Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do you think it's still like this Post-Election?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you think it's still like this Post-Election?

Dana Milbank - The Choler of Online Comments

The right should be angry, they lost, but why is the left still angry?

Next Choler, Please
    By Dana Milbank
    Sunday, April 19, 2009

Dear Reader:

I wish to apologize to you for my behavior last week.

On Tuesday, I learned that I am a right-wing hack. I am not a journalist. I am typical of the right wing. I am why newspapers are going broke. I write garbage. I am angry with Barack Obama. I misquote Obama. I am bitter. I am a certified idiot. I am lame. I am a Republican flack.

On Thursday, I realized that I am a media pimp with my lips on Obama's butt. I am a bleeding-heart liberal who wants nothing more than for the right to fall on its face. I am part of the ObamaMedia. I am pimping for the left. I am carrying water for Obama. Lord, am I an idiot.

I discovered all this from the helpful feedback provided to me in the "reader comments" section at the end of my past four columns on washingtonpost.com. I undertook this exercise on the advice of former washingtonpost.com editor Doug Feaver, who wrote on these pages recently that journalists need to take the comments seriously ["Listening to the Dot-Comments," op-ed, April 9]. Further, he added in his blog, "those who don't are making a mistake."

Now, I may be a pimp and an idiot -- but I did not want to make a mistake. So I reviewed all 1,800 comments posted on my columns over the course of a week. As a sociological experiment, it was fascinating.

The comments are naturally an unscientific indicator, but the impression I got is consistent with what I've heard from colleagues: The vitriol of last year's presidential campaign has outlasted the election. For the right, this isn't terribly surprising; their guys lost the White House in 2008 and control of both chambers of Congress in 2006, so lashing out in frustration is to be expected. The left, however, is more difficult to explain. It made sense for them to be angry when George W. Bush was in the White House. But now, even under Obama, the anger on the left is, if anything, more personal and vitriolic than on the right.

A reader in an online chat brought this to my attention a couple of months ago, noting the animosity in the comments following a column. "Did you torture their cats and grandmothers? Most of the truly unhinged comments appear to come from Democrats, who apparently think you're Cindy McCain in reverse drag."

I replied that, to keep my blood pressure under control, I don't read the comments, and that I did, in fact, torture their cats.

Well, last week I read the comments. On April 10, I wrote a column about an Obama appearance urging Americans to refinance their mortgages -- a fairly gentle piece pointing out that the president sounded like a LendingTree.com pitchman. The comments compared me to Bernard Goldberg and Glenn Beck. One complained that "I gave Bush and the Republicans a pass."

Actually, a National Review column called me "the most anti-Bush reporter" in the White House press corps, but never mind that. "Uh oh, Milbank," wrote commenter "farfalle44." "Now the Obamabots have labeled you an Obama hater -- watch out!"

For Thursday's column, I criticized the "tea party" outside the White House. Conservatives left hundreds of indignant comments -- I was an Obama "lap dog" and "licking Obama's shoes" -- but that didn't buy me credibility with the left. "You do a real good job of attracting all the ill-informed, mathematically challenged, left-wing haters," said one reader. "I bet ya mom's really proud!"

So why is the left so angry? I don't know (I'm an idiot), so I put the question to the readers in my weekly online chat on Friday.

A reader from Rockville described it as a "sore winner" phenomenon. "People get used to being angry and when things change, they don't. So they find stuff to be mad about." Another said that some on the left "feel obligated to stay in the fight" because of the harsh treatment of Obama by the right.

But many focused on a frustration on the left caused by Obama's centrism -- his opposition to prosecuting those involved with torture, for example. "I am angry because the whole Republican party has not been rounded up and thrown into a black site," one wrote. A reader in Evanston, Ill., took a similar view, that true believers on the left don't want "b.s. rhetoric about looking forward." Okay, but why wouldn't this be directed at Obama? Readers explained that some of it is. But, "if we yell obscenities at Obama," replied a reader in Dunnellon, Fla., "we get a visit from the Secret Service. Yelling them at you is worry-free."

So the angry left should thank me: I'm taking one for the team.

WTF is this about?

The "left is still angry"...the "left won".

What exactly did the left win?

This whole thing points out that if you're not on the right, you're automatically left.

Bullshit. Not even close to true. The division tactics need to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by hideyoursheep View Post
      WTF is this about?

This whole thing points out that if you're not on the right, you're automatically left.

What about that if you're not on the left, you're automatically a wrong, gun loving, bible clutching, uneducated spaghetti monster worshiping fascist?
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Why would a spaghetti monster worshipping fascist be clutching a Bible?
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Originally posted by sadaist View Post
          What about that if you're not on the left, you're automatically a wrong, gun loving, bible clutching, uneducated spaghetti monster worshiping fascist?
          Those people are always angry.

Comment

Originally posted by FORD View Post
            Why would a spaghetti monster worshipping fascist be clutching a Bible?
            For thumpin'?
            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

WTF is this about?

See, I actually agree with you on some issues. Your last sentence is the way I feel. I posted this asking the question to those on both sides: why are we still like this? There isn't really a reason to be that way.

You dispute though, that the "left won" the White House and the majority in Congress? What is to dispute?

Comment

Not all Democrats are left-wing.

You ought to know better than that. The country isn't as divided into red and blue issues as you've been led to believe, regardless of who runs the show. The boisterous ones at the far sides of either party get all of the attention, that's about it.

Ohio and Pennsylvania are hardly left-wing, just fed the fuck up with incompetence and voted accordingly last time....albeit 4 years too late.

Comment

...albeit 4 years too late.
                  And that is debatable.

Comment

I think very few people are in lockstep with their associated political party. Someone posted a thread here awhile ago, if I remember correctly, with a link that helped you determine your political party. I think it ended up I should be an "american federalist".

I vote independent because I don't agree with Republicans on a lot of issues, mostly as it relates to religion. I'm kinda strict about the separation of the two.

Question for all: What do you disagree with your "party" on?

Comment

I "hate" my party on MANY issues.

Not the least of which, the spineless simps they elect to "lead" their party.

I'm pissed at Obama for alot of his cabinet and sub cabinet picks.

Reid and Pelosi both need to be shown the door......

That's all I have the patience for right now. I'll post more chum for you later....
                      Originally posted by Kristy
                      Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                      Originally posted by cadaverdog
                      I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

Not about chum, just think the team sports concept needs to be shown the door before anything. I don't want to fight against people along party lines but on ideas. The party conflict is what maintains the status quo for those who chum the waters to keep it that way. Extremists in some ways are the political parties closest allies.

Comment

After being angry for so long, it's probably going to take a lot of people longer than a few months to adjust.

Plus, I think expectations are high and people will feel let down from time to time and be upset. Or they may feel like there is a chance to go in a new direction and direct their anger to anyone perceived to be impeding that opportunity.

Who knows.
                          I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Big Train View Post
                            So why is the left so angry?
                            Maybe because they are realizing they got suckered in by a multi-million-dollar campaign, and a cool, smooth talking lawyer, who could probably out debate Bill Clinton on what the meaning of is, is ??

Hahaha...

Comment

I dont feel "suckered"

But I am dismayed, a little impatient, and very angry that so many people got away with MURDER [literally] the last 8 years. Fuck this "time to move forward" crap. What happened to The Right's love of THE RULE OF LAW?

The economic mess we were left with/dealt, seems to be a combination of a last minute cash grab, as well as a GREAT way to distract the population form the most heinous crimes commited in their name.

Yes, I'm an angry, bitter, pissed off Lefty. One elected Dem for POTUS doesn't wipe clean the last 8 years in my book. Especially when he's not playing the same tunes he did in the campaign.

But I'm NOT turning on him, nor his ideals just yet. Jesus it's only April.

But the Dems better get their shit together, or the mid-terms are going to hit them like a 10,000 lb. shithammer.

Originally posted by Kristy
                              Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                              Originally posted by cadaverdog
                              I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

Working...
                              X