PDA

View Full Version : 10 Technological Dinosaurs Almost Extinct

ZahZoo
04-14-2009, 05:44 PM
1. Landline phones: Walk into any college dorm room and ask to use a landline. You'll be met with blank stares. With cell-phone technology continually evolving, it seems that these days only a handful of people are still moving into a new house and having the landline turned on.

2. Floppy disks: Storing something on an external device? C'est possible? Considering the state of computer technology at the end of the 1970s, it's no wonder people were astounded by the usefulness of the 5 1/4-inch wide, 360-KB floppy disk.

A decade later, the disks had shrunk to 3 1/2 inches and their capacity multiplied to a whopping 1.44 MB — enough for a minute and a half of an MP3-file song. If you still have a few lying around, they make great coasters.

3. Wristwatches: Throwing on a fancy watch may make you look professional, but let's be honest. Cell phones and iPods tell you the time when you're out and about, and virtually every appliance in your home — from your refrigerator to your coffeemaker to your television and your DVD player — has a clock. No one wears a wristwatch anymore, unless he or she grew up with one.

4. VHS tape and VCRs: The Vertical Helical Scan — or Video Home System, depending on whom you ask — met a sad death in 2006 when retailers decided there was no room left on their shelves for the big, bulky cassettes. Digital video recorders gave you perfect-looking "time-shifted" TV shows, and DVDs let you skip the previews on rented movies.

Many people still keep VCRs around for when grandparents ask to see that old tape of little Bobby — who's now 22 and fresh out of college — shoving cake into his mouth on his first birthday. And you could always turn your VCR into a toaster.

5. Beepers: Annoying devices designed to beep any and every time anyone felt like reaching you, it wasn't sad at all to see these disappear when cell-phone plans dropped below $50 a month around the year 2000.

6. Film cameras: When Polaroid announced in February 2008 that it would stop selling its famous instant-developing film, people ran out to buy up the remaining stock in order to preserve this unique form of photography. Kodak and Fuji still make film, but they, like Polaroid, are counting on their digital-camera lines to keep them afloat.

7. Typewriters: Once one of the most powerful means of mass communication, the typewriter claimed a spot near the top of the technological food chain for more than 100 years.

Initially entirely manual, electric typewriters caught on after World War II, and the distinctive clickety-clack-whirr of dozens of IBM Selectrics going at once defined corporate life in the 1960s and '70s.

Typewriters did have drawbacks — smudged fingers, only two or three copies at a time and gallons of whiteout to correct mistakes. But today, all that remains is the illogical QWERTY keyboard, which was created to force the typist to go more slowly so the keys wouldn't jam up.

8. The Walkman, Discman and MiniDisc player: The multitasker's dream, the Sony Walkman portable cassette player changed the way the world listened to music in 1979, quickly becoming the hottest accessory of the early 1980s.

In 1984, Sony trumped itself with the introduction of the Discman, the CD version, which allowed for individual tracks instead of one never-ending, albeit varied, song.

Eight years later, a new format, the MiniDisc, essentially a tiny CD in a cartridge, caught on in Europe and Asia. But it fizzled in the U.S., where oblivious Yanks kept on listening to their Discmen until they were killed off by iPods in the early years of this decade.

9. Dial-up Internet access: It's hard to see why anyone would use a phone line to connect to the Internet when there are so many feasible alternatives.

But 9 percent of Internet users in a 2008 Pew Internet and American Life survey still get online that way, and 35 percent of those cite subscription costs — about $10/month compared to an average broadband monthly fee of $35 — as their primary reason for not switching.

America Online tried to nudge its holdouts into the fast lane in 2006 by jacking up dial-up rates, but in early 2009 Earthlink actually lowered its phone-modem fees to $8/month.

Dial-up may seem to belong with smoke signals and carrier pigeons on the communications scrap heap, but if all you're doing is checking your e-mail, it may make sense.

10. DVDs: What's that, you say? How can DVDs be obsolete? Facts don't lie — DVD sales fell off the proverbial cliff in the first three months of 2009, with some retailers reporting a 40 percent drop from the same period a year earlier.

Some of that could be attributed to the recession, but sales of video games, which cost two or three times as much, actually went up about 10 percent.

The fact is that with broadband Internet, you don't need a disc to watch a movie any more. Netflix and Blockbuster have recognized that by rapidly ramping up their online-download services.

Seshmeister
04-14-2009, 07:08 PM
3. Wristwatches: Throwing on a fancy watch may make you look professional, but let's be honest. Cell phones and iPods tell you the time when you're out and about, and virtually every appliance in your home — from your refrigerator to your coffeemaker to your television and your DVD player — has a clock. No one wears a wristwatch anymore, unless he or she grew up with one.

Is that true?

I'm going to have to check out the wrists of young people.

The one I found interesting is someone was telling me that teenagers now ring doorbells with their thumbs rather than their index fingers because they spend so much time sending SMS/text messages.

Cult of Roth
04-14-2009, 08:01 PM
I still have a beeper for work. I could have them go to my cell phone instead, but however my boss set it up, when it goes to my phone I get all of his pages too, and I don't need that shit.

Andy Taylor
04-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Mobile signal reception can be poor in many areas although there are ways to get around that. My landline connection is also less expensive than a mobile.

I hope so... I didn't get my first billing.

sadaist
04-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Just two weeks ago I finally transferred all of my home VHS tapes to DVD. Took forever since I had to watch them in full to mark where I wanted the chapters to be. But the payoff is I can watch them with ease now....and I can dump that old VCR finally.

Panamark
04-14-2009, 09:08 PM
I would add the old fax machine to this list too..

If I physically have to scan a document, I use
my scanner, then send it in PDF format to the
recipients email or fax machine if they still have it..
Saves heaps of paper, toner, deskspace, phonebills...

Panamark
04-14-2009, 09:10 PM
The Drop in DVD's has happened at the exact same time that
Blu Ray is taking off...

degüello
04-14-2009, 09:53 PM
I can't believe how shitty DVD's look, now that I've gone Blu-Ray.

High Life Man
04-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Blu-ray will be popular for 3 to 5 years. Then everything will be digital and stored on PCs and SANs.

And the movie companies will milk us again....

Panamark
04-14-2009, 10:40 PM
I can't believe how shitty DVD's look, now that I've gone Blu-Ray.

Yep... I'm thinking the same thing.. What payer do you have ?
We got the Panasonic DMP-BD35 for Christmas, highly recommend
this player if you have not already taken the plunge...

ELVIS
04-14-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm still into MiniDisc...

Sony thought of everything. A CD is primitive in comparison...

A MiniDisc can be rewritten over 1000 times, order of songs can be changed, track level can be changed, it has fade in and out features, and it can be recorded on in a totally uncompressed format including many other compressed formats...

And I like having a hard copy of my music. Not a zillion songs on a hand held hard drive...

:elvis:

Panamark
04-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Mechanical (ball type) computer mouses are another to add to the list...

kwame k
04-14-2009, 11:28 PM

Hey Mark, don't really care to hear about your ball fetish. :biggrin:

Sock Fetish Boy was enough.:pullinghair:

Panamark
04-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Hey Mark, don't really care to hear about your ball fetish. :biggrin:

Sock Fetish Boy was enough.:pullinghair:

I love to finger their rings until the balls drop out !!:biggrin:

kwame k
04-14-2009, 11:51 PM
I love to finger their rings until the balls drop out !!:biggrin:

Well, you got that going for ya;)

Panamark
04-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Well, you got that going for ya;)

Yes, I feel blessed.

Dr. Love
04-15-2009, 01:11 AM
hmmm, I can't remember the last time I saw anyone under 30 (especially under 25) wearing a wristwatch.

twonabomber
04-15-2009, 01:20 AM
i don't wear mine much any more. seems like every time i want to wear it the battery is dead...

sadaist
04-15-2009, 01:41 AM
CD's are about to go the way of the 8-track, album & cassette. Another 5 years and all music will be digital. Look at all the record shops that are gone now.

Panamark
04-15-2009, 01:51 AM
Yeah, good call sadaist, as for watches, I wear mine. It looks more like
a Heavy Metal wristband than a watch, for any pre-25's that think
thats uncool :fufu:

Seshmeister
04-15-2009, 05:35 AM
Have Heavy Metal wristbands ever been cool?

I sometimes forget you are from the prison colony... :)

Blaze
04-15-2009, 06:10 AM
I gave up watches for lint.

Igosplut
04-15-2009, 06:47 AM
The one I found interesting is someone was telling me that teenagers now ring doorbells with their thumbs rather than their index fingers because they spend so much time sending SMS/text messages.

Then how do they pick their noses with their thumbs?

degüello
04-15-2009, 07:00 AM
Yep... I'm thinking the same thing.. What payer do you have ?
We got the Panasonic DMP-BD35 for Christmas, highly recommend
this player if you have not already taken the plunge...

We've got a Samsung, very happy with it. Beyond the clarity and detail in the picture, it's the colour quality of Blu-Ray that blows my mind.

Every scene in LOST with the baby blue VW in the jungle just leaps out of the screen.

degüello
04-15-2009, 07:08 AM

I remember taking a keyboarding/typing course and the computers had those types... was like the thing you wet your hands on at a bowling alley.

Panamark
04-15-2009, 07:37 AM
Have Heavy Metal wristbands ever been cool?

I sometimes forget you are from the prison colony... :)

The Island Paradise !

FREEDOM !!!!

Where Heavy Metal wristbands are cool and scottish people
are sent to a very remote place... :)

MACLEAN, NSW, Australia (http://www.nnsw.com.au/maclean/index.html)

http://www.tropicalnsw.com.au/aaa_site/places/towns/maclean.html

Come on over Sesh ! Looks like they could use some help with
the old HTML skills.. lol....

Strangely enough, its in one of the warmer climates ?
Maybe you can find your wee little housie by the sea ??

Dr. Love
04-15-2009, 10:09 AM
I gave up watches for lint.

belly button, or the kind in between your toes?

Blaze
04-15-2009, 11:30 AM
:biggrin:
I'll give up my lint too.... :saint:

Coyote
04-15-2009, 05:04 PM
I ain't throwing my VHS tapes/machine away yet!

There's still life (read: good material) in the old bastards...

kwame k
04-15-2009, 05:59 PM

Just had a random thought about those...... when the ball would get worn you could always use rubbing alcohol on those to clean off the shine and expand the diameter of the ball, to get more life out of them.

LoungeMachine
04-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Everytime one of these Dinosaurs gets replaced, spED's palms begin to itch.

Wonder how many different formats we'll end up buying the 6-pack in overall?

:gulp:

kwame k
04-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Everytime one of these Dinosaurs gets replaced, spED's palms begin to itch.

Wonder how many different formats we'll end up buying the 6-pack in overall?

:gulp:

Let's see.....8-Track, Vinyl, Cassette, CD, MP3, DVD and various other digital formats.

So we'll keep the franchise rolling in $$$ for years to come.

Panamark
04-16-2009, 02:22 AM
Just had a random thought about those...... when the ball would get worn you could always use rubbing alcohol on those to clean off the shine and expand the diameter of the ball, to get more life out of them.

You would always have to clean the rollers too, those rubber balls
pick up all kinds of shit off your mouse mat or desk.
I had a supplier that used to sell new mouse balls..
They told me their biggest customers were schools..
Apparently schoolkids used to love stealing them..
(Would probably be a cool bullet for a slingshot I reckon !)

degüello
04-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Oh, I was thinking of a different type of mouse (maybe it wasn't a "mouse" at all?).

It was a big black ball that sat in the body of the computer, with half of the sphere exposed and half inside, and you rolled it with your hand to move the cursor.