X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Redballjets88
    Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

Books/Literature Thread

I have been on a bit of a reading kick lately so I thought I would start a thread where folks around here can talk about whatever they have recently read.

I haven't seen another thread like this so I hope this isn't a copy of an older thread.

This week I read Catcher In the Rye in about a day and a half, I loved it and really it pisses me off that it is so widely banned in schools.

Other than that I recently read As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner and have started reading Paradise Lost which has proven to be a very challenging read, so much so that the publisher has footnotes on every page.

Anyone else read anything good lately? Or have recommendations? I mostly enjoy reading classics. I want to read War and Peace sometime but it seems like a hell of a task ha.
    R.I.P Van Halen 1978-1984

hopefully God will ressurect you

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

" I liked Sammy Hagar " FORD
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Redballjets88
    This week I read Catcher In the Rye in about a day and a half, I loved it and really it pisses me off that it is so widely banned in schools.

Uh-oh.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Seriously, if you want to tackle Paradise Lost, I suggest taking a course on John Milton because so much is lost in translation...

You also have to read Moby Dick because it essentially is a parody of PL...

Which is the problem of literature, every time you read something, you need to read something that it alludes too to fully understand its context...
      Last edited by Nickdfresh; 04-12-2009, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• Redballjets88
        Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        Seriously, if you want to tackle Paradise Lost, I suggest taking a course on John Milton because so much is lost in translation...

Which is the problem of literature, every time you read something, you need to read something that it alludes too to fully understand its context...
        Ha don't worry about me shooting anyone over reading the catcher, it didn't get to me that much.

And yeah, it probably would be best to take a course to fully understand whats going on in Paradise Lost, but so far I have a decent handle on what is going on. I mainly will read it with my lap top on and a cliffnotes type site up so I can make sure I got everything in.

You're right about how so many books intertwine with one another, shit I could live at barnes and noble if they let me.

"i wont be messing with you in future.the fearsome redballjets88 for fear of you owning me some more" Axl S

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

And yeah, it probably would be best to take a course to fully understand whats going on in Paradise Lost, but so far I have a decent handle on what is going on. I mainly will read it with my lap top on and a cliffnotes type site up so I can make sure I got everything in.
          If you really want to fuck your head up, dump the Cliff Notes and get a book of critical essays written by college professor types as theses. You'll get into all sorts of often bizarre interpretations. Also keep in mind that there is a whole history behind Milton and he was persecuted I believe because he was an adamant Puritan IIRC...

He also wrote it blind using his daughter as a scribe, at an age (his 60s) when most writers are putting a gun in their mouth or retiring...

You're right about how so many books intertwine with one, shit I could live at barnes and noble if they let me.
          It's often called "intertexts." It is when authors appropriate previous writers works' as metaphor or allusion...

But, actually, Paradise Lost is used as an 'intertext' in the film "Animal House" when Donald Sutherland is "teaching" it and calls Milton boring with terrible jokes...

As for the thread, I'm currently finishing up a WWII historical text on Guadalcanal by Richard Frank...

Comment

• Redballjets88
            Full Member Status

• Mar 2005

another thought...

I bought Ulysses recently, haven't started it yet, but like you pointed out it is a reworking of the Odyssey. From what I have heard it is a masterpiece.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

another thought...

I bought Ulysses recently, haven't started it yet, but like you pointed out it is a reworking of the Odyssey. From what I have heard it is a masterpiece.
              I took a course on it, you're going to have a tough time following the theme and the moment to moment action as it is "stream of consciousness" narration...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by chan_bkny
                I'm reading Delta Of Venus by Anais Nin. It's a collection of short stories written by Ms. Nin when she and Henry Miller were paid to write erotica for an anonymous collector. The writing, the emotional content is more interesting than the titillating factor of the stories.
                Interesting...I've read a little of Miller (Sexus I think) and recall an older lady giving me a dirty look and an older gentleman giving me a wry smile at the library...
                Last edited by Nickdfresh; 04-13-2009, 12:21 AM.

Comment

• Coyote
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

I've been on a Hunter S Thompson kick... "Hell's Angels", "The Great Shark Hunt"...

Started Miller's "Tropic Of Capricorn" again, and I gotta finish Dostojevski's "Brothers Karamazov" some day...
                  Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                  It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Coyote
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Interesting...I've read a little of Miller (Sexus I think) and recall an older lady giving me a dirty look and an older gentleman giving me a wry smile at the library...
                    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• sadaist
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jul 2004

A few recent good books I've read are "The Five People You Meet In Heaven" by Mitch Albom (it's much different than what you might think. I recommend it. He wrote Tuesdays with Morrie which is also a good read), "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" by Tolstoy, and "The Picture of Dorian Gray" Oscar Wilde.

I picked up a box set with three William Faulkner books...Light In August, Sanctuary & The Sound And The Fury. Haven't tackled them yet. I've been told he is a difficult author to read and I haven't had the concentration of late to start one.

And Dave's autobiography was a fun read. I especially liked the details on how they get paid after everyone gets a chunk. Can't wait for the next book to see what's really happening with this current reunion.
                      Last edited by sadaist; 04-13-2009, 06:16 AM.
                      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2004

A few books (fiction) I've read over the last couple of years that I recommend:

Bel Canto
                        A Prayer for Owen Meany
                        Life of Pi
                        Like Water For Elephants
                        ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                        Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

My Pet Goat has always interested me....

Originally posted by Kristy
                          Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                          Originally posted by cadaverdog
                          I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Guitar Shark
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                            My Pet Goat has always interested me....

your poor goat.

p.s. This thread is about Books/Literature, not BestiaLity
                            ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                            Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

• chefcraig
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Apr 2004

Recently finished Mick Brown's Tearing Down The Wall Of Sound, a "take-no-prisoners" type bio on Phil Spector. Quite timely, considering Spector was just found guilty in actress Lana Clarkson's death.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...