• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR'sCock
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Billy Sheehan approached 5 separate times to join VH

BLABBERMOUTH.NET - BILLY SHEEHAN Discusses MR. BIG Reunion

BigMusicGeek.com: Any truth to the rumors that you were approached regarding replacing Michael Anthony in VAN HALEN? In hindsight, it's a seemingly logical move considering your connection to David Lee Roth as a solo artist…

Billy: "Yeah, I was. For a long time, I denied it because (former VAN HALEN bassist) Michael (Anthony) is a dear friend of mine. I love him so much. I was kinda caught in the middle. It's happened several times. Once right after we (TALAS) toured with them in 1980, it happened again in '82 after the 'Diver Down' record, it happened again just before Dave called me…and then, when I was out of MR. BIG before the Gary Cherone thing (i.e. 1998's 'Van Halen III') happened, I spoke with them and then I spoke with them again after that as well. So it's happened a bunch of times. We've always been toying with it (laughs). I went over to Ed's a couple of times and we jammed and talked about stuff. He's such a wonderful guy. I would love to go out with just Ed and a drummer, ya know? As much as I would have liked to be in the band, I didn't want the band to change because I'm a fan of VAN HALEN. If Michael ain't up there, it ain't the same band, even if it's me, ya know? But I'm sure if the opportunity would have gone further, I would have taken it. We talked about it seriously a couple of different times as several different points, but it never actually materialized. When they got back together with Dave and went out without Michael, I was kinda sad about it. So I'm very honored and I love all of those guys. Alex, Eddie, Dave and Michael, I love them all completely and I wish they were all together again. At least Dave and Eddie are back together again. I'm happy about that, ya know? That's how it goes. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. I'm just glad they're back together and hope they're happy. I love VAN HALEN. I love all four of the Van Halens and they've all been a great, great influence on me."
  • GreenBayLA
    Sniper
    • Jan 2006

Interesting comments, confirms what we already knew to some extent, but 5 times!? Billy the bass player takes the high road but I get the feeling that he doesn't like Alex, he didn't mention him until the end, almost as an afterthought.
    "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

Comment

• Alex Mogilny
      Head Fluffer
      • Apr 2004

Probably the same amount of times Kip Winger was asked to sing for VH.

Comment

• degüello
        Sniper
        • Mar 2004

Seems weird that Eddie would've wanted him in the band so badly.

Eddie is so insecure and jealous of any spotlight sharing, seems strange he'd want another crazy virtuoso on the stage.

Not sure if I buy it.
        "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• GAR
          Banned
          • Jan 2004

Sheehan's discussed in print before about VH approaching even prior to the Cherone incident.

Gary Cherone has the biggest of crack cocaine raccoon's btw, I don't know how he can afford it. It's like he's got two huge pissholes in the snow for eyesockets and I'm a sonuvabitch if I aint jealous of it!

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

''''''''']\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]/////

Comment

• Panamark
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

I heard he auditioned but couldnt play a single open E
              long enough to be accepted...
              BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

Probably a good thing it never happened - with another virtuoso on board we may have had albums filled with widdle-filled meanderings in the middle of songs.

CVH was all about being lean and mean: in, out and done.

Mike was a good fit for that.
                The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Cato
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                  ''''''''']\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]/////
                  yeah, I totally agree with you, fat man.
                  Don't notice most of my posts are less than 2 lines...

Fender Custom Shop Owners Club

Gibson Custom Shop Owners Club

Cato's YouTube Channel

Comment

• Panamark
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Please translate Mr Cato ? I think part of the Da Vinci code is in
                    E's last post ??
                    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Amazing Anthony was able to stay in the band as long as he did, considering how frequently Ed was thinking about dumping him.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Cato
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                        Please translate Mr Cato ? I think part of the Da Vinci code is in
                        E's last post ??
                        he just said "bullshit".
                        Don't notice most of my posts are less than 2 lines...

Fender Custom Shop Owners Club

Gibson Custom Shop Owners Club

Cato's YouTube Channel

Comment

• jero
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jan 2004

They ask Cato all the time....

Comment

• VAiN
                            Use my hand, I won't look
                            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Terry
                            Amazing Anthony was able to stay in the band as long as he did, considering how frequently Ed was thinking about dumping him.
                            I was just thinking this as well.... It's not like it would have been hard to replace Mike with someone other then Billy.
                            Originally posted by wiseguy
                            That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Billy Sheehan didn't sound right playing CVH with EUASB; his virtuoso style would have mashed with Ed's playing...

It's amazing how Ed has always had such an epic hard-on for the most inoffensive guy in the band. was this all just a salary dumping attempt?

Comment

Working...