not afford a £1,500 deposit demanded by doctors.

Under the new plan, the authorities will build 2,000 county hospitals and 5,000 township clinics in rural areas in the next three years. Pilot health insurance schemes already extended to many farmers will be increased. That subsidy will be increased by 50 per cent to 120 yuan (£12) per person per year. The country will set up a national database and, from this year, anyone over 65 and children under three will be eligible for regular free checkups.

Hospitals and clinics in the poor countryside and less developed cities will be improved and the price of essential medicines will be capped. Disease prevention and control, maternal health, mental health and first aid services will also receive greater attention.

China has long struggled to extend some type of universal coverage, but funding such a vast system has been a persistent problem. At present, insurance is mainly provided to working-age urban residents, often through their employers or government agencies. The new reforms envision diversified medical insurance systems to give coverage to employees in the private sector, non-working urbanites and residents of the poor countryside.

Limiting the cost of medicines could make a huge difference to patients, for whom these charges are among the most widespread abuses. One editorial in the state-run China Daily said: “The Government's good intention could be just wishful thinking if no specific measures were taken to break the nexus between representatives of medicine manufacturers and doctors or between hospitals and manufacturers. It is an open secret that some doctors get kickbacks from drug manufacturers for prescribing their drugs.

China plans to bring basic healthcare to all - Times Online
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • Big Train
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

We are running behind them also on:

Horrible Human rights
    Pollution
    Quality of life

All of ours are still WAY to high to compete with China.

Comment

• Satan
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

So much for the right wing myth that universal health care wouldn't work in the US because "were a lot bigger country than the UK or Sweden or Cuba or whatever".

Wonder how the FAUXsheep are gonna spin this into wool?
      Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
      I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Big Train
        Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

Well, nobody has said or seen what this universal healthcare will actually look like, so it's a bit premature for that statement.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

How many forced female abortions does the US perform compared to China ??

Comment

• thome
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Mar 2005

I guess all that free enterprise health care for the last 7000 years has left all the chinese extinct.

Thank Gad zukkers for Lounge and his dum dum baby brain comments.

Can a communist country survive -without- universal health care? Would probably have better talking points.

Take the last dime out of thier hands and put the control with the central government.

All Lounge talks about is the stupidy of the American System, but his only answers are to give the system control of everything.And then how wonderfull it all will be in Loungetopia.

Perhaps there is a -West Wing Episode- that can help him make a better comment.

Martin Sheen KNOWS!!!! anyone have his addy??? last I saw of him he was walking down a blvd in LA with a 12ft long wooden cross over his shoulder.

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Lmao!

Comment

• Kristy
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

They're going to need it when their cancer rate soars in the next 20 years.

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

The cancer rate is doing the same thing right here...

Comment

• Andy Taylor
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Big Train
                    We are running behind them also on:

Horrible Human rights
                    Not if you include the "human rights" meted out to non-US citizens.

Comment

• Big Train
                      Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

ok, Human Rights per capita...based on sheer numbers, they got us beat.

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

I suddenly have a hankering for some Chinese food.
                        ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                        Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
                          I suddenly have a hankering for some Chinese food.
                          Hit the Wah Kue before they close their doors, counselor.

Some of the best Chinese in the area!

I'm amazed at how conditioned we are as Americans to just accept the fact you health and well being are tied to your class, not your citizenship.

Imagine if every American was afforded the SAME healthcare we GIVE our Congressmen.......
                          Originally posted by Kristy
                          Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                          Originally posted by cadaverdog
                          I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

In all seriousness, there was a really good program about the US health care system on Frontline within the last month. Check it out.
                            ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                            Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

I go to China all the time. It's far from being the paradise many people think it is. In fact, the people there are starting to riot from the shitty factory jobs they have to work in and their exports are way down. If dumb, fat, and unhappy USA can't buy their shit, they don't sell their shit and it hurts them too.

China is the only place where you can cut the breathable air with a knife and eat a piece. Horrible pollution!
                              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...